A delayed (due to that other #@$&* "C" word) pre-trip report!

MaleficentMe

Mouseketeer
This trip was originally supposed to happen in late October 2022. However, that was smack-dab in the middle of my chemotherapy treatments, so dammit, no Disneyland for me in 2022. 😖

It is also a (maybe) remake of our wonderful "gonzo" trip that we made in 2019.

("Gonzo" in this context means a quick (~15 hrs each way) car trip to DLR focused on only the parks, done as cheaply and efficiently as possible.)

A little background:

I have been going to Disneyland since I was 4. At different times in my life, I was going twice a year (thanks to the International Truck Show at the ACC) and at others, only every couple of years or so. I have been to every quinquennial celebration since the 25th, with the exception of the 65th (thanks Covid.) That was the year everything was all wonky, for everyone, so I'm trying not to be salty about it. We did end up going to WDW that year - originally scheduled for March 23, 2020, ended up going around Election day instead. Then in 2021, some of the rescheduling stars aligned, and I was able to take my kiddos to DLR AND a kick-*** concert at Dodger Stadium in September.

(Both of these trips are detailed in the trip reports in my bio below.)

2022 started off AWESOMELY with a family trip to Costa Rica in March, white-water-rafting in July, then a RHCP concert planned in Seattle at the beginning of August, and ending the summer with a week in Yosemite, then a gonzo trip to DLR in October. Regrettably, 2 weeks after returning from CR, life, or rather, the prospect of death, got in the way, and the rest of my 2022 was a flurry of doctor's appointments, surgery, chemo, and radiation. Everything (except rafting and RHCP - don't tell my docs!) was postponed.

Whelp, yesterday was my last radiation session, so it's time to get to planning!

Oh wait, one more re-reschedule: this trip WAS re-planned for June 22-26, buuuuuut a new tournament director took over the disc golf tournament/group camping trip we and most of our friends go to every year that usually takes place on Father's Day weekend. Well, he moved it back one week and messed up my DLR plans! >:(

So. More rescheduling. Trying to coordinate 1 high school student, 1 soon-to-be college student, 1 second year college student, and 3, maybe 4 full-time working women.

Right now, we're looking at September 7-10. Of course I created a document of pros and cons, complete with historical crowd info and projected crowd info. Of the 3 dates offered (late August, early Sept, late Oct), the early September dates won out because of:
  • Low crowds
  • Cooler weather (hopefully, than August at least! We're Willamette Valleyans (SP?) - anything higher than 85 and we melt!)
  • Halloween decorations/overlays will be in place
  • Only one kiddo will have a school disruption (College won't start until later in the month)
  • Thus far, nothing scheduled at ACC.

We would have really liked to go earlier in the year, particularly so we could ride Splash one more time before it closes down, but life is what happens when you're busy making plans!

Right now I'm leaning to only having 2 days in the parks. The one kiddo is not exactly kickin' butt and taking names when it comes to school, so I'd like to not hobble him any further for my own selfish Disneyland addiction! But I REALLY hate crows and standing in line!

Oh wait: Cast members!
WholeCrew.JPG

(From OG Gonzo Trip '19 - Left to right)
J2 - My youngest child - will be a HS sophomore in September. Now about 6'3" tall!
S - M's child - will be starting college September. Also about 6' tall now!
Me - late 40's Disney freak
J1 - My oldest child - will be starting 2nd year of college in September.
K - Best buddy, will be flying down from Seattle and will meet us in Anaheim. Has been my DLR buddy for the better part of 2 decades.
M - Good buddy, mom of S.
Not pictured:
E - MAYBE - Sister-in-Law (hubby's sister). She was able to go to DLP when she was in HS 20 years ago, but has never been to DLR. Right now, she lives about 4 hrs away from us, on our way to CA, but I think they're looking to move.

I'm still on the fence about driving vs. flying. It isn't a true Gonzo trip if we don't drive, but my Sequoia ("Vader") isn't exactly a spring chicken. We'll be driving to Seattle next month (~4 hrs), Yosemite in August (10hrs), then a 15 hr drive, frequently exceeding 80 MPH for hrs at a time, in Sept? Yikes, might need to put some serious $$ into some preventative maintenance in the next couple of months!

Plus J2 REALLY doesn't want to drive. I may have to chloroform him...

So, the tentative plan right now if we drive and only have 2 days in the parks...

Option A
  • Thursday, Sept 7th, 4:00 PM
  • Leave Home, drive to MIL/SIL town (3-4hrs south). Stay the night with in-laws. Possibly kidnap SIL.
  • Friday, Sept 8th, 4:00 AM
  • Leave In-Laws. Arrive in Anaheim ~4:00 PM. Check in to Timeshare.
  • 7:00 PM Bubba Gump's. Is it weird I'm almost as excited about this as I am DLR?? LOVE this place!

Option B
  • Friday, Sept 8th, 2:00 AM
  • Leave Home, drive directly to Anaheim, stopping only for gas and potty breaks.
  • Arrive in Anaheim ~6:00 PM. Check in to Timeshare.
  • ~7:00 PM Bubba Gump's.

Me and my kiddos have ridden RotR both in WDW in 2020 and DLR in 2021. However, the first ride was marred by covid restrictions (no pre-show at all) and the second by breakdowns that really messed with the immersion. No one else in our group has ridden it, so I'm thinking we may do ILL for that one. We also did Webslingers in 2021, but no one else has. I've been stalking the lines apps, tho, and the wait for that one isn't so bad.
Unfortunately, it looks like both parks will have early hours for resort guests on both days.

Also, Oogie Boogie Bash is probably happening on the 9th in DCA. I've never been to an after hours event. After the year I've had, I'm seriously considering doing this!

I have not had the pleasure of dealing with G+ or ILLs yet, so that will be a learning curve. I have a feeling I'm really going to miss MaxPass.

MUST DOs:
  • RotR
  • Webslingers
  • GotG after dark
  • MFSR (M and S have not done this one either)
  • RSR
  • Incredicoaster
  • All the E-tickets in DL
  • Blue Bayou - I usually go here for the monte cristo every single time I go to DLR. Wasn't able to get reservations in 2021 and I got cancer. Pretty sure those things are related!

Saturday, September 9th (historical crowds for Sat. Sept. 10th: DL:3 DCA:2; projected crowds: DL:6 DCA:3)
8:00 ROPE DROP DCA
RSR (standby line)
WS (standby line)
GotG (G+ ?)
TSM
Soarin
Not really sure about the rest of the day.... There will be beer breaks and lunch! If we don't do Boo Bash, we'll probably get park-hoppers and head over to DL at 6:00PM.
BeerPower.JPG
BEER BREAK!! (Pictures were taken by another good friend who will not be going on this trip. She decided DL just isn't her thing!)

Sunday, September 10th (historical crowds for Sun. Sept. 11th: DL:5 DCA:5; projected crowds: DL:5 DCA:4)
8:00 ROPE DROP DL
RotR (standby line)
MFSR (standby line)
Space
BTMRR (must do at night too!!)
Lunch at BB
HMH
All the rest... still haven't ridden the new Snow White
Not really sure about the rest of the day.... If we don't do Boo Bash, we'll probably head over to DCA at some point to make sure we get GotG after dark, if we didn't hit it on Saturday.

So... thoughts? Not trying to break the bank, not trying to have my youngest flunk out of school, but I have a newfound appreciation for living life for today! In my position, would 2 days be enough? Would you do park-hoppers, G+, ILLs? Fly or Drive (PS: I actually love driving. On the '19 trip, I drove all but 2 of the 30hrs... and I couldn't even sleep during that 2 hrs because 1) too excited; 2) someone else was driving my beastie - too nervous! 😬)

Not trying to break the bank, not trying to have my youngest flunk out of school, but I have a newfound appreciation for living life for today!
Love to hear this! I have no suggestions bc my first DLR trip will be this June but I just wanted to say Hi 👋 and wish you the best in your trip planning process! : )

This trip was originally supposed to happen in late October 2022. However, that was smack-dab in the middle of my chemotherapy treatments, so dammit, no Disneyland for me in 2022. 😖

It is also a (maybe) remake of our wonderful "gonzo" trip that we made in 2019.

("Gonzo" in this context means a quick (~15 hrs each way) car trip to DLR focused on only the parks, done as cheaply and efficiently as possible.)

A little background:

I have been going to Disneyland since I was 4. At different times in my life, I was going twice a year (thanks to the International Truck Show at the ACC) and at others, only every couple of years or so. I have been to every quinquennial celebration since the 25th, with the exception of the 65th (thanks Covid.) That was the year everything was all wonky, for everyone, so I'm trying not to be salty about it. We did end up going to WDW that year - originally scheduled for March 23, 2020, ended up going around Election day instead. Then in 2021, some of the rescheduling stars aligned, and I was able to take my kiddos to DLR AND a kick-*** concert at Dodger Stadium in September.

(Both of these trips are detailed in the trip reports in my bio below.)

2022 started off AWESOMELY with a family trip to Costa Rica in March, white-water-rafting in July, then a RHCP concert planned in Seattle at the beginning of August, and ending the summer with a week in Yosemite, then a gonzo trip to DLR in October. Regrettably, 2 weeks after returning from CR, life, or rather, the prospect of death, got in the way, and the rest of my 2022 was a flurry of doctor's appointments, surgery, chemo, and radiation. Everything (except rafting and RHCP - don't tell my docs!) was postponed.

Whelp, yesterday was my last radiation session, so it's time to get to planning!

Oh wait, one more re-reschedule: this trip WAS re-planned for June 22-26, buuuuuut a new tournament director took over the disc golf tournament/group camping trip we and most of our friends go to every year that usually takes place on Father's Day weekend. Well, he moved it back one week and messed up my DLR plans! >:(

So. More rescheduling. Trying to coordinate 1 high school student, 1 soon-to-be college student, 1 second year college student, and 3, maybe 4 full-time working women.

Right now, we're looking at September 7-10. Of course I created a document of pros and cons, complete with historical crowd info and projected crowd info. Of the 3 dates offered (late August, early Sept, late Oct), the early September dates won out because of:
  • Low crowds
  • Cooler weather (hopefully, than August at least! We're Willamette Valleyans (SP?) - anything higher than 85 and we melt!)
  • Halloween decorations/overlays will be in place
  • Only one kiddo will have a school disruption (College won't start until later in the month)
  • Thus far, nothing scheduled at ACC.

We would have really liked to go earlier in the year, particularly so we could ride Splash one more time before it closes down, but life is what happens when you're busy making plans!

Right now I'm leaning to only having 2 days in the parks. The one kiddo is not exactly kickin' butt and taking names when it comes to school, so I'd like to not hobble him any further for my own selfish Disneyland addiction! But I REALLY hate crows and standing in line!

Oh wait: Cast members!
View attachment 741751

(From OG Gonzo Trip '19 - Left to right)
J2 - My youngest child - will be a HS sophomore in September. Now about 6'3" tall!
S - M's child - will be starting college September. Also about 6' tall now!
Me - late 40's Disney freak
J1 - My oldest child - will be starting 2nd year of college in September.
K - Best buddy, will be flying down from Seattle and will meet us in Anaheim. Has been my DLR buddy for the better part of 2 decades.
M - Good buddy, mom of S.
Not pictured:
E - MAYBE - Sister-in-Law (hubby's sister). She was able to go to DLP when she was in HS 20 years ago, but has never been to DLR. Right now, she lives about 4 hrs away from us, on our way to CA, but I think they're looking to move.

I'm still on the fence about driving vs. flying. It isn't a true Gonzo trip if we don't drive, but my Sequoia ("Vader") isn't exactly a spring chicken. We'll be driving to Seattle next month (~4 hrs), Yosemite in August (10hrs), then a 15 hr drive, frequently exceeding 80 MPH for hrs at a time, in Sept? Yikes, might need to put some serious $$ into some preventative maintenance in the next couple of months!

Plus J2 REALLY doesn't want to drive. I may have to chloroform him...

So, the tentative plan right now if we drive and only have 2 days in the parks...

Option A
  • Thursday, Sept 7th, 4:00 PM
  • Leave Home, drive to MIL/SIL town (3-4hrs south). Stay the night with in-laws. Possibly kidnap SIL.
  • Friday, Sept 8th, 4:00 AM
  • Leave In-Laws. Arrive in Anaheim ~4:00 PM. Check in to Timeshare.
  • 7:00 PM Bubba Gump's. Is it weird I'm almost as excited about this as I am DLR?? LOVE this place!

Option B
  • Friday, Sept 8th, 2:00 AM
  • Leave Home, drive directly to Anaheim, stopping only for gas and potty breaks.
  • Arrive in Anaheim ~6:00 PM. Check in to Timeshare.
  • ~7:00 PM Bubba Gump's.

Me and my kiddos have ridden RotR both in WDW in 2020 and DLR in 2021. However, the first ride was marred by covid restrictions (no pre-show at all) and the second by breakdowns that really messed with the immersion. No one else in our group has ridden it, so I'm thinking we may do ILL for that one. We also did Webslingers in 2021, but no one else has. I've been stalking the lines apps, tho, and the wait for that one isn't so bad.
Unfortunately, it looks like both parks will have early hours for resort guests on both days.

Also, Oogie Boogie Bash is probably happening on the 9th in DCA. I've never been to an after hours event. After the year I've had, I'm seriously considering doing this!

I have not had the pleasure of dealing with G+ or ILLs yet, so that will be a learning curve. I have a feeling I'm really going to miss MaxPass.

MUST DOs:
  • RotR
  • Webslingers
  • GotG after dark
  • MFSR (M and S have not done this one either)
  • RSR
  • Incredicoaster
  • All the E-tickets in DL
  • Blue Bayou - I usually go here for the monte cristo every single time I go to DLR. Wasn't able to get reservations in 2021 and I got cancer. Pretty sure those things are related!

Saturday, September 9th (historical crowds for Sat. Sept. 10th: DL:3 DCA:2; projected crowds: DL:6 DCA:3)
8:00 ROPE DROP DCA
RSR (standby line)
WS (standby line)
GotG (G+ ?)
TSM
Soarin
Not really sure about the rest of the day.... There will be beer breaks and lunch! If we don't do Boo Bash, we'll probably get park-hoppers and head over to DL at 6:00PM.
View attachment 741752
BEER BREAK!! (Pictures were taken by another good friend who will not be going on this trip. She decided DL just isn't her thing!)

Sunday, September 10th (historical crowds for Sun. Sept. 11th: DL:5 DCA:5; projected crowds: DL:5 DCA:4)
8:00 ROPE DROP DL
RotR (standby line)
MFSR (standby line)
Space
BTMRR (must do at night too!!)
Lunch at BB
HMH
All the rest... still haven't ridden the new Snow White
Not really sure about the rest of the day.... If we don't do Boo Bash, we'll probably head over to DCA at some point to make sure we get GotG after dark, if we didn't hit it on Saturday.

So... thoughts? Not trying to break the bank, not trying to have my youngest flunk out of school, but I have a newfound appreciation for living life for today! In my position, would 2 days be enough? Would you do park-hoppers, G+, ILLs? Fly or Drive (PS: I actually love driving. On the '19 trip, I drove all but 2 of the 30hrs... and I couldn't even sleep during that 2 hrs because 1) too excited; 2) someone else was driving my beastie - too nervous! 😬)
Lifelong resident of the Willamette Valley myself. Have a great trip.

Loved reading this. Not sure how how your trip went but based on your enthusiasm for life, I'm guessing you kicked some ***. Quite inspiring to tell you the truth. My wife, an absolute DISNEY FREAK who got me and my 4 kids hooked on Disney, was diagnosed with Glioblastoma (Brain Cancer) in 2020 right after our 4th trip to DisneyWorld. She suffered through multiple resections of brain tumors, multiple rounds of chemo and radiation, 3 strokes, 2 major seizures, and several PT rehab stints before passing away on August 2, 2023. She suffered so much but during her last 3 years of her life, we made 4 more trips to Disney and she too, like you, kicked ***.

My kids and I are visiting DisneyLand in June and paying homage to her love of EVERYTHING DISNEY. Love your spirit and I hope you are still fighting the damn cancer and walking strong in your journey.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter