A dumb question before our first cruise! (March 31 - Dream, Western Caribbean)

rja151

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone! My family (wife and daughter, 6) and I are getting really close to our first cruise. It snuck up on us and we can't believe that it is only a couple months away. We've never been on a cruise before, and really have no idea what to expect. I successfully some port excursions and on ship activities (our little one can't wait for BBB for one of the days at sea). I've been pretty happy with the planning we've done so far and feel like it's going to be an awesome experience.

However, I have a colleague who kinda gave me an odd look when I said I didn't book a concierge level room. The price was crazy high when compared to the room we got, and it just didn't appear to make a ton of sense at the time. That said, I had (and continue to have) no idea what I declined when I opted against it, and if it's really worth the added cost. Is this going to make a huge difference for our trip? I assume there aren't that many people booking concierge level rooms, but I guess I could be wrong?

Anyway, sorry for the dumb question. We're really looking forward to the trip, and we're having a lot of fun preparing!

Here's a quick summary of some of the Disney Cruise Line concierge benefits.

• Priority booking of activities and excursions 120 days before sailing.
  • Priority boarding — be among the first on the ship.
  • Access to the concierge lounge with included food and drinks.
  • Complimentary wine, beer and spirits in the concierge lounge in the evenings.
  • Free popcorn in the movie theaters.
  • Priority seating for the evening shows.
  • Priority walk-off on debarkation day.
  • Room service ordering of hot breakfast or dinner from the main restaurants.
  • Access to knowledgeable and helpful concierge hosts.
You get your sit down dining, room service dining, buffet breakfast and lunch, pool deck beverage station w water, soda, coffee, hot water, pool deck quick service food all included in a regular room. So don’t really think concierge is necessary

Regular rooms:
Room service breakfast is continental. There is a card in your desk drawer that you fill out and stick on your door the night before. You can also do breakfast and lunch at Cabanas ( or Marceline Market on Wish) . One of the dining rooms will be open for breakfast and lunch. Dinner is assigned to you and it rotates between the three dining rooms . So it will tell you on the DCL app where you are eating, what time and what table number. It will also show you the menu.

Cabanas is the buffet. The pool deck will have a food court area w free soft serve, pizza, burgers and fries, chicken tenders, sandwiches.

Last edited:
You and your family will be fine in a non-concierge room, especially for your first cruise. Concierge class on Disney ships has some benefits, as listed above, but not as many as for Concierge on some other cruise lines.

As you can see from the list of benefits , traveling Concierge can decrease waits and make you feel pampered, but you will probably feel pampered by your cabin host and dining room servers even without concierge.

For the additional cost of Concierge, you could book another cruise. Enjoy this cruise and don’t worry about what else you could have done.

I have been on 10 Disney cruises, sure concierge might be nice, but you will have a fantastic time on the cruise without it. I enjoy the boat and we never book excursions because we like being on the boat. From what I have read the lounge with free drinks is only open from 5pm- 10pm. So we didn't see that there was a massive value on booking that type of room. I think you will enjoy your time on the ship there is so much to do that is included in the cruise fare.

That is such a weird response from your coworker. The percentage of people in concierge is really low compared to everyone else. I really don't see the benefit based on the cost. I've never considered it and doubt I ever will.

Hey everyone! My family (wife and daughter, 6) and I are getting really close to our first cruise. It snuck up on us and we can't believe that it is only a couple months away. We've never been on a cruise before, and really have no idea what to expect. I successfully some port excursions and on ship activities (our little one can't wait for BBB for one of the days at sea). I've been pretty happy with the planning we've done so far and feel like it's going to be an awesome experience.

However, I have a colleague who kinda gave me an odd look when I said I didn't book a concierge level room. The price was crazy high when compared to the room we got, and it just didn't appear to make a ton of sense at the time. That said, I had (and continue to have) no idea what I declined when I opted against it, and if it's really worth the added cost. Is this going to make a huge difference for our trip? I assume there aren't that many people booking concierge level rooms, but I guess I could be wrong?

Anyway, sorry for the dumb question. We're really looking forward to the trip, and we're having a lot of fun preparing!

Concierge rooms are typically the first category to sell out. There are fewer of them as opposed to the other categories, but they are in high demand. That being said, just in terms of the sheer number of staterooms, many more guests are sailing non-concierge. DCL has been around for 25 years and many, many guests love sailing with them, concierge and non-concierge. It sounds like you are really looking forward to what you have booked and what you have planned. I would go enjoy the cruise and stateroom you have booked! If you love it, perhaps you'll try concierge another time or discover what you experience as a non-concierge is fantastic and you are happy with it!

That is such a weird response from your coworker. The percentage of people in concierge is really low compared to everyone else. I really don't see the benefit based on the cost. I've never considered it and doubt I ever will.
They’re somewhat of a “one-upper.” Thank you for sharing your experience!

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the background and hearing about your experiences. We really can’t wait and are just looking forward to exploring the ship with our daughter, relaxing, swimming, and being together. Our daughter has been to Disney World once, but asked to go on the cruise instead of going back to the parks after she saw a commercial. I’m hoping she’ll love it. It’s all she’s been talking about.

For a first time cruiser (or for us as repeat cruisers), you will be more than happy in a regular DCL stateroom. We are platinum and cruised concierge once a while back when the price difference for a 7 night Western was only about an extra $500 for all five of us. We did like the lounge, but we can’t justify paying the extra $$$ DCL wants for concierge now. Enjoy your cruise!

We have sailed 6 times with Disney (all Verandah, not concierge) and about 25-30 times on other cruises (often in suites or on “all suite” ships like Regent and Seabourn). In general, I don’t see a need to sail concierge with Disney and for your first cruise, I would strongly advise against it because those rooms are all at the front 1/3 of the ship where there is a lot of motion.

My personal opinion is that concierge is potentially worth it if you have an “absolute must do” shore excursion or very limited quantity onboard activity, but I’ve been able to find most of what I want by compulsively checking the app. We love the suite perks and suite restaurant on Celebrity ships — but DCL doesn’t have a special suite restaurant (it’s adult restaurants are quite good, especially on Dream/Fantasy) and I am so busy doing stuff (trivia, classes, character meets) that I’m not sure I’d get that much out of the concierge lounge and I’d feel guilty for not using it.

Full disclosure— we are going to sail Concierge on a birthday trip for my 8th sailing later this year, but trip 7 will be a verandah and I suspect 9 and 10 will as well. I regret not being cruise for about 45m on embarkation day and 1h on disembarkation day, but you can generally pay for an entire additional cruise (or at least a week at Disney World if you already have a pass) for the price difference between verandah and concierge and usually we’d prefer the extra trip— I also remain nervous about how well we’d do in rough seas towards the very front.

Oh my- you don't need to sail concierge to have an amazing time. We have done both-as a platinum family-many more non concierge than concierge. When it makes sense with $$-not paying double for a cruise (I can take another for that amount of cash) or we are up for some extra pampering. But otherwise you will be perfectly fine.

Concierge is not needed, in fact even balcony / verandah are not needed. Ive been on two cruises, Norwegian Fjords and a 4 night Spain and have had amazing cruises with an inside room. Im booked again this year in an inside room for a 5 night Spain cruise.

There is no shame in choosing an inside room for whatever reason.

7 cruises in with sevreral more coming up, we've never done concierge and have no desire to. I'd rather save the money towards another cruise. Although we're in the group that is also fine with an inside room, so there's that. We've loved every cruise!

You do not need concierge room. We splurge on a lot of things but never felt the perks of DCL concierge rooms were in any way worth the price. Just relax and have fun!

In 14 cruises, we've never sailed concierge on DCL and see no reason to, nor do we see any value in it. Not only is it way too expensive for what you get, in our opinion, but we don't even need, want or see the point in a lot of the things you get for concierge even if the price was lower. It's not for everyone. I have no idea why someone would think it's odd that you didn't book concierge.

I'm a solidly gold cruiser and I only have ever paid for my 2nd floor porthole room. I've never done any of the speciality dining, I've never done any drink classes, I, basically, have never done anything that I have to pay extra for (aside from excursions) and have never booked anything that I have to stay up until midnight for, and obviously I enjoy myself enough to keep going back again and again.

I'm a solidly gold cruiser and I only have ever paid for my 2nd floor porthole room. I've never done any of the speciality dining, I've never done any drink classes, I, basically, have never done anything that I have to pay extra for (aside from excursions) and have never booked anything that I have to stay up until midnight for, and obviously I enjoy myself enough to keep going back again and again.
Same! And in 7 cruises, I think we've only done two official excursions!

It sounds like you have done better than Concierge - you got a BBB booking for your daughter! 🎉

You seem to be on track. Just make sure you have your ID documents and sunscreen and there’s not a lot left to do.

I went on my first cruise with limited knowledge - basically, watching The Love Boat as a teen and Kathy Lee Gifford pitching Carnival. Add a few trips to WDW into the mix and I headed to Port Canaveral. I didn’t “miss” anything that cruise - if I did, I probably have done it on subsequent cruises.

(My take - if your family is used to / expects Executive Level Hotel experiences, you did want Concierge. But you also booked a vacation on a floating hotel with thousands of other people - who share dining rooms and a big auditorium with you. If you “need“ Concierge, you really need to sail on a yacht. And, yes, I have purposefully paid for those rooms in the past.)

Bon Voyage! Hope you have a Magical time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter