A different kind of health care crisis - physician burnout

I'm not trying to pin this on whiny health care workers. Believe me, I will readily admit software can be inefficient also. But as @Southernmiss points out, doctors (users) need to work with the software developers to make appropriate changes. No, I'm sure a given doctor can't call up the software developers, but surely there's a supervisor/contact at their hospital that can forward on suggestions. And, IMO, the "suggestions" need to be more than "this takes too long" or "this sucks". It needs to be "It would be better if I could do 'x' because a, b, c."
I am that person in my hospital. The person who is the bridge between clinical and technical.

And when I make the suggestion that something can be done better I am
Told “the system can’t do that”. Then I say “we’ll the other big system that is your direct competitor can do it so why can’t you?” . Then it’s another 6-12 months of haggling, involving Senior Management etc for me to get done what I wanted to get done.

And when I make the suggestion that something can be done better I am
Told “the system can’t do that”. Then I say “we’ll the other big system that is your direct competitor can do it so why can’t you?” . Then it’s another 6-12 months of haggling, involving Senior Management etc for me to get done what I wanted to get done.
If another system fits your needs better, then IMO, the responsible thing to do is tell Senior Management you need to switch. However, I'd bet the other system also has issues. No system is going to be perfect for everyone. So you (general) need to live with the shortcomings of whatever system you have or do what you can (which probably isn't much) to change it. But that's the situation across most careers. And you're right, most careers don't result in life and death issues, but that doesn't change the fact that many people work with (to them) inefficient software/systems.

If another system fits your needs better, then IMO, the responsible thing to do is tell Senior Management you need to switch. However, I'd bet the other system also has issues. No system is going to be perfect for everyone. So you (general) need to live with the shortcomings of whatever system you have or do what you can (which probably isn't much) to change it. But that's the situation across most careers. And you're right, most careers don't result in life and death issues, but that doesn't change the fact that many people work with (to them) inefficient software/systems.

Do you have any idea the cost involved in switching these programs? It isn't the same as loading the newest adobe to your home pc.

We went thru this with computer drafting in the 90s. One system will eventually win out. Delaying is not going to make it an easier. It is my understanding some of the bigs in silicon valley are working together to improve medical, you still have a long way to go. End result, can anyone imagine the days when to buy stock you had to call your broker

Do you have any idea the cost involved in switching these programs? It isn't the same as loading the newest adobe to your home pc.
Really? I thought it would be $50. :scratchin

I never said it should be taken lightly. I DID say other programs probably have other issues that would be a negative.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter