A family accidentally buys $10K in Disney+ gift cards rather than park gift cards!

It's silly to me that they couldn't make these cards universal to begin with. Can't imagine this doesn't happen more often, though maybe not with $10,000 at a time....

That sounds like something I would do. Except for the $10,000 part, I mean. I might do it with a $50 gift card, but $10k? Yikes. Glad they got it worked out.

Agee with a previous poster, someone made a mistake, the company did the nice thing when they didn’t have too, seems like a non-story story?
I agree that the company fixed it for the family when they didn't have to, but it's definitely a story! Imagine someone dropping $10k on the wrong gift cards. The company made it right for them, probably because the PR would not look good if they didn't since the family went public with it, but it's the kind of thing people love to hear about. You can say to yourself, "Jeez, I've done some dumb things, but spending $10,000 on the wrong GCs?"

Agee with a previous poster, someone made a mistake, the company did the nice thing when they didn’t have too, seems like a non-story story?
I posted it for two reasons.

1. Because it’s an interesting anecdote. It wasn’t intended as a criticism of either side.

2. So others are aware that this is not an impossible mistake to make. Forewarned is forearmed.

I agree that the company fixed it for the family when they didn't have to, but it's definitely a story! Imagine someone dropping $10k on the wrong gift cards. The company made it right for them, probably because the PR would not look good if they didn't since the family went public with it, but it's the kind of thing people love to hear about. You can say to yourself, "Jeez, I've done some dumb things, but spending $10,000 on the wrong GCs?"
That’s a story I wouldn’t want published about me … but I guess it is reminiscent of the “stupid human tricks” on a late night show …so I guess there is an audience for anything these days!

I posted it for two reasons.

1. Because it’s an interesting anecdote. It wasn’t intended as a criticism of either side.

2. So others are aware that this is not an impossible mistake to make. Forewarned is forearmed.
It’s still a non-story story to me - while I appreciate the sentiment around a warning - I still can’t purchase (nor expect to) a Whopper at Wendy’s - (which I have tried)

It's stupid that Disney has different gift cards for different things. I'll give them that.

I do not agree with the statement that Disney needs to do better on the gift card design (as shown in the original TikTok). The quote from the video: "Disney Plus, as a marketer, your gift cards need redesigning to be more clearly differentiated." The below is the design from the gift cards in question.

1703176359018.png

Regular Disney gift cards do not look anything like that- at least the ones I've seen. The Disney+ card literally says, "Stream the best stories all in one place." STREAM. I do not know what they want from the design.

I get that the couple who purchased these are in their 70s and apparently don't know what streaming is, but I want to know what possessed these people to buy $10,000 in gift cards without checking all the rules. I mean, they knew they could buy gift cards to buy tickets and pay for a vacation. They bought them at Sam's Club, presumably to take advantage of discounts. So they're clever enough that they know they can get, effectively, a discounted trip, but they're naïve enough to not know what Disney+ is?

I wish them luck. Buying tickets 7 days before their trip during the Christmas season must be pretty stressful on its own. (ETA: for a group of 16 people, no less.)

Agree, feels like the only point of the story is to laugh at them.
I saw it more as a cautionary tale, but it's true that my initial reaction was to wonder who in the world would buy $10,000 worth of gift cards. Not because I think it's dumb (though I personally wouldn't feel secure going that route), but because it just seems like so many things could go wrong.

I saw it more as a cautionary tale, but it's true that my initial reaction was to wonder who in the world would buy $10,000 worth of gift cards. Not because I think it's dumb (though I personally wouldn't feel secure going that route), but because it just seems like so many things could go wrong.
The part that actually baffles me more than buying $10,000 worth of gift cards is the fact that in the original Tik Tok where the story was shared, the couple's daughter says they're supposed to leave in 6 days. So the couple waited until approx. a week before the trip to even try using the cards to buy their tickets??? During holiday time at the parks?

The part that actually baffles me more than buying $10,000 worth of gift cards is the fact that in the original Tik Tok where the story was shared, the couple's daughter says they're supposed to leave in 6 days. So the couple waited until approx. a week before the trip to even try using the cards to buy their tickets??? During holiday time at the parks?
Yeah...that's crazy!

IDK, my sister is in her 70s, DH & I are mid to late 60s. We all know exactly what streaming is. So I don’t but into the “They’re in their 70s” excuse. Mostly I can’t help wondering what would have happened if the daughter wasn’t a Tik Toker. Would some anonymous family have gotten this level of assistance?

And yea, that gift card is pretty clear what it’s for.

Question is what store would allow someone to purchase 10k in gift cards in the first place given all of the fraud detection and stops in place to avoid people getting scammed? If it was at somewhere like Sam's, they keep track of these purchases.

The part that annoys me is the family member complaining that even though Disney made it right by converting the Disney+ gift cards to Disney gift cards that Disney should give them even more to compensate for the so-called trauma they've gone through.

The part that annoys me is the family member complaining that even though Disney made it right by converting the Disney+ gift cards to Disney gift cards that Disney should give them even more to compensate for the so-called trauma they've gone through.
WOW. There goes my sympathy. Entitled, much?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter