A Disneyland Proposal....

Yorkieal

Planning something magical...
Hi everyone!

Firstly, a plea for patience as this is a big request! And a further begging plea for some BIG HELP from you fellow DLP enthusiasts!

Further on from my last post regarding contact info for the Disneyland Hotel, I thought I'd tell you all what I've got planned....or at least what I'm hoping to have planned in a year or so's time!

To cut a long story short, my girlfriend (28) is absolutely Disney-mad and I've had the idea of proposing to her at Disneyland for the last few years now. I saw a similar topic on the forum earlier this year but it was a little different from what I'm thinking. We've been twice before, once for the 15th Anniversary celebrations and once just last week. On our first visit we stayed at the Santa Fe, but last week we just popped in for the day after I'd done the Paris Marathon the day before. We arrived at 7.30am and left at 11.30pm. Note: 16 HOURS AT DLP THE DAY AFTER RUNNING 26 MILES IS NOT ADVISABLE ! :)

Anyhow, I used the most recent trip as a kind-of scouting mission to see what I could come up regards idea's on popping the question and came up with the following. Now bear with me as I'm not sure if this will sound ridiculous or if it's just not realistic at all.....

Firstly, observations from last week:
* We had a character breakfast in the Steakhouse, she loved it!
* She (well, me too!) got all giddy whenever we saw any characters, all day!
* Dreams was utterly amazing, we were both truly captivated by it.
* She said, on numerous occasions, how fantastic it would be to stay at the Disneyland Hotel.
* I observed how fantastic it would be to watch Dreams from a balcony in the hotel.

So, I've come up with some sort of elaborate concoction of a plan to ask her to marry me. Which goes a little along the lines of this;

* I'd tell her we were going to DLP but staying off-site or at the Santa Fe, only telling her when we actually arrived at the resort, or if the secret came out at the Eurostar check-in desk, eitherway I'd lie for as long as I could!:rolleyes1 To be fair to her, she'd be happy staying in a tent if it meant to was going to DLP!

* After the first night, the next day I'm aiming to create her perfect 'Disney Day'. That would include;

* I do a fair bit of running which would give me an excuse to nip out for a 'quick 5K' whilst she was still in bed. I'd then hope to speak to someone on reception (who ideally I'd liased with previously) regards my plans for the evening...

* A Character breakfast.

* Getting into the park during extra-magic-hours (if they're in the morning) and having lunch, then a full day charging around in the Parks before....

* Getting all dressed up for an evening meal in either Inventions of the California Grill. This way she can't complain how she looks when I pop the question later on...

* Following the meal I'd suggest we watch Dreams (or whatever light/firework show is on in October) from our room/ an area with a balcony. I'd get some drinks in, and propose during the fireworks. I know she would absolutely love it!

* It'd be amazing if, literally just after the show finishes, there's a knock at the door and they deliver flowers, wine and balloons.

SO...... my question is...is any of these feasible whatsoever??

If money was no problem whatsoever then this whole scheme would probably be ten times easier, I'd just pay whatever it took, however, I'm certainly no millionaire but am willing to save up a decent wedge over the next 17 months to make it as magical as possible. My wallet will kill me for saying this but I'm thinking about £5,000 for the whole thing would be as much as I'm prepared to spend.....

QUESTIONS:

1) When we first visited (in 2007) there wasn't a firework/light show but it seems they have them all the time now. I'm looking at bringing her for her birthday next October. Now I'm aware that folk won't have the slightest what the programme will be like for Autumn 2014, but what's the chances of there still been evening fireworks?

2) Does anyone know the exact situation with the rooms in the Castle Club? Obviously if I had mega£ I'd just take the Cinderella Suite, but are there other rooms available with balcony-views of the Castle?

3) Or failing that, is there a viewing balcony we could have to ourselves (I know this is a big ask)? I know she'd love the big gesture but she certainly wouldn't like the attention of other people if I did it in a crowd! Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to stay in one of the park-facing rooms but if I can save £2K but just staying in a Standard Room I'll take it...!

4) Thoughts on California Grill/Inventions? Romantic? Good for vegetarians (as she is)?

5) Regards the 'knock on the door' afterwards, it'd be amazing to have a character present too, is this a realistic possibility? Think I read somewhere they do 'private appearances' for a rather large sum....it'd literally be for five minutes!

6) Is there anywhere to go for cocktails/posh drinks following this? Bearing in mind it'd probably be 11pm by this time!

I've tried emailing the hotel and reservations, and calling both too but I've had no reply to any emails and the staff I spoke to were, whilst very polite, fairly unhelpful and weren't willing to give me a ballpark figure on what I'd be expecting to pay for such a trip as such an early stage.

I'm just looking at this so early (as I say, planning for Oct 2014) to give myself plenty of time to get the funds together, and to give it the best chance possible!

Can I have some folk's thoughts on this please? Just want to know if what I'm thinking is hugely unrealistic? And any other suggestions would be greatly welcome!

Thanks everyone, hoping I can make it happen!

Wow lovely plan!

If you want to save the cost of a balcony room at the DLH you could book the Wishes Meal. It costs 199 Euros each and is a magical experiance, I treaded my DW to it in March.

First you have a cocktail in the Fantasia Cafe then you get taken up to the Founders Club and you get your own balcony and a glass of champagne to watch Dreams! and the fireworks. Then after that your taken down to the California Grill for a fantastic 5 course dinner.

Wow lovely plan!

If you want to save the cost of a balcony room at the DLH you could book the Wishes Meal. It costs 199 Euros each and is a magical experiance, I treaded my DW to it in March.

First you have a cocktail in the Fantasia Cafe then you get taken up to the Founders Club and you get your own balcony and a glass of champagne to watch Dreams! and the fireworks. Then after that your taken down to the California Grill for a fantastic 5 course dinner.

Now that sounds fantastic. I wonder if I slip them another £100ish they could arrange our own 'private' balcony..? As I assumer the balcony would be shared with other folk also having the Wishes Meal?

Any more info from anymore is much appreciated!! :)

If I remember correctly there are three balconies in the founders club and we had the place to ourselves when we had our Wishes Meal package.

It all sounds amazing but I just wonder if you might be better off proposing in the morning? It sounds like you're planning some amazing things and it would be a shame if you were too nervous to enjoy them! (I know I would be on edge the whole time until the deed was done!).

I read a trip report on here where they went into the parks first thing in the morning and he proposed on the balcony of the castle and it sounded so romantic (if I hadn't been married for years already I'd be dropping my OH some serious hints!). Then once the deed is done you can enjoy an amazing day together doing all the fantastic things you have planned.

Just my twopence worth!

Wow lovely plan!

Sorry to hijack just a little, but could you give any ideas on what the courses were?

Also, great plan and good luck! :)

Your plan sounds wonderful! Absolutely perfect. How exciting!

My fiance proposed to me in Disneyland last May and it was so romantic - JUST IN CASE the balcony idea doesn't work for you, from a woman's point of view you I can highly recommend what he did, which I LOVED:

We had cocktails and Lobster at the Blue Lagoon restaurant and then watched Dreams from nice and close up to get the full impact. Then once it was over and everyone started to leave he said to me "Let's hang back - no point in getting caught up in the crush to leave" so we went and sat on a bench in front of the castle and reflected on the amazing show we had just seen! Soon we were the only ones in front of the castle and I got up and started to take photos of the castle covered in pretty lights. Then I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around and he was down on one knee!! It was just us - no one else saw apart from a street sweeper who gave my other half the thumbs up :-). Then we went back to the hotel and raided the minibar in celebration!

Good luck with your plan! I'm sure she'll love it!

Sounds a wonderful plan. :) I really hope it works for you and 100% recommend you try and get a contact helping you before you go.

My DH proposed to me in DLRP (in the morning, at the castle when no one else was in the park) and he struggled just getting a CM to care enough to arrange flowers and champagne. He left me during breakfast at the DLH and went to concierge (told me he had a bad stomach - lol!) and he said they really weren't very helpful and it was hard work.

I wouldn't change my proposal for the world but I think he wishes they'd been a bit more 'Disney' about it all. We did get lovely champagne and flowers (& they didn't charge us) but it wouldn't have been feasible for him to have asked a certain time of for a character etc without some mega pre-trip planning.

If this were WDW or DLR I'd say you could do the whole thing no problem, but DLRP just isn't geared towards that sort of engagement.

Just remember though that its about the two of you, not all the extras. I'm sure for your fiancé (as for me) just being in a magical place at on such a special day would make it her dream engagement. The wedding is where you can really go all out!!!

If I remember correctly there are three balconies in the founders club and we had the place to ourselves when we had our Wishes Meal package.

Now we're talking! That could literally save me about three grand! Ha ha!

Does anyone have a link to more info on the Wishes Meal package? Or any more info in general? Would love to hear people's experiences!

Thanks for the help so far, much appreciated, keep it coming!

Hooray this is so exciting!

I don't really have answers to your questions but I wanted to chime in as my DH proposed to me at DLRP on my 25th birthday in December 2010 :D

It's such a special place, she will absolutely love it! We went for dinner at the steak house, then DH tried to get me to go over to a little hill by Lake Disney in the snow where he was planning to propose. I mention this because, as I literally had NO IDEA what he was planning, I got all stubborn and insisted that we go back to the hotel as it was freezing! That thrwarted his plans somewhat and he did it there and then by the lake, which actually worked out beautifully, but I would suggest that if you think she has no idea, make sure you have good reasons for telling her (rather than asking her!) what your plans are! If she's anything like me she may want a say in the plans, which may ruin yours! Perhaps you could say you're planning a birthday surprise and she has to do what she's told, if you think she won't cotton on :lovestruc

We went to Hurricanes straight after for drinks and dancing, which was brill, but that's closed now. Cocktails / champagne in the bar at DLH would be lovely!

How lovely, this all takes me back :cloud9::love:

Good luck!

Christine xxx

Well you guys are certainly more help than DLP themselves. Have tried calling and just got passed from department to department and have had now answer whatsoever from the nine emails I've sent to three different email addresses.....:rolleyes2

I'm way too excited about this whole concept given how far away it is! I want it to happen next week, never mind next October!!!

Congrats on the future proposal!!

I proposed to my fiancee in DLP in July 2011, it was so magical, my fiancee is a massive Disney nut, it was alao a birthday surprise.

I initially told her we were going to London for a few days for her birthday, told her what clothes to take etc, then on the morning of her birthday she opened her one present which were the Eurostar tickets, she was so excited but that was just the start.... When we got there we went round the parks, did all her favourite things, I then took her to her favourite resturant on the night which is Rainforest Cafe, we had a lovely meal, I timed the meal so we would be out by 9:30ish, I then took her for a walk round the lake, it was a lovely warm night, after a nice stroll we got to the end of the lake near Sequioa Lodge and had a perfect view of where the fireworks would be going off and I proposed just as the fireworks started, it waso magical, we then watched the fireworks from a distance.

I was so pleased with how it all went down and she was so happy with it all.

Good luck with all the planning!!

Still nothing on the email front from DLP :( . Have checked my spam folders etc to make sure nothings slipped in there, and haven't had any 'delivery failure' message either....

Been looking at the dates and I'm pretty fixed on heading out on Sunday October 26th. I know it's a long long way off but anyone know when they'll start take booking for then? Do they work about nine months in advance?

Other questions; any idea what time Café Fantasia in the DL Hotel is open until on an evening?

Also, any other suggestions of romantic/classic Disney stuff I could do to add to the day, please feel free to add!

Well, they're taking bookings up until end March 2014 on the website so I reckon it will be in the autumn.

I'm not sure what the official closing time of Cafe Fantasia is but I do know we've been in there after midnight.

Your plans sound wonderful but for me, just being taken there would be more than enough! There's a spa at the DLH if you wanted to treat your DF, or else just spend the time wandering round and smelling the roses, there's so much wonderful detail.

Ooh nice idea regards the Spa!

FINALLY got a reply from one of the many emails I sent, this one is regarding information for the wishes meal:

Good day,

We propose an evening called "A dream to live" that is divided into three times :

- a cocktail at the bar,

- a menu at the gourmet restaurant Californai Grill,

- an access at a private lounge where you see the lazer show "Dreams".

It costs 199 € for an adult and 69 e for a child.

The show is at the closing time of the Disneyland Park (ex : 22h this month). You have the choice of the time for the dinner and the bar.
Many thanks,

Best regards.
Romain

Service Conciergerie
Disneyland Hotel
Tel: +33 (0) 1 60 45 66 77

I replied to this email and asked if a vegetarian option was available for the meal. To be fair he emailed back within the hour but the response was disappointing:

Good afternoon,

In the menu, the chef proposes as starters (smoked salmon, duck foie gras, crab), main courses (turbot, beef, gambas), cheeses and desserts with wine included.

During the show, we serve you a glass of champagne.

This package is avalaible every day until September 2013.

Now I'm not sure if he's just mistaken what I've asked? Surely an esteemed establishment such as DLH offer veggie options??

Unfortunately vegetarians get a really rum deal at DLP but hopefully there will be an option. I'd email back and ask again if there's a veggie option. Hopefully Jonjo will see this as he may remember if there was one on the menu.

Got an email back from DLH regards the veggie option, apparently the starter is smoked salmon and the main is 'Turboy'. Girlfriend doesn't eat fish as well as meat, and what on earth is Turboy? Have tried googling it but no luck...

Another question, when booking a standard room at DLH you're offered a 'terrace' for an additional £300. By a terrace do they mean a balcony, or an actual ground-floor terrace?! Wondering if it's worth the extra cash....?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter