• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Different kind of Trip Report -- My DD's wedding (More Pix added Post #152)

Mac..
Our daughter was married in September at Epcot's Japanese Gardens with a CF reception and Illumunations Dessert party on French Isle. She chose "Remember the Magic" for her Father/Daughter dance and I have started humming it with tears in my eyes reading your account of your Daughter's Disney Wedding, Her picture is beautiful!!

So enjoying your trip report-- your daughter was a beautiful bride.

This post is VERY LONG --- Once you read it, you will know why.

We just finished the 1200 mile drive home today, arriving in CT about 3PM. We have done the drive about 10 times now, so it’s sorta routine. One overnight on the way down, one on the way back. We were nervously watching the weather reports the last few days as it seemed like there may be a Nor'Easter in New England this weekend. Luckily, it was all hype -- no show, just cold.

Now, back to the TR:

Friday - December 17th - Day 7

Today was the dreaded "split-stay-moving-day", as we were moving from BLT to POR. Just don't have enough points for those Friday nights. When I grow up, I want enough points to never have to do a weekend move again!!!
As you may recall, the reception was at the Napa Room at the Contemporary, and since we had a 1 BDR (full size fridge), we had taken my daughters bridal bouquet, the top tier of the cake, and the castle white-chocolate cake top with us and put them in the fridge until we moved on Friday (see post #38 for the cakes pieces I describe).

We had reserved Boma for breakfast this morning for me my DW, DS, the bride and the groom @9:00AM. Didn’t want to go too early since we were at the MVMCP on Thursday night, but didn’t want to go too late either since we had to load up the car and check-out by 11:00AM. The day started normally and we loaded a few things in the car before we went to the GF to pick up the bride and groom – then to Boma. We left a few bags in the room and the special stuff in the fridge. I knew there was a problem when we were walking back to our room at BLT at about 10:40 or so and I saw two boxes in the hallway that should have been in our room – the boxes that the flowers had come in that we were going to use to pack up the wedding items. Also in the hallway was the bag cover for my daughter’s dress, which she was picking up to bring back to the GF with her. I began to panic and ran into the room, threw open the fridge, and ------------- it was cleaned out ----------- no bouquet, no cake top, no top tier --------------- plus my wife’s cell phone and charger which were charging on the counter were gone. It seems that the mousekeeping staff had decided that 11:00 doesn’t always mean 11:00 and they cleaned the room.

I searched for someone in the hallway and found another person (not our mousekeeper) and explained the situation. She certainly did not display any sense of urgency or concern, but rather said that they had cleaned the room and told me to call downstairs. My wife was doing that as I went downstairs to the lobby and the groom continued to search the hallways for a signs of life. After about 15 minutes or so, three more people came to the room and we explained the entire situation again. We had left the room about 8:10, came back about 10:40AM How someone could think that we would leave those items behind, along with the cell phone, dress bag, boxes and a few other things was (and still is) beyond me. The three people went away, saying they would look for the mousekeeper and check to see if they could find the items.

By this time my daughter is calling her wedding planner – who was fabulous. She said she would come over to BLT – which she did (a lot faster than any of the mousekeeping staff seemed to move). After another 15-20 minutes, there was a knock on the door and two different people show up, holding a bouquet and two damaged boxes. Apparently, the items had been thrown in the garbage. When I asked about the cell phone and the other two smaller boxes that were in the fridge, you would have thought I was asking to have the sun rise in the west. We “chatted” and they went away. After another 15-20 minutes with no more sign of help, I called down to mousekeeping again – relayed the story again --- and was told that they would get the Mousekeeping manager and that he would come up to the room. By now it is after 12. He finally called – did not come to the room --- and I explained the entire situation yet again. In the time between my call and his call, we noticed that the two rhinestone cuffs that were on the base of the bouquet were missing. Now, these cuffs could not just “fall off”. They were very well attached. I mentioned this to the Manager and he said they would check on the phone and the cuffs.

Finally, he called back – still did not come to the room -- and he said that the phone and charger were at Lost & Found and that one of his staff would bring them up to me. No sign of the cuffs. The wedding planner was also going to follow-up with the whole situation from her end. Another knock on the door, yet a different staff member – with the phone and charger – no cuffs – and she knew nothing about them.

Not only were we appalled that they would dispose of these items ---- before check-out time--- but I was also extremely disappointed in the reaction of the entire staff. I did not sense that they understood how important this was and what had occurred. I never got the sense that anyone was taking charge and would figure this out. Even when they brought the items up, they seemed “ok” that they had found it. A few “I’m sorry’s”, but nothing more. I think it was especially telling that the manager never came to the room. I suppose I could have forced him to come up, but I don’t know what that would have accomplished.

Now, the wedding planner has arranged to have a new set of cuffs sent to my daughter (small consolation – she wants the ones from her wedding day), to have the top tier remade for them when they go back to WDW in June, and to have a new castle top also. Problem is, Disney will not ship them to her here do to “health and liability issues’.

We are all still seething a bit, and I will be writing a formal letter to guest satisfaction this week.

On a brighter note, I will have more pix soon. I did not personally take very many, so I have to retrieve them from others. I promise ------

mac_tlc

popcorn::

Just told DH about the last post and he is livid for you. That is completely unacceptable. Keep in mind that they should be able to track who was in your room. I'd say the person heard you all were looking for a phone and it "magically" (pun intended) appeared in L & F.

At SSR in August, the Mousekeeper started to knock about 10/10:15. I was finishing a shower after swimming, DD and DH weren't back yet. I told her we weren't leaving until 11. Curious what she would have done had I not answered. It was clear we had not checked out. I thought hotels had a system of letting their people know when rooms have been checked out.

Not that it will replace anything ruined, please do not stop until you have received acceptable answers. Keep climbing the ladder. Especially after the money you dropped there. Good luck!

YIKES! So sorry about your experience on the last day at BLT. So un-Disney like. Hope you are able to get a bit of satisfaction after your letter. Fawning apologies from management would have been well received at the time I'm sure!

TK

You must not have pitched a big enough fit if they were so lackadaisical about everything. I'd be insisting on a manager! I think it was smart to get the wedding planner involved too though. Certainly, they could tell no one would just leave those things in a room after checking out!!!

Just to be clear...you never did get the cake top and chocolate castle??? I'm hoping the wedding planner can see fit to get those replaced.

I knew before you even started what was going to happen.

There is no excuse at all for this, none at all, but I know what they do, they call your room to see if you answer on the day of your check out. This is a DVC thing and it drives me batty. If you answer the phone they hang up on you.

Just another poor management situation.:sad2: Most of housekeeping is outsourced now.

Everyone for the future, put the DO NOT DISTURB sign out. It will help. If you come back and they have been in the room and you left the DO NOT DISTURB out, they can be fired.

to the OP, please, please contact Member Services and let them know.

This is my biggest complaint about the mixed resorts, you do not get the service you should get as a DVC member from the staff.

I can guarantee if you had been at the Contemporary as a cash guest their response would have been different.

Honestly, you were much calmer than I would be, I am like I just can't imagine they thought you left your things in the room and it not even 11 yet.

You gotta bless your heart as you seem to have such a postive outlook. I'm sorry about the check-out messy but I'd definitely be calling someone at Disney tomorrow. I'd skip the letter and call DVC and speak to as many people as possible until you get a satisfactory resolution for you. Then, I would follow up with a letter.

What a terrible ending to an otherwise magical fairytale. I am so sorry this was the memory you had to drive home with. Try to focus on the rest instead and let the other go. :hug:

Some have advised you to contact MS, but instead you should contact the Member Satisfaction team. I believe there is a way to do that directly, but if not, I KNOW you can email them.

Some have advised you to contact MS, but instead you should contact the Member Satisfaction team. I believe there is a way to do that directly, but if not, I KNOW you can email them.

That was my plan.I know the e-mail is floating around somewhere. Its tough to find time during the day to call, since I'm back at work.

To clarify your question, Diane, when they returned the boxes, the top cake tier and the white-chocolate castle top were in them. Other than having been in the garbage for a couple of hours, and maybe a little blemish on the cake top -- they were intact. And we did bring them home.

The casualties of the event were two other boxes with cake pieces in them, the rhinestone cuffs, two boutineers (sp ?) (mine, my son's).

Interestingly, we were moving to POR on Friday, so we packed them up, went over to POR Bell Services and I said:

"BLT housekeeping through these in the garbage, I would appreciate if you would not do the same. Please put them in the refrigerator and I will pick them up early Sat morning when we leave."

Worked like a charm -- they handled them gently, put fragile stickers on them, and kept them until we started the journey home at 6AM Saturday.

The wedding planner said they will have a new castle top and top cake tier ready for my daughter and her husband ---- gotta get used to typing that---- when they arrive at AKV in June for a 5 day stay. Unfortunately they will not ship them home -- we will investigate that ourselves.

mac_tlc

The wedding planner said they will have a new castle top and top cake tier ready for my daughter and her husband ---- gotta get used to typing that
I thought they might do something like that. That is, after all, the Disney way!:thumbsup2 I would arrange to have them frozen and shipped home that way. I know Fed Ex does frozen boxes, and I think UPS does as well. You will need a styro cooler box to ship them in.

Good advise to leave the 'do not disturb' sign out.

On a happy note - I hope you are able to share more pictures of your DD and her new hubby soon. I'm so excited that Mickey and Minnie were there (I would SO fork out for that for my sons' wedding!) What a picture op!

I'm so glad these glitches were after the wedding. If any were to happen so much better to be then.

TK

Good advise to leave the 'do not disturb' sign out.

On a happy note - I hope you are able to share more pictures of your DD and her new hubby soon. I'm so excited that Mickey and Minnie were there (I would SO fork out for that for my sons' wedding!) What a picture op!

I'm so glad these glitches were after the wedding. If any were to happen so much better to be then.

TK

I will absolutely share many, many more pix, especially Mickey and Minnie. When they entered the room, it was like the President arrived. Lots of flashes going off!!! The best part was that they were in their holiday attire. I did not take many myself, so the next few days I will be confiscating other's pix.

mac_tlc

OH NO!!! :eek:

I think you all are behaving soo calmly about the whole thing. I'm glad your DD thought about calling her planner and that she was able to help.

I honestly don't know how I would react if that happened to us. I probably would have reacted a lot strongly than you did (and probably would've been called an post bridezilla). But seriously, how could they possibly think a family would leave those stuff?
I don't get it... :headache:
Even if they think the guests are leaving those stuff, shouldn't they have waited until 11am to confirm?

If I were you I would write to BLT resort management (hoping someone other than the manager on duty the night of your stay reads it), DVC Member Satisfaction, and also cc your guide. Your guide may not be able to do anything but by george he/she should know since they're selling this product.

Please please let us know if anybody ever reply back and try to make good.
What a mess.

Well, on a good note at least everything happened AFTER the big day. And all the great memories have been made. And this is another story to tell future generations ... :thumbsup2

I am horrified by what happened with Mousekeeping! How awful! I will definitely take the tip to put out the "Do Not Disturb" sign.

I wanted to address the castle topper shipping...

My husband and I actually were fortunate enough to have TWO Disney Fairy Tale Weddings (spoiled, I know). We did an Escape quickie before he left for Iraq and then had the big family/friends shebang on his R&R in Jan '09.

We had a castle cake topper for our "big" wedding. If I remember, DFTW purchases the chocolate castle toppers from Impressions...which is the stationary company that has the contract to produce Disney licensed stationary, invitations, napkins, etc. We worked with Shelley LaMarre from Impressions for most of our "paper" stuff. But, a few of the things (castle topper and seating chart) were purchased through Disney, but produced by Shelley's company.

I'm certain that you can purchase a castle directly from Impressions to have it shipped. In fact, here's a quote from the website...

"Our smaller version weighs about 3 lbs and can also be shipped anywhere FedEx can deliver via Priority Overnight service."

Go to www.fairytalewedding.com, click on "Products" and in the lower right, you'll see a box called "White Chocolate Castles." If you click on that, it takes you to more descriptions, and an opportunity to "See more styles" which leads to an order form. The cost is $125 + a $45 packing fee + FedEx overnight shipping costs. So, it sounds to me that Disney doesn't want to pay the shipping, so they're telling you it can't be done.

Let them know that you've discovered their line of bull and tell them you want one shipped PRONTO!

I am a bit stunned sometimes at Disney's unwillingness to make their mistakes right again...because most of the time I see the opposite. Sometime the GUEST is in the wrong, and Disney will act like it's Disney's fault in order to keep the guests happy. So, it's really frustrating when they screwed up and won't fix it. Particularly when you spent more for your Disney experience (than the average guest) in the form of an all-out wedding!

Sorry...off my soapbox now ;)

Good luck!!!

tiggerrifficheidi, thank you so much for the insight. I have forwarded your info to my daughter -- she will follow up with the wedding planner.

To all who have expressed support -- thank you !! I may not have been as calm on Friday as I seem writing this, but at many times throughout the ordeal, I didn't see where getting louder and more upset would help.

I'll let everyone know what transpires.

mac_tlc

boy hoping you were coming back with more pictures and happy moments.

so sorry you went through this.

definitely write - do snail mail as well email.

Disney really needs to stop this out sourcing. It does not help guests and you can see the problems it is creating.

they is scarey though - they actually removed your stuff - BEFORE 11 am.

did you ask them what time they though check out was?

Wow. I really don't know how I would have reacted but I know my blood pressure was rising just reading about your ordeal. So sorry you had to leave with this hanging over your trip home. Definitely write Member Satisfaction and anyone else you think should know about this.

Looking forward to seeing more photos and hearing any followups you might receive.

I would be livid. Definitely use the do not disturb sign. We use it any time we leave our room, no matter what time of day.

Your dd is so lucky to have such wonderful parents. Don't let this one incident ruin the wonderful memories of this wedding.
And I'm with everyone else. MORE PICTURES PLEASE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter