A Day @ DCA w/the Kids ~ w/Pictures

WebmasterMaryJo

Techarita
Staff member
Administrator
flowerface.GIF
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=navy>Last weekend, I decided it was time to upgrade our APs to 2-Park APs, and so last Sunday, 6/10, we went to DCA. Kelly brought along a friend of hers, Brandi, who had never been.

We got to DCA at 9am when it opened, and went straight to Soaring. The wait was probably about ten minutes, so we got fastpasses for later, and went on the ride. Brandi wondered why we got fastpasses for a ride we could get right on, and we told her it was so we could return. :D

Going from Sunshine Plaza to Condor Flats, you pass a trainload of shops, from Engine-Ears Toys, to Baker's Field Bakery (yummy), and Bur-r-r Bank Ice Cream.

Brandi & Kelly, decked out in their requisition Pooh and Tigger Ears stand by the shops.
002girlsa.jpg

As we neared the Soaring attraction, we stopped to enjoy this band who was really doing a number on percussion accompaniment. I love these touches.
003band.jpg

After Soaring, we were walking, when I spotted this prickly Hidden Minnie
004hmmcactus1.jpg

On our way to Grizzly Rapids, we passed the exclusive entrance to the Grand Californian Hotel (a beautiful hotel to stay at)
005gcentrance1.jpg

The wait for Grizzly River Run was probably 5 minutes, so we hopped in line. Here Kelly & Brandi wait - I laughed when a CM told Brandi she had poo on her hair -- tee hee.
006girlsatrapids1.jpg

Nick had two hats he brought for our day at DCA. A lot of people stopped him when they saw this one (well, and a lot just pointed an laughed :cool: ) and asked where he got it - they were surprised when he answered school. heh
007nick1.jpg

We met a fun family on our raft, and all eight of us whooped and hollered throughout the ride. It was so much fun. We all rode the last drop with our hands up, and I pointed at the girls and wished the most water onto them - ended up I got the wettest (which they loved). There are lockers near the ride that allow you to leave your stuff for a couple of hours for free, then they charge, but I didn't use it. After the ride, the kids wanted to go again. By now, the line had grown to about a half hour long. Since I wanted to take pics, I didn't go on the ride.

Here is a pic of Grizzly Peak I took while I waited.
011bear1.jpg

The queue for Grizzly River Run is very pretty, with a waterfall backdrop and greenery. In a few years, I think the trees will have grown enough to give shade on those hot California days. The kids aren't hard to pick out in their crazy head toppings. Here Nick is putting on his other hat.
012queue1.jpg

And in case you couldn't see the kids before, here they are again, having fun while they wait. :jester:
013queuecloseup1.jpg

The kids watch a geyser close by... will it wet them?
018raft1.jpg

Yeah, it did.
019raft1.jpg

After that, I wanted to check out the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. Nick protested that it was really for "little kids" ~ but it didn't take long for him to join in the fun, and chase Kelly and Brandi all through the area. I thought this place was neat for kids, especially 5-12 perhaps. There are rope bridges, wooden swaying bridges, water to wade through, rock wall to climb across (like a rock climber), and swings to swing down on.

The girls make a quick stop so Mom can snap a pic.
021bridge1.jpg

Here the kids slide down the rock slide... Nick in close pursuit ofthe girls.
023kids1.jpg

Somehow, the girls got away, and now Nick goes down the log slide in his search.
025nick1.jpg

In walking around the Redwood Creek Challenge area, I enjoyed the many beautiful views.
026view1.jpg

Another feature of this area is storytelling. Here is Nicole, the Legend Keeper, sharing a legend of the Miwok Indians of Yosemite. She was a most excellent storyteller.
027nicole1.jpg

More pictures. And I see where Nick gets his shyness. ;)

flowerface.GIF
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=navy>After visiting the Grizzly/Redwood area, we headed over to the Paradise Pier area. The Golden Zephyr was closed (again), and the kids didn't want to do the jumping parachutes, so we got fastpasses for Mulholland Madness (none of us had ridden this yet) and headed over to the Orange Stinger.

While the kids went on that one and Maliboomer, I waited and enjoyed the scenery, and people watched. I liked this view of the California Screaming rollercoaster and the Sunwheel.
031coaster1.jpg

And you never really get away from being reminded of the DIS.
037sideshow1.jpg

I also enjoyed this band while they played the song "Route 66" - so Southern California, I thought.
038band1.jpg

View from Paradise Pier of Paradise Bay with the Orange Stinger, Jumping Jellyfish, and Mulholland Madness behind it, and the Golden Zephyr to the right (and not moving as often happens). The hotel in the back and to the left is Paradise Pier, and the hotel way in the back is the Disneyland Hotel.
041waterview1.jpg

By now Nick was starving (poor child), since his stomach lives by the clock, and so we started to look for someplace to eat. On the way, however, we stopped for It's Tough to Be a Bug.

Kelly & Brandi in the theater "lobby"
043bgslfgirls1.jpg

Nick with definite hunger pains
045hungrynick1.jpg

After the show, which we all enjoyed, we headed over to Hollywood Backlot. The Eureka Parade was just starting. Since we had never seen it, we decided to watch.
046parade1.jpg

Then it was on to Hollywood and Dine for a late lunch/early dinner. By now it was 2:50, and we found out that the place closed at 3pm - what?. Sunday afternoon, and the place closes at 3 - sad. I would imagine that at lunchtime this is a good place to bring a family - they have chinese, pizza, deli sandwiches, chicken, and burgers. You pick what you want, and pay at one cashier - nice -- when it's open. We ended up getting what was left, and ate (it could have been much better, but with kids it was okay).

After that, we saw Superstar Limo - kids laughed. MuppetVision 3-D that we had only seen in WDW, and Brandi had never seen, and then headed to the Animation Studio - always a fun stop.

Cruella was standing by the studio, and so the girls took a pic with her. She was very much in character, and was most interested in anything that looked like a pelt. I thanked her for the picture, and she kind of sneered and said "of course." lol
051cruella1.jpg

We then went into the Animation Station, and enjoyed the shows, and then the Sorcerer's Workshop. One thing I like about this place is that the CMs do not chase you out of there after a certain amount of time, so you're able to really enjoy what you're doing.

Here's Brandi with the results of the magic character book. She's most like Mulan.
052brandibook1.jpg

Kelly was most like Princess Dot
053kellybook1.jpg

Nick was most like.... Tinkerbell (he hit the wrong choice when it said boy or girl... ha ha)
054nickbook1.jpg

We then lent our voices to scenes and songs. This is another fun part of the Animation Station.
058kidsvoice1.jpg

After Animation Station we decided to go back to Paradise Pier and ride on Mulholland Madness. I expected the coaster to be a bit more scary, but it wasn't. It was just fun. Oh, one thing that happened. I didn't realize that when I got my fastpass the ticket was invalid (they were out of them). It wasn't until I pulled them out to hand in that I realized that. The CM saw me, and said that they were trying out a single ride line, and I could use that if I wanted to - heck yeah I did. This pic was taken from the ride (the other ones came out blurry - lol).
061view1.jpg

The kids decided to ride it again, and so I told them go ahead & do the single rider line (the standby line had been at a steady 45 minutes all day). Well, Nick got on the ride, and was going right along when the whole system shut down. Yikes my boy was up there! There were some people stuck right below me, so I told them that they were truly experiencing Mulholland Drive in typical LA traffic. :p Finally, they brought Nick and his co-riders down.
063breakdown1.jpg

We then decided to go on California Screaming. Brandi does not like roller coasters, so Kelly decided to go with her on the Sunwheel. Nick & I rode the coaster. Ahhh, what a blast! That has become my favorite loop rollercoaster - even above the ones at Magic Mountain - my head bangs around on those, and I end up with a huge headache - this one is smooth smooth smooth :smooth:

By now, it was after 7pm, and the park closed at 9pm, so the kids decided to go on the River Run again. I decided that it was just a little too late for me to get wet.
065raft1.jpg

I enjoyed the view as I waited. Here's Grizzly Peak.
066bear1.jpg

As the skies darkened, the lights began to go on around the park. Here is the Sunwheel.
067sunwheel1.jpg

I could hear the kids laughing as they came down the hill, and round to get wet some more.
068raft1.jpg

I then went to the end to meet them... and I waited... and I waited .... no kids - they had stayed on the rafts. So I went back to the bridge to watch for them. Sure enough, here they came, and as passed under the bridge, and came out the other side, I heard, "Hey Mom, Can we go on it again?!!"
069Goagain1.jpg

By the 5th time around it was definitely dark out there, but I could still see the huge smiles on their faces.
070raft1.jpg

We ended our day with one more trip Soaring over California. Those fastpasses we got in the morning came in handy since there was still a line of about 30 minutes. Then I walked as they squelched our way to the tram and the car.

Another fun Disney day. :sunny:

MaryJo...excellent pictures!!! I love reading your posts...Your kids are so beautiful too!! Thanks for sharing! :)

Thanks for posting those great pictures!
We leave on Wed(can't believe the time is finally so close!) for 7 nights at the Disneyland Hotel. Reading your report and seeing the pictures really adds to our excitement and brings the park right into our home!
Thanks for sharing your day with us.:D

Oh does that bring back memories! We were there on the same day, we must have passed each other? My son loved California Adventure, we went on Soaring three times but only got on Sceamin once. The Grizzly River Rapids is a blast, we didn't get too wet...but a girl riding with us was soaked. Thanks for sharing the pictures, mine didn't come out that well. Your kids are lucky to have a "Disney Mom"!

Thanks for sharing the rascals with us, MJ. And a third one there too. Your pictures bring back so many memories, especially those ever-present smiles on Kelly and Nick. And now Brandi also. :D Always love the Tigger ears.

What a great day you guys had!!!! Again, thanks, MJ. :sunny:

Wow! Great pictures, Mary Jo. :) It looks like you all had a great time. :) :) :)

Thanks for the pictures, Mary Jo! Only 9 more days and we'll be there -- your pictures give us an idea what to expect! :D

Mary Jo
You all had a great day - thanks for the report and pictures. And just think I will be experiencing this park in just about 2 months - YIPPEE!

Great report Mary Jo. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I will see it all for myself in 3 days.

Thanks again:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter