A Disney-Addicted Mom runs W&D, Dopey, and cruises Europe *update 5/9*

How was your trip to Rome??? I'm sure Easter was memorable for sure!!!
We bought our plane tickets to Paris. They were SO expensive. We're flying XL which is a discount French airline out of JFK. Our flight is actually close to midnight and we land around noon. We should be able to get into the apartment right away.
Are you running the Mini 10k? I can't remember. I think you had a conflict?

Amanda

I should have read a little further and I would have seen your flight times for Paris! You will be in great shape with those times - it just is so much easier to land at noon when your body thinks it's around 6 am instead of landing at 7 am, and being exhausted and groggy all day. We were tired by the evening but ready to go the next morning and never really felt the jet-lag. If you haven't already, book a time for the Eiffel tower - the lines will be very long in August without an advance time frame. And if you are going to go to the Louvre, consider the city pass or see if you can get tickets ahead of time. It is insanely crowded in the summer and the lines for tickets can be 45 minutes long. It will also take about 45 minutes to see the Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo and the Winged Victory. If the kids have a major interest, go for it, otherwise, I'm not sure I'd want to attempt it with kids your ages lol. They will probably enjoy the pyramid outside and running around in that area! You can take some fun pictures of them standing on the white blocks "holding" the pyramid.

My mom and my oldest son are going to France in June. They are doing an Adventures By Disney trip, so I will let you know if they come across any really cool things to do with kids.

If your kids are confident bike riders, The Fat Tire Bike Company does some awesome tours - we've done them in Barcelona, Paris and London - lots of fun and they have kids' bikes.

What itinerary change did they make to your cruise?

Rome was fantastic!! We all had such a great time. We wound up hitting all the major sights and coming across some special events for the holidays as well - in addition to Easter, last Monday was their independence day. And Easter was very memorable - we were lucky and got great seats! Most of the 100,000+ were standing, so we were very grateful for that! And Connor snapped these great shots as the big guy himself went by :-) (you can get an idea of our location too - behind us was a sea of people)

Oh, I forgot to add, I am doing the mini 10k, so I will see you there! Are you doing Brooklyn? I am finishing up my 9+1 by June, so I'll be doing the mini-10k along with Brooklyn, the Queens 10k and the Pride run. Then no races until the fall - at least on the schedule! Where are you staying in Atlanta? We have a room on hold at Loews - seemed like a good price and location and it's refundable if the official hotels look better. Just need to book air for that one - after getting an amazing price for W&D, the Atlanta flights seem high right now so I am waiting and hoping they come down.

I should have read a little further and I would have seen your flight times for Paris! You will be in great shape with those times - it just is so much easier to land at noon when your body thinks it's around 6 am instead of landing at 7 am, and being exhausted and groggy all day. We were tired by the evening but ready to go the next morning and never really felt the jet-lag. If you haven't already, book a time for the Eiffel tower - the lines will be very long in August without an advance time frame. And if you are going to go to the Louvre, consider the city pass or see if you can get tickets ahead of time. It is insanely crowded in the summer and the lines for tickets can be 45 minutes long. It will also take about 45 minutes to see the Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo and the Winged Victory. If the kids have a major interest, go for it, otherwise, I'm not sure I'd want to attempt it with kids your ages lol. They will probably enjoy the pyramid outside and running around in that area! You can take some fun pictures of them standing on the white blocks "holding" the pyramid.

My mom and my oldest son are going to France in June. They are doing an Adventures By Disney trip, so I will let you know if they come across any really cool things to do with kids.

If your kids are confident bike riders, The Fat Tire Bike Company does some awesome tours - we've done them in Barcelona, Paris and London - lots of fun and they have kids' bikes.

What itinerary change did they make to your cruise?

Rome was fantastic!! We all had such a great time. We wound up hitting all the major sights and coming across some special events for the holidays as well - in addition to Easter, last Monday was their independence day. And Easter was very memorable - we were lucky and got great seats! Most of the 100,000+ were standing, so we were very grateful for that! And Connor snapped these great shots as the big guy himself went by :-) (you can get an idea of our location too - behind us was a sea of people)

Great advice on Paris!!!
We may skip the Louvre altogether this time, especially based on your estimates. I'm thinking Eiffel Tower, Jardin de Tuileries, and Notre Dame. We're only there about 2 1/2 days altogether!

AMAZING pics of the Pope in Rome. WOW!!!

Oh, I forgot to add, I am doing the mini 10k, so I will see you there! Are you doing Brooklyn? I am finishing up my 9+1 by June, so I'll be doing the mini-10k along with Brooklyn, the Queens 10k and the Pride run. Then no races until the fall - at least on the schedule! Where are you staying in Atlanta? We have a room on hold at Loews - seemed like a good price and location and it's refundable if the official hotels look better. Just need to book air for that one - after getting an amazing price for W&D, the Atlanta flights seem high right now so I am waiting and hoping they come down.

I can't run Brooklyn because I'll be in Orlando for a work conference. :thumbsup2 I won't get my 9+1 this year. It's too much for my family with all the weekend activities and Tom and I being on call.
I haven't booked anything for the JG 13.1 yet!!! I agree that the flights seem pricey. We were going to go as a family but if the prices don't come down a bit, I may have to go solo. Part of the selling point was that one of my husband's best friends is a single dad to 6 boys in Atlanta and Tom wanted to visit him but I can't justify paying those prices for a weekend trip. I might also run the Barbara 5K but I'm waiting for more information about packet pick-up before I decide.

Amanda

Our cruise will be on the newly re-designed Disney Magic. I'm actually really excited to sail on one of the "classic ships" after being on the Disney Dream. The Dream was beautiful but I suspect that I'll like the smaller ship better. Just a guess. We booked connect Category 9C Staterooms. Those have portholes and sleep 3-4 people. Officially Tom and Nate are in one room and Jessica, Zachary, and I are in the other. Unofficially I suspect we'll put Jessica and Nathaniel in one room and Zachary with us. This is because Zachary talks himself to sleep and it irritates the big kids. And he tends to get up at the buttcrack of dawn every morning. If we separate him from the other kids, I can take him somewhere (or we can close the connecting door) and let the big kids sleep.
As I mentioned we found out this week about a small itinerary change. Here's the itinerary as it stands today:

June 29th - Copenhagen, Denmark
June 30th, - Oslo, Norway
July 1st - Kristiansand, Norway
July 2nd - Stavanger, Norway
July 3rd - At Sea
July 4th - Akureyri, Iceland
July 5th - Reykjavik, Iceland
July 6th - Reykjavik, Iceland
July 7th - At Sea
July 8th - Kirkwall, Scotland (this was originally Torshaven, Faroe Islands)
July 9th - At Sea
July 10th - Dover, England

The big change was moving Torshaven (Thor's Haven - after the God from the Avengers....) in the Faroe Islands to Kirkwall, Scotland (Part of the Orkney Islands). There has been much speculation as to WHY this was changed. Theories range from the mercenary (Disney is promoting both the movie Brave and the movie Frozen by having destinations in both Norway and Scotland) to the bloody (the Faroe Islands allow whaling in the summer months and the shoreline may be red with whale blood). I don't really know. The more well-traveled amongst the cruise group (private Facebook group that came out of the Disboards group thread) are terribly disappointed as the Faroe Islands are far more exotic and remote destination compared to the Orkney Islands and supposedly the Faroe Islands are amazingly beautiful. In my geographic naiveté I had never heard of the Faroe Islands before we booked this cruise. That particular port has no impact on our decision to book the cruise (we were particularly interested in Norway and Iceland) and therefore I am not at all disappointed. Scotland is a potential future destination so I'm happy to have a sneak peek. When I read the experienced travelers comments on how difficult it is to get to the Faroe Islands, I do appreciate that we are likely missing out on a "once in a lifetime opportunity" but since I didn't know that I should want to go there anyway, I don't really feel shafted.
We are super excited for the cruise but haven't begun to make travel plans beyond the initial booking of the cruise itself. Our particular stateroom category sold out soon after our booking (within hours) so we feel quite fortunate.

Amanda

The cruise sounds amazing Amanda (though I'm stick too chicken to consider going on one :rotfl2:).
Just got an email today talking about a new attraction at DLP called Ratatouille Adventure which sounds fun :)
Haven't been to Paris in years (we stayed at Newport Bay Resort which reminds me of BC/YC) but my kids loved the boat trip down the Seine and the guides spoke English so it was very informative too :thumbsup2
Do Not do as we did and sit on grassy bit at Eiffle Tower eating ice-lollies as we got told off by policeman -he was speaking french so I have no idea what he said or what we did wrong but we moved! Very Quickly!!:lmao: To the edge of the grass!!!;) He seemed happy with that :thumbsup2

I won't get my 9+1 this year. It's too much for my family with all the weekend activities and Tom and I being on call. I haven't booked anything for the JG 13.1 yet!!! I agree that the flights seem pricey. We were going to go as a family but if the prices don't come down a bit, I may have to go solo. Part of the selling point was that one of my husband's best friends is a single dad to 6 boys in Atlanta and Tom wanted to visit him but I can't justify paying those prices for a weekend trip. I might also run the Barbara 5K but I'm waiting for more information about packet pick-up before I decide. Amanda

I hear you on the 9+1 time commitment. I only have a desire to run two marathons - NYC and Disney. So the plan is to devote the time to qualifying this year and then running NYC in 2015 and Dopey in 2016 and only have to go through the training once. Then it's back to halfs in all 50 states.

I'm running the Barb as well. I'll be there Thursday and Friday. If they allow bib p/u for others I can get yours for you.

You will love the Magic! I've been on the Magic, Wonder and Dream. The Dream is too big IMO. Not so much the size , but the # of people. The pool area feels to be close in size on both ships and there is just not enough room for everyone on the Dream. I hope they don't change Animator's Palette in the refurb. My kids did not like the one on the Dream and want to go back to the original lol. No real reason other than being creatures of Disney habit and were looking forward to their old favorite :)

As for the Faroe Islands, I don't know much, but my mom had to skip then on her last cruise, which apparently is very common. I think Scotland sounds great and the odds of making the stop are in your favor.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Caught up and read about your plans.

I want to say once again how impressed I am with your dedication and running success.

:worship:

Sounds like you have some challenging, but fun runs coming up- I have to say if I were ever to take up running, Disney is where I would want to do it.

Your trip to France sounds wonderful! I love that your itinerary includes time in Paris, at Disneyland and then in the French countryside. That will be such an incredible experience for your family.

I know nothing about vacationing in France and even less about Scandinavia, so I look forward to reading about your plans and your subsequent trip.

:boat:

I hear you on the 9+1 time commitment. I only have a desire to run two marathons - NYC and Disney. So the plan is to devote the time to qualifying this year and then running NYC in 2015 and Dopey in 2016 and only have to go through the training once. Then it's back to halfs in all 50 states.

I'm running the Barb as well. I'll be there Thursday and Friday. If they allow bib p/u for others I can get yours for you.

You will love the Magic! I've been on the Magic, Wonder and Dream. The Dream is too big IMO. Not so much the size , but the # of people. The pool area feels to be close in size on both ships and there is just not enough room for everyone on the Dream. I hope they don't change Animator's Palette in the refurb. My kids did not like the one on the Dream and want to go back to the original lol. No real reason other than being creatures of Disney habit and were looking forward to their old favorite :)

As for the Faroe Islands, I don't know much, but my mom had to skip then on her last cruise, which apparently is very common. I think Scotland sounds great and the odds of making the stop are in your favor.

Thank you for the bib pick-up offer! I'm hoping they allow Saturday morning pick-up. I'm doing ecoaching so I could just ask Jeff directly but I'd rather have my questions focus on MY running, if you know what I mean.
Your kids are older than mine so I think that makes the 9+1 easier. The other issue is just being on call every 3rd weekend. I have run races while on call but I don't really like it.
That's interesting about the Faroe Islands being an iffy port. I did not know that. As I said I've done VERY little research into our ports of call. I'm hoping to use this PTR as motivation to do the research.

okay I have to catch up but am happy to see you have a new Trip Report.

WELCOME! How's life with 3???

Caught up and read about your plans.

I want to say once again how impressed I am with your dedication and running success.

:worship:

Sounds like you have some challenging, but fun runs coming up- I have to say if I were ever to take up running, Disney is where I would want to do it.

Your trip to France sounds wonderful! I love that your itinerary includes time in Paris, at Disneyland and then in the French countryside. That will be such an incredible experience for your family.

I know nothing about vacationing in France and even less about Scandinavia, so I look forward to reading about your plans and your subsequent trip.

:boat:

Thank you for your kind words about my running. While I'm definitely not at the point where I see 13 miles on my schedule and think, "Yay! I get to run 13 miles today!!!" I do feel good about it. I'm much slower than I want to be and that can be frustrating for me. I know it'll sound snotty but I'm used to be a high achiever (duh, I'm a surgeon) so I hate that I'm not very good at running. I know I can finish races but I'm never going to be fast. It's humbling and that's probably good for me.
I'm excited about France. And a little worried. I took a lot of years of French class but my French isn't very good (I speak Spanish at work every day so I get confused between the 2 languages). I really want to have a general itinerary in place for the Paris portion of the trip so that I don't feel stressed while we're there. I also want to avoid over-scheduling Paris. I've been to Paris a few times and I LOVE Paris but I know my kids won't really appreciate the things that I love because of their ages. So I need to make it about introducing my kids to Paris from a kid perspective and not get stressed out that their futures are ruined because they didn't wait in line for 1 hour to glance at the Mona Lisa. They won't enjoy that or remember it fondly.

Amanda

So in all of my excitement to write about our various trips involving Disney, I forgot to mention the one coming up. The American Urological Association is having its annual meeting in Orlando in May. Tom and I are both going - I arrive on Thursday, May 15th and he will join me on Saturday, May 17th. While the primary purpose of the trip is obviously to attend the conference, there will be a little Disney thrown in the mix.

Thursday, May 15th is one of the last days of the Flower & Garden Festival. I should be arriving in Orlando around 1:30pm that day. I will be renting a car and my original plan was to spend the afternoon/evening at Epcot. The irrational part of me wants to try to race to the Magic Kingdom to catch the new 3pm parade but I think the timing will be tough. I will be solo for my Epcot excursion but I'm thinking about bringing the DSLR camera and trying to learn how to use it... I've made a few FP+ reservations but I don't even know if I'll bother to go on rides. I guess I could think about staying for Illuminations! that night but we'll see how tired I am. We're staying at the Hyatt Regency in Orlando (connected to the Convention Center) so it's not super close. My meeting on Friday starts at like 7:30am....

Saturday night Tom was thinking about having us attend one of many "sponsored" dinners. I'm not a huge fan. You get a free meal at a nice restaurant but it's always a large group of mostly strangers. I convinced him that we should have a nice date night dinner. After some discussion he selected Bluezoo (I tried California Grill for the view of the fireworks but no luck). I would have chosen Artist's Point or Flying Fish but I like Bluezoo a lot, too.

Sunday night is the official welcoming party of the meeting. Which is being held at Islands of Adventure. We bought tickets to the party and I'm looking forward to finally riding all of the Harry Potter rides. Finally!!!

Monday morning I might be able to pop over to Magic Kingdom. Unfortunately Tom's AP is expired and it really doesn't make sense to renew it before our November trip. If he's free Monday morning, I'll probably just hang out at the pool with him. I have a meeting on Monday afternoon so I won't get to see the parade that day either.

Amanda

Joining the fun. I must say thank you to you...I am glad someone likes urology. I have been nursing a long time and did a internship more than 26 years ago on a medical/surg unit that was mostly urology patients at a VA. Loved it but finished school and found a new love my last semester and have done it 25 years. The unit I work on is Labor and Delivery and several of our docs including the department chair are both docs. I love being a nurse even with required on call on our unit because my hours are relatively contained to 36-50 hours a week depending on how much call I have in a week. I think I have a lot but sounds like you and your husband make it work!!

I also noticed that we will be in WDW in January a few of the same days. I am going Jan 1-9. Probably off sit until Jan 3. I turn 50 on Jan 4 and stated to a friend that I loved the year I went to Disney and goofed off with Goofy and they told me I should try that for my 50th. Cant wait.

You have a lot of trips planned. Cant wait to hear about them. Maybe you will do a mini report whe you go to your conference in May. I wish I had seen it earlier than 3 weeks ago as the AWHON mtg is at WDW in June. Will be at Myrtle Beach 3 weeks before so I guess I'll be at home and working.

You should check out DizNeets trips reports. She lives in Europe and frequently goes to DLP. REad what she has going and ask questions. She has in her latest Ptr a mini report from a Jan trip to DL Paris. I am sure if you have questions and PM her she will answer them.

Cant wait to hear more and hope as the kids get out of school for the year that life will slow down for your family a bit as there wont be homework for several weeks.

Have fun in the planning.

Joining the fun. I must say thank you to you...I am glad someone likes urology. I have been nursing a long time and did a internship more than 26 years ago on a medical/surg unit that was mostly urology patients at a VA. Loved it but finished school and found a new love my last semester and have done it 25 years. The unit I work on is Labor and Delivery and several of our docs including the department chair are both docs. I love being a nurse even with required on call on our unit because my hours are relatively contained to 36-50 hours a week depending on how much call I have in a week. I think I have a lot but sounds like you and your husband make it work!!

I also noticed that we will be in WDW in January a few of the same days. I am going Jan 1-9. Probably off sit until Jan 3. I turn 50 on Jan 4 and stated to a friend that I loved the year I went to Disney and goofed off with Goofy and they told me I should try that for my 50th. Cant wait.

You have a lot of trips planned. Cant wait to hear about them. Maybe you will do a mini report whe you go to your conference in May. I wish I had seen it earlier than 3 weeks ago as the AWHON mtg is at WDW in June. Will be at Myrtle Beach 3 weeks before so I guess I'll be at home and working.

You should check out DizNeets trips reports. She lives in Europe and frequently goes to DLP. REad what she has going and ask questions. She has in her latest Ptr a mini report from a Jan trip to DL Paris. I am sure if you have questions and PM her she will answer them.

Cant wait to hear more and hope as the kids get out of school for the year that life will slow down for your family a bit as there wont be homework for several weeks.

Have fun in the planning.

Welcome!!! L&D is certainly busier than what we do! I mean we have emergencies and all but nothing like the pace you have.

What better way to spend a 50th birthday! That'll be fun!!!!

Thank you for the fabulous advice about DL Paris. I will immediately seek out DizNeets and get help!!!

Amanda

I have lots of paperwork to do today so what better way to distract myself than to plan Disney stuff. Today's question is purely hypothetical:

Background:
We have 160 points at Villas at Grand Floridian. Clearly this isn't enough for a Disney-addicted family of 5. We purchased this amount as a "starter" contract because it would cover 1 week in late August in a Studio at VGF and a family of 5 can stay in a studio at VGF. Our family doesn't do well in one room so it's unlikely that we would really enjoy that. We will need enough points for at least a one bedroom and maybe even a 2 bedroom.

We aren't ready to buy more points yet but....

Question:

Where should we buy more points?

Choices:
1. More VGF points. That way we can take advantage of the 11 month booking window and maybe even get a grand villa in the future (I'd love Christmas with extended family in a grand villa, for example).

2. Polynesian points when they become available. I LOVE Poly but don't love what I'm hearing about DVC at Poly. It sounds like the longhouses being converted to DVC will only have studios and the bungalows will have the larger villas and be very, very pricey.

3. BLT points. We all really like BLT. My kids loved staying there and often talk about it as one of their favorites stays. but it's another monorail resort.

4. Epcot-area resort. We love both Beach Club and Boardwalk a lot. And love walking to Epcot. Points at one of the two for Food & Wine Festival?

5. AKV. We also love Kidani. I love how relaxing it is and how you could spend a weekend there without ever going to the park. There are great restaurants on site and I love Victoria Falls (the bar/lounge at Jambo). I love the pool at Kidani with the pool bar. Who doesn't love a savanna view room?

Not that we're buying anytime soon but what do you think?

Amanda

Love the Epcot area resorts so my vote would definitely be for bcv as first choice because I love SAB followed by boardwalk villas add 2nd choice (even with the scary clown lol) :)

If you are eventually aiming to have enough points to book more than a studio at more than one resort, I would go with an Epcot resort area DVC (BC being my favorite). It makes sense as you guys do so many Disney races and it will be nice to "walk home" after.

But practically, go with VGF because realistically you need to be able to book at 11 months our for the busy weeks. DVC members are scrambling for W&D this year as Friday night is sold out in most places.

Unless of course you own a smaller amount at two and borrow....I'm not DVC so I don't know how far that would take you.

Love the Epcot area resorts so my vote would definitely be for bcv as first choice because I love SAB followed by boardwalk villas add 2nd choice (even with the scary clown lol) :)

I love Beach Club but it's a very small DVC resort which means very limited availability. Boardwalk has grand villas and I believe it's bigger so there tends to be a little more availability.

If you are eventually aiming to have enough points to book more than a studio at more than one resort, I would go with an Epcot resort area DVC (BC being my favorite). It makes sense as you guys do so many Disney races and it will be nice to "walk home" after.

But practically, go with VGF because realistically you need to be able to book at 11 months our for the busy weeks. DVC members are scrambling for W&D this year as Friday night is sold out in most places.

Unless of course you own a smaller amount at two and borrow....I'm not DVC so I don't know how far that would take you.

You make good points.
Even if we bank and borrow 3 years worth of points, we don't really have enough for one week in a grand villa, even at a slower time of year. During Christmas? We could have enough for 2 nights in a Grand Villa. With 3 years worth of points. Obviously, if we ever want a grand villa during the holidays, we would need to buy a lot of points at that resort (because the holidays would require the booking window). But maybe that's not the goal. Maybe we just need another 160 points at another resort and we can bank/borrow and spend every other year at Grand Floridian vs. Epcot resort. Hmmm..... :thumbsup2

Amanda

Our 180 day window for booking dining reservations for our November trip is rapidly approaching. And I still don't have a plan.

Zachary and I are taking an early flight on Friday morning. We will rent a car and drive straight to the Race Expo (with a possible detour at Publix to buy some bottled water, juice boxes, etc.). We will pick up race packets for the family (this is the last time we'll be able to do that because runDisney is now requiring everyone to pick up his or her own race packet in the future) and then check-in to the Boardwalk. We're staying Club Level so we probably won't buy a lot of snacks since we'll have access to the lounge (I often fill ziplock bags with cereal for the kids to have as snacks although Tom and I prefer something with a little more protein like beef jerky or kind bars). From there I guess we'll do whatever Zachary wants! I'm going to let him pick a restaurant. I'd prefer something within walking distance to the Boardwalk but we'll have a car so I can be flexible.
Tom and the other kids will arrive later that evening (after dinner). I don't know if they'll need something to eat or not. Also not sure if they're doing DME or taking a cab (I don't love them enough to drive back to the airport! :rotfl2: ).
Saturday morning is the 5K. I'm not sure if we can drive to AK for the race but I'm hoping that's ok. Maybe we can schedule breakfast at Tusker House afterwards? Or pop over to AKL for breakfast? Maybe we can just stay at AK and go on a few rides while we're over there. Must look into this a little more. We need a quiet afternoon so spending the morning at AK would be perfect.
Saturday night I need to be on a bus to the start of the race by about 8pm (I think). I won't really want dinner but I'm sure my family will. I need to ask them what they want to do. Tom will stay with the kids until about 9pm and then I've already requested a babysitter from KNO. The "after party" ticket is good from 7pm but I won't finish the race until after midnight (unless I get really, really speedy between now and then! :lmao: ) so Tom is thinking that he'll head over around 9:30pm or so. I should have some friends who have spouses at the finish that can hang out with him. I need to start thinking about that....
Sunday I want to sleep late but I'm sure the kids will have other ideas. I'd like to spend some time at Epcot since it's the end of the Food & Wine Festival. Sunday night the kids are dying to go to MVMCP even though they went last year. They had such a fun time. So we'll probably just grab quick service at MK (Cosmic Ray's or Peco's Bills or something). I hope we get to go on a lot of rides that night since it'll likely be our first trip to MK on the trip. I think I'll try to get everyone to head over in the late afternoon to maximize our time there.
Monday would then be a good DHS day. And dinner likely at Flying Fish or Bluezoo. (I think the kids want Flying Fish for the Mickey puzzles for dessert although Bluezoo has lovely desserts, too.)
Tuesday we leave in the early afternoon so likely just a few hours at Epcot before heading home.
I should have our TA add my birthday to the reservation. It's 2 weeks afterwards but that's still a birthday celebration at Disney, right???

Amanda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter