A Couple of Questions

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I took a trip to Disney World recently, staying at the Grand Floridian. Had a couple of questions.

1) Regarding the monorail, is the other side of the station at the GF and the Polynesian ever used or have they ever been used since there's stairs going up there?

2) We saw monorails passing us with people sitting in the front cab. Is this allowed now for special guests or cast members or something?

3) Is there a no-fly zone over Disney World given all the lasers and lights that get pointed up every night now during the Fireworks show?

4) Do the Disney Transport buses have a priority street light system around the resort so that they don't get held up at red lights?

5) I'm still debating whether or not to complain to Disney about this, but several monorail cars that arrived for us did not have the A/C going or we were told that the A/C was broken. In one instance, we had to wait for the next monorail because of crowding on fewer cars. Has this been occurring more frequently recently and has anyone else encountered this?

Thank you.

1. I'm pretty sure they were at one point.

2. Not that I'm aware of.

3. Not a no fly zone, but it is avoided.

4. No.

5. Pretty regular occurrence for us.

1. I'm pretty sure they were at one point.

2. Not that I'm aware of.

3. Not a no fly zone, but it is avoided.

4. No.

5. Pretty regular occurrence for us.

I remember at one point they were a legal no fly zone...but they kept having to get waivers when they wanted to fly their own drones.

I’ve ridden in the front of the monorail a few times. Not sure what the rules are today, but here’s how it worked last time I rode (probably 5-6 years ago?).

There’s a separate little queue area at front of monorail waiting area... sort of like trying to get the front/back row of a roller coaster at other theme parks. They only allowed parties of 4 or fewer last time I rode.

I’ve ridden in the front of the monorail a few times. Not sure what the rules are today, but here’s how it worked last time I rode (probably 5-6 years ago?).

There’s a separate little queue area at front of monorail waiting area... sort of like trying to get the front/back row of a roller coaster at other theme parks. They only allowed parties of 4 or fewer last time I rode.
Could it actually been longer ago? There was a fatal accident several years ago and they stopped allowing guests to ride in the cab. I would be shocked if that has been reinstated.

Could it actually been longer ago? There was a fatal accident several years ago and they stopped allowing guests to ride in the cab. I would be shocked if that has been reinstated.

Could have definitely been longer than that. In fact, since I don’t have the pics on my phone, it must have been 9+ years ago. (I used a digital camera before I got my first iPhone)

The monorail accident which prompted the change was in 2009, FWIW. If you see someone other than the driver at the controls in the front cab, it’s a maintenance or other monorail/transporation CM riding along. I have seen that before, although rarely.

Hi,

I took a trip to Disney World recently, staying at the Grand Floridian. Had a couple of questions.

1) Regarding the monorail, is the other side of the station at the GF and the Polynesian ever used or have they ever been used since there's stairs going up there?

2) We saw monorails passing us with people sitting in the front cab. Is this allowed now for special guests or cast members or something?

3) Is there a no-fly zone over Disney World given all the lasers and lights that get pointed up every night now during the Fireworks show?

4) Do the Disney Transport buses have a priority street light system around the resort so that they don't get held up at red lights?

5) I'm still debating whether or not to complain to Disney about this, but several monorail cars that arrived for us did not have the A/C going or we were told that the A/C was broken. In one instance, we had to wait for the next monorail because of crowding on fewer cars. Has this been occurring more frequently recently and has anyone else encountered this?

Thank you.
1. No idea
2. No
3. Limited fly areas as needed
4. No
5. Disney is crowded. Not sure it's complaint worthy but you can if you want.

To clarify on some things:

On question 2, during our trip, we saw a family sitting in the front cab. There was definitely at least one child in the front, and they were on that express monorail between the Magic Kingdom and the TTC.

On question 5, I was referring to possibly complaining about several monorail cars being closed because of the A/C not working and that drastically increasing the wait times to get on a monorail during my trip. I was not referring to simply complaining about the crowds.

On question 2, during our trip, we saw a family sitting in the front cab. There was definitely at least one child in the front, and they were on that express monorail between the Magic Kingdom and the TTC.

Maybe it was a "Wish" family?

I was actually one of those that got to ride in the front (prior to 2009). I remember being told to sit on the purple bench as it let them know you wanted to ride with the driver.

On question 5, I was referring to possibly complaining about several monorail cars being closed because of the A/C not working and that drastically increasing the wait times to get on a monorail during my trip. I was not referring to simply complaining about the crowds.
Maybe the express is the one time they'll allow it under very limited conditions (such as a Wish child, as PP suggested) since that monorail doesn't have others on the line with it? They do not allow it on the Resort line any more

5. Sure. You can complain about anything you want. The cars are old though, lots of them have issues. The entire system has lots of issues. We avoid using it whenever possible because of the issues. Avoid staying at the Monorail resorts because of the monorail issues. Complaints aren't going to make it younger. They aren't going to do anything much to replace it either, it is what it is. They are working to upgrade the computer system but it won't alter the track or cars. They are way outside their life expectancy now, as I understand it.

I've ridden in the front cab of the monorail many times over the years. I think it's been a long time since that have allowed passengers up there, I have seen them training new drivers up front though

As to question #2 in 2008 they let me and my daughter ride in the front. A CM actually walked up to us and asked us if we wanted to ride. By out 2012 trip we were told it was no longer allowed. Regardless of the rule I have seen CM's getting a ride up front.

Maybe it was a "Wish" family?

I was actually one of those that got to ride in the front (prior to 2009). I remember being told to sit on the purple bench as it let them know you wanted to ride with the driver.
That makes a lot of sense. Disney is great with doing wish requests for kids. Its always happy and sad to see those.

They may use the stairs at the Polynesian and Grand Floridian for evacuation purposes on the Express monorail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter