A Diamond In The Rough

mystic_path

DIS Veteran
Hi I'm Naomi,

I am 29 years old, I am 5`0 in height and have been struggling with weight issues since I can remember. For my frame I should be at about 110 lbs as per my Dr. In high school I sat at about 140lbs, after high school I started going to the gym and doing the daily "Caribbean Workout" on TV and I got down to about 125lbs. I then went though a rough patch with my family and depression hit me hard. I then ballooned back up to about 160lbs and have been sitting between 140-160 since. I am missing the days of being 125lbs. I knew when at 125lbs I still had quite a bit of fat on my body. I was just starting to see that nice gap in between the legs and I was sitting at a size 6, not a size 12 or 14. When I went to the Caribbean a three years ago I was about 145lbs and it took every ounce of determination and over coming humiliation of my body due to being very self conscious to wear a bathing suit. Actually a two piece.

In January of this year (2012) I started a job at a bakery, and not just any bakery but the best one within miles. We have people driving over an hour just to come and get treats. The best but worst part is... on certain days I am in charge of the whipped cream station, and I also like to sample everything in the bakery so I can give first hand examples and opinions of the products. However doing this I gained weight. I hit about 165 lbs. I went from a size 10 into a size 12. I was bulging out of my fat pants.

My body started acting funny doing things it normally didnt do. I wasnt sleeping well, I was wheezing as I sat still at a computer. I was always feeling sluggish with no motivation etc. I knew it was time to do something, and especially because I have a trip to Disneyland in August, a trip to Vegas in November, and then a beach vacation in Croatia in May of next year. I didnt want to be a size 11/12 for even the first vacation to Cali. My goal was to be in a size 8 or a 10.

Recently my mom who is also over weight by about 30lbs or so was told by her dr. she needs to lose weight. He is also my Dr. too and he recommended a diet to both of us. He told us to do it together and be each other's cheering squad. So off we went.

Last month on June 7th 2012 we began our low fat diet. Basically you can only eat anything under 2grams of fat. You eat lots of lean chicken, rice, veggies, fruit etc. While trying to stay away from most bread and pasta. and potatoes. We can still have them, but like once or twice a week in moderation. You still eat all your recommended daily calories, and eat all the good nutrients and fats instead of the bad ones. My mom and I also went to the grocery store and walked around to find snacks that were low in fat, sugar, and sodium keeping the snack under 2g of fat. We found that Thinsations were amazing, Fiber One brownie bars, graham crackers, Skinny cow ice cream bars (Not their boxed stuff like granola bars. That stuff is terrible for you), chocolate or caramel rice cakes, fat free/sugar free pudding (Cheese cake flavor with chocolate and a cut up banana tastes like a banana split :bitelip: SOOO GOOD). These are just a few items we have found, but when you start reading lables you realize what you thought may have been good for you really isnt, and just cause it says low fat really doesnt mean its not high in sugar or sodium. But you find other things that are amazing to snack on.

Mom and I now try and go for a walk together several times a week, and I realized on You Tube they have an wide selection of full work out videos that are fun. My favorites are by the "Real Hollywood Trainer". She's fantastic.

Let me tell ya... This diet seems to be working for me. I am eating my three meals a day, when I need a snack I grab one of my Thinsations or Fiber One bars, and I drink lots of water. In the last month I have lost well over 10Lbs which was the bakery weight, and I am back into a size 10 which is what I was in when I started at the bakery. :cool1: But there are new things happening to my body I didnt feel like before at this weight. I feel healthy, I feel weightless, my confidence is up there again, and I am no longer bulging out of my fat pants. I actually threw them out. Last night I put on a pair of size 8 pants, and took a photo of myself in them. I can put them on, but I cant get the button done up. But I am well on my way. This is just a month. 10LBS I cant believe it. I am not leaving on vacation for another 6 weeks, I can only imagine what I am going to have accomplished in that time. I am sooooo excited. From here on out I am just gonna be laughing having fun with the weight loss. I am finding that this is an easy diet too. Its so nice to have my mom to do this with, but I could easily do this without her too. As for my mother... She was in a size 14 and is now in a size 12! :goodvibes WOO HOO GO MOM

I guess why I decided to share my story on Dis or WISH is so that others who are in the same boat realize they are not alone and that the possibilities of changing your life are there. But if you had questions for me on what you may be able to do, well I will be happy to try and answer. I think this WISH is a great idea for everyone to keep themselves motivated and inspired. Maybe even inspire someone else.

I am hoping to track more of my progress here in the coming days and weeks.... Comments are welcomed.

I did something yesterday for the first time in a very very long time. I'm talking like 10 years.... I walked passed a full length mirror and smiled. :) I have only lost like 10lbs but just seeing that change made me the happiest person in the world. It gave me motivation to keep going. I even attempted a run in the evening when it cooled off a bit. I actually felt like I had a lot more energy. I still have quite a ways to go, but one step at a time right?

One thing that is keeping me highly motivated are websites like Pinterest, Polyvore, & We heart it. To find pictures of fashion, or photos of inspiration really helps me to set goals and achieve them.

It is great to hear that you are feeling happier!:cool1: isn't that feeling of more energy awesome?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter