A Canadian on Oahu - trip report Feb 4-20 2022!

Yes we have had these cookies - we were underwhelmed - might need to give it another try
no,,different strokes,,different folks,,,my wife loved them,,,I was ok good,,but would not go out of my way for them...
Now maids cottage buttertarts,,,,or Lisa's peanut butter pie in windsor,NS ,,,now I am driving for those.

Hi All

we are here in Oahu so thought I would drop a few updates to ya’ll as I have gotten so much back from these boards over the years!

Scene: DH and I, from Halifax NS. Spending one week Waikiki Beach, 1 week Aulani. First trip out of province since pre-Covid. Have been to Hawaii a handful of times in the past. Are DVC members

Trip dates/flight path: planned to overnight in Toronto on Fri the 5th but ice storm forced us out a day earlier- so we flew out on the last plane on Thursday, Feb 4th, night in Toronto, then Toronto - Vancouver, then Vancouver- Honolulu. We were able to change our flight with Air Canada for free only when there was a travel advisory due to weather, so it was a mad rush that day to get everything packed up and ready to go.

Covid stuff: had a rapid test in Halifax through a private company on the day of departure. I do a rapid Covid test every 72 hours for work (I work in a hospital) so this was easy peasy as I normally ram that thing up so far my nose, and their application was a gentle dusting of the nostrils! I knew it was going to be negative because I did a rapid earlier that morning and it was negative. We had to bring our passport to the test appointment so it could be added to our documentation related to the test result. Within 15 minutes I got an email and we printed off the doc and brought it with us to the airport. Because we were travelling directly from Canada, we did not have to complete any online safe travels Hawaii stuff.

Airport experience: Checking in online was a much longer process than previously as we had to upload new documents, etc. it was extensive. In Halifax, the airport is like a ghost town. Many of the restaurants are closed. The Air Canada agent went through all of our Covid docs and was able to print off boarding passes with notation on the boarding pass itself that we met all of our flight to Hawaii requirements, and checked our bags all the way to Hawaii which was great. Security was a breeze in Halifax as volumes are low, although the security staff were cranky. At the Toronto airport it felt like it was business as usual…lots of people. Very cold and very snowy. We stayed overnight on Marriott points at the Element…was great. Hot breakfast included. Flights to Vancouver and Honolulu uneventful….wearing a mask all the time is a drag tho. Makes my nose itch so I am forever touching my face which is not good infection control measures! On the flight, it felt safe. The airports tho, physical distancing is almost non-existent. Everyone is wearing a mask.

Arrival in Honolulu Airport: got off the plane, no special lines, to baggage claim, got bags, and left. Super easy. No special additional Covid checks at arrival or anything. No waits. We had pre-arranged a car to pick us up through Super Limosine Service. We have booked them to pick us up from airport to Waikiki, Waikiki to Aulani, then at the end of our trip from Aulani to airport. We were a bit put off that they charged us immediately after booking, but frankly they have been nothing but accommodating and attentive so far. We had to change our arrival and departure times several times due to the airline changes, with no problem. They were waiting for us when we arrived - we went out to meet them (no person with a sign at the airport, we went to a designated place). We bought the Lei package so they gave us a lei before getting into…get this…a white stretch limo. We weren’t expecting that. It had chasing lights on the inside, could have fit 8 people. We thought it was pretty funny!

Stay at Queen Kapiolani, Waikiki Beach: First time staying at Queen Kapiolani, love this place. We have a diamond head/ocean view…amazing. We had to book an extra night for our early arrival and they were able to link it to our other 7 day stay so no moving around. We can hear the zoo animals at dusk and dawn getting riled up. There is still plenty of action at this end of Waikiki beach but not as intense. We see the sunrise and sunset every morning from our room or our deck. Think 180 panorama of diamond head and the beach, from our bed as it’s all windows. Lovely. First day we headed out for coffee and macadamia croissants and didn’t have to go far - went to the cafe within the hotel (note: no coffee machine in room!). Was great but of course expensive ($38 CDN for 2 coffees two croissants). Then once daylight, went for a walk further down on the beach walk toward Diamondhead and had a pineapple smoothie (in a pineapple of course) at Barefoot beach cafe. Great place to people watch, we’ll be back for supper and we understand they have live music too. We made a last minute reservation for 10:30am at Hulu Grill (we watch a lot of Amanda and Felix youtube videos so some of our food choices reflect that) where we had the loco moco and the mac pancakes. All good. They checked our vaccine status at the door and had no issue with our Canadian docs. There was a Chinese New Year celebration happening throughout the area so we got some great interaction with dancing dragons! We had an afternoon nap and then went to the Deck for happy hour. Friendly staff, the sliders were good, great views of diamond head. Their Mai Tai isn’t our favourite by a long shot, actually none of the 2 happy hour cocktails we liked. We also spent $93 CDN for 4 drinks and 2 appetizers during happy hour! This will be an expensive food trip. We went for a walk, then came back and they serve dole whips at our hotel - pretty good.

Next day (Sunday) we rented a car and went to the Aloha swap meet at the Stadium. Hertz rental at the Hyatt was super easy, especially if you are gold members. we got some great stuff at the swap meet, lots of inexpensive Hawaiian stuff…it’s so big….we were there for a few hours and our feet were aching by the end of it. But got a nice haul of stuff, and even 4 wine glasses for $1.50 - as our room is very short on these things, it was a cheap way to get glasses. We ended up that night getting a bottle(s) of wine to enjoy on our deck. We then went to Honolulu to the Original Pancake House (another Amanda and Felix recommendation) and we really loved it. As they say, super OG and local vibe. If you go there, get the apple pancake, it’s incredible. They not only check your vaccine documentation, but take your temperature. We then went for a drive to Kailua beach. This is one frickin beautiful beach. Tough to get parking on the weekend tho, probably spent more time finding parking than actual time on the beach. We walked the beach…gorgeous.

Returned the car to Hertz and picked up some munchies from the ABC store, and that was pretty well the end to the evening! In reflection I guess we did quite a bit, while also watching Scotties and Olympic curling!

More adventure awaits today!
I saw your amazing post for the first time this morning . Even though it’s been many years since I was there with my two daughters , I loved hearing about the sites you were seeing . I look forward to reading your posts . Glad your trip from Canda to Hawaii went so smoothly. You had your things well planned in advanced which eliminates a lot of stress .

Part 5 - Waikiki Wednesday

Hi all

This was an adventuresome day so I think more deets is required…

We got up and out the door to pick up our car rental at 8:00am as we had the 2 hour ATV ride at Kualoa Ranch booked for 11:00 and they indicated you needed to be there 45 minutes early (more on that later).

We did a stop for ‘breakfast’ at Leonard’s - to get malasada fuel before our trip. Parking is tight in there and first thing in the morning is BUSY so be warned. You go into the shop and pick and pay for what you want, then you wait outside at the order window for your number to be called. Pink boxes everywhere. We ordered a 1/2 dozen - 2 originals, 1 chocolate, 1 coconut, 1 guava, 1 macadamia. We ended up getting 8 in our box (not sure it was because of my aloha/Mahalo comments, my tip, or a fluke!). They were warm and crispy and bigger than I thought (I was thinking they were more mini). Eating them in the rental car was messy but we did it anyway as there is nowhere to sit outside. My preference of the filled ones was the guava and the macadamia. Chocolate one was like pudding filling - not opposed to chocolate pudding, just need a more intensely chocolate flavouring in a treat like this.

All sugared up, we then headed up to the ranch via the east side of the island - Kalaniana Highway up through Sandy beach. It takes longer but we had a bit of time and wanted to see this side of the island. It was an absolutely stunning ride - gorgeous..highly recommend. Just needed to get through the burbs first and then you are driving coastline. The east, or windward side, is becoming one of our favourite areas on the island.

We stopped at a few lookouts and finished up the malasadas…not sure we needed 8 between the 2 of us…boof!

Arrived at the Ranch at 10, went to register for our 2 hour ATV ride at 11. Note, we decided to line up early as that put us in the first car after the Guide who drives the pace ATV - less dust kick up. Glad we did. We got much less dirty than everyone else. They offer you glasses for your eyes - take ‘em. My DH had his sporty Oakleys and I had my ray bans, and the eye shields you get from them are better at keeping out the dust, although they don’t look like much. They also give you a mandatory helmet - like a bike helmet really. We wore our disposable face masks too. Unless you want to breathe in a lot of dust, something over your face and mouth is the way to go. Go figure those miserable face masks are good for something other than a pandemic!

We both signed up to be drivers but I knew DH wanted to be behind the wheel and so he drove the entire time. We had multiple stops and there were stories about the land and some video tricks. I don’t want to spoil it for you all by getting into too much detail, all I can say we thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend.

At the end they have a wash up basin and you’ll need it. We had a complete change of clothes in the car (true confessions - we actually changed in the car) as our clothes were disgusting and will have to wait for the load of wash when we arrive at Aulani. We wouldn’t have been able to go out to lunch in those clothes! Be warned!

it was after 1:00 and the malasadas had worn off so we began searching for lunch. Ended up going to a place on the windward side just across from Kailua Beach Park, Buzz’s Steakhouse. We had googled it before and was on one of the Youtuber videos…note - for a steakhouse, not a lot of steak is on the menu. We really liked it there, even has beach views (from across the street). Music was starting around 3pm. Nice post beach hangout for sure. We even started googling beach houses in the area for future trips. I had a great salad with chicken, pecans and fruit galore. Was great.

After lunch, thought a ’little ice cream’ might be nice (this was a ‘bad‘ food day) and the best reviewed in the area was Double Three - ice cream in bubble waffle cones. I had this before at home so wasn’t new to me. All I wanted was a little cup of icecream and ended up with this elaborate thing. I got the Mac nut ice cream special flavour of the day - yum chunks of Mac nut in it. It was all very good but all too much!

Heading home at 3:30ish was another matter. Lots of construction and traffic, so it took us awhile. We ended up returning the car after 4pm which means we had to drop it off at the Royal Hawaiian centre and leave it outside with a key drop off.

Since we were already there….Mai Tai bar at the Royal Hawaiian perhaps? Ok yes, so we went back for their delicious $20 Mai tais. Watched the rows of surfers out there, a shark sighting, and the sun set. We were in shorts and tees, and we still got the same excellent service- ie no snobbery here. Really an excellent place to hang out.

Stopped in to Dukes to see if I could get a set of clear tiki mugs that I saw when we were there. It was busy madness, just nuts! Probably around 7:30 at this point. I had to run up to Hulu Grill to purchase them.

Walk home to our hotel - busy streets, lots of people out, buskers everywhere!

Back in to watch Olympic men’s curling and see Gushue win over Norway! Hurrah!

Last edited:
All sugared up, we then headed up to the ranch via the east side of the island - Kalaniana Highway up through Sandy beach. It takes longer but we had a bit of time and wanted to see this side of the island. It was an absolutely stunning ride - gorgeous..highly recommend. Just needed to get through the burbs first and then you are driving coastline. The east, or windward side, is becoming one of our favourite areas on the island.
At the end they have a wash up basin and you’ll need it. We had a complete change of clothes in the car (true confessions - we actually changed in the car) as our clothes were disgusting and will have to wait for the load of wash when we arrive at Aulani. We wouldn’t have been able to go out to lunch in those clothes! Be warned!
I, too, love that side of the island. One of my favorite parts of our trip were the times spent driving it and stopping as we pleased, whether for food, points of interest, etc. On our upcoming trip, I am planning to make it over there at least three times, coming in and ending at various locations, with different objectives each time.

Do they have changing areas at Kualoa? That‘s good to know about arriving early.

Part 5 - Waikiki Thursday

after a busy Wednesday, Thursday started of a bit more low key (note: started off)…

- We went for breakfast at Barefoot Beach Cafe but it was closed due to mechanical issues…so where to go close by for breakfast? We felt we might be disappointed in the Deck’s $20 bacon and eggs, so we did what I swore we wouldn’t do - went to Denny’s. Last time I was at Dennys it was in one of the New England states probably over 25 years ago and I got sick on the side of the road so I always said, never again. Never again came on Thursday. And I have to say, it was pretty good and reasonably priced. Great smoothies.
- Ocean frolicking
- Went to Appetito Craft Pizza and Wine bar for happy hour. We really liked this place. Checked all the boxes - food, service, atmosphere. Happy hour drinks included $9 cocktails and $30 bottles of wine, and select appetizers discounted $4 (all US prices). Was great!
-Since we were out and about post happy hour, we were determined to find a fun new spot. We are always seeking out Tiki bars when we can (love Trader Sam’s at the Poly) and we fell upon Cuckoo Coconuts. What a bizarre little place. It’s like an eclectic tiki bar (is there any other kind?) in the middle of a parking lot. We LOVED it here, so much that we stayed for two sets by the band. Played music that was seriously vintage but know all the words so great to sing along. Drinks here were excellent too, but after our happy hour at the wine bar earlier, it was getting to be a bit much. Great time had by all!!

Unrelated observation: there doesn’t seem to be any recycling going on in Hawaii. Every garbage can is just a general collection of real trash, bottles, cans, compostables. Back home we have a huge recycling program that separates out plastic, metal, paper, and compost. It is a pain in the butt but we have had this program for 25+ years, so we are used to how it works. I would have thought this would have been even more important for a state like Hawaii. Curious…

Part 6- Waikiki Friday and Saturday Aulani arrival

Friday, our last day at Waikiki- was late starting and very low key.

Skipped breakfast, lunch at Marukame Udon. Mmmm noodles. Opened at 11:00, there was a long line when we arrived right at 11:00am. Moved fast. It was all good, including the tempura. We come here every trip.

Happy hour at Tommy Bahamas. Really good, good food and prices. Atmosphere is very urban. I had a really good non alcoholic drink called Blue my Mind and it tasted like peach skin - hard to explain, but very good. We then ventured to what I would call a dive tiki bar - Arnold’s. Cheap (but very good) drinks and interesting clientele. Not really my scene but it was interesting!

On Saturday morning we had the same limo company pick us up at 11:00am (in another stretch limo (yikes) but on time and efficient, worked out great. We arrived at Aulani and got registered...was told magic bands would not work (bummer) so kinda abandoned that plan. Got our laundry tokens from the front desk and to the laundry we went. We brought our own laundry soap. I think the wash went for 30 minutes and the dryer 45 minutes. Within that time we got an email (even though we gave a cell number) that our room was ready...and thought we would get a text - heads up, check all of your communication tools when waiting for your room to be ready, or you might miss the notification.

Went up to our room and we so thrilled that our room requests were all granted - above the 9th floor, rooms between 77-79. Gorgeous view, did not think they could be this good for an island garden view!

Great view for the luau tonight too!

Went down to the general store in Aulani - very limited selection of groceries, and the wine selection was really poor. We headed over to the ABC across the street and got luau watching provisions. We realized that the limited items at the Aulani general store (milk, eggs, etc) were cheaper than the ABC store (and closer to our room) so we held off buying those items from ABC. Coming back in, I got my traditional Disney trip ‘egg McMuffin provisions’ (English muffin, sliced cheese, ham, egg, butter - magic with microwave and toaster) at the Aulani general store. $27 US for 3+ breakfasts for 2 is a steal at Aulani! If you are DVC and are looking for your 10% discount here, remember to have uploaded your DVC card within the phone you are using. I had to show that plus an ID, FYI.

Setting up for luau, can’t wait (hopefully Canada vs USA curling match will be over before the luau starts ;))

Last edited:

PS. As a Canadian, when we checked in to Aulani this morning, the cast member asked us for our boarding passes, as we were Canadian and arriving directly from Canada (and therefore did not a safe travels account to show our vaccinations). These old boarding passes were packed deeply into our bags but we had our itinerary docs also saved through google drive so quickly was able to pull it up on our phone for their review of our travel itinerary and confirmation that we flew directly from Canada. So heads up, if you are a Canadian travelling directly from Canada to Hawaii (ie not through the US) you will need this documentation at the Aulani check in desk. We then got our black wristbands to prove we had all our documentation for vaccinations in order...

Part 7 day 1 and 2 at Aulani

I’ll finish up day one (Saturday) and Sunday with bullet points:

-Luau - we were able to see the luau on Saturday night from our deck. It reminded us of having box seats at an event, we bought our own food from ABC and for the most part we got the just of what was going on. I’m not convinced, based on what we saw, that we would have wanted to pay the $$ to see the luau on the ground…

- Next morning i sent DH off for a latte while I made breakfast and watched Moana on my ipad/Disney + (we have yet to be successful in pairing our iPads and the tv in our room despite DH being a tech guy). Took DH 45 minutes to get 1 latte, I guess they system was down and they were doing ordering/payment manually, plus most folks were ordering 6 at a time. Yikes. We may need a new plan! My breakfast sandwiches are, not to be too boastful, so good…I have mastered their creation using just a toaster and a microwave!

- did the lazy river, pool lounging, etc. We seemed like the only people being lazy in the lazy river, kids swimming up and down, kids wrestling and jumping off the walls on the side of the river. Well it’s the weekend, maybe it will settle down during the week? We were able to get 2 poolside loungers with the help of a cast member (don’t hesitate to ask, she was so helpful). The itty bitty adult section (hot tub area) was packed full of adults. Seems folks are using the loungers in that area all day long as a refuge from the kiddos. Bring back the adult pool!

-crowds - I think they are manageable, lots of seating area at the beach as well. The American Idol contestants were doing photo shoots on the water. I have been told the crowds feel low because the film crew are all staying at Aulani and are working all day. Well see when they leave this week.

-American Idol taping - they were doing some sound checks last night as we were watching the sunset. Have seen a number of drones and lots of setups for filming. The luau area has been transformed into another stage…the roadies were a bit loud earlier in the evening in that area, but it calmed down. They have removed some deck chairs in front of Ama Ama for filming so we are looking forward to their return as it is a favourite area of ours. A young couple we were talking to was asked to be paddle boarding behind the main set when the contestants are up. The AI situation is an interesting spectacle, I guess, if you need one at Aulani? I could do without it, personally….

They had some of the property backlit with green and you might be able to see the Idol letters outlined in this photo.

-Roy’s - we went to Roy’s for Aloha Hour on Sunday afternoon. We go to Roy’s every time we come to Aulani. I like to sit out on the deck on the 18th hole and watch the golfers come in. The Aloha menu has changed - not as impressive as it once was. After a root through the Aloha menu, DH ordered a main plate and was expecting a sushi plate. What we got was - frankly- not edible. We offered to pay for it, so we did just that. We really shouldn’t offered to pay for it, but the server should have really taken it off of the bill. Ah the games we play! Anyhow, atmosphere and overall service was pretty good, prices reasonable, good drinks - but we probably won’t be back. Can anyone name this bird that came to visit us?

-sunset - AWESOME!!

Last edited:
Quick note about the DVC member event this morning 8-9 and what was included:
-Moana magnet on entrance
-show with lots of characters (game show-like format)
-nut necklace on exit

It was entertaining….I love watching Chip ‘n Dale create havoc. Not a must-do or anything. DH brought his own coffee so that helped his temperment.

Earlier in our stay we had visited the DVC unit and as DVC members we got 2 lanyards and an Aulani print.

No food or drink provided, fyi. They loaned us a pool towel to sit on ;)

Part 8 Monday at Aulani

Well it’s pouring cats and dogs out there so I thought I would post our Monday Aulani day, in bullet form:
  • Bought floaties from the ABC store and had them inflated for a few dollars there. Note the selection of floaties was better in Waikiki ABC stores. We will have floaties to give away to someone who wants them, at the end of this trip (Saturday)
  • We floated for awhile on the lagoon, it was nice out there. The American Idol set was doing their sound checks. I’ll be happy to see all that hullabaloo leave. My ideal Aulani experience doesn’t jive with the Hollywood scene
  • Headed to our cruise at the marina (23 min walk). As we walked through the lagoons and resorts away from Aulani, it was noticeable how peaceful it all was vs our lagoon
  • We did Mana Cruises, attracted to it because only 6 passengers on the boat + 2 crew. It was a sunset sail 4-6. We absolutely loved it, it is a must do if you can manage the price tag ($600 CDN for the 2 of us). Saw whales too. Crew were awesome and drinks were flowing.
    34926771-cffb-4501-968f-08247fd0cc49-jpeg.647778

• Came back to a very frenetic Aulani after the cruise as the show was in recording. Big crowds. Nuts.

Attachments

• 34926771-CFFB-4501-968F-08247FD0CC49.jpeg
    34926771-CFFB-4501-968F-08247FD0CC49.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 332
PPS - interestingly, today the manager of housekeeping dropped by our room to see how things were going and gave us an Aulani exclusive pin - maybe this is in response to some member complaints about housekeeping frequency? We have been very pleased and have no concerns about the housekeeping piece, but thought you might be interested to see the pin!

Last edited:
As we walked through the lagoons and resorts away from Aulani, it was noticeable how peaceful it all was vs our lagoon

It really is worth walking around and seeing all the options in the area.
I find that "secret" beach feels like it is worlds away from Aulani, yet it is only just a quick walk around the Four Season and through the parking lot.
Don't get me wrong, I really LOVE Aulani (mostly for the lazy river) but it is nice to have other options

It really is worth walking around and seeing all the options in the area.
I find that "secret" beach feels like it is worlds away from Aulani, yet it is only just a quick walk around the Four Season and through the parking lot.
Don't get me wrong, I really LOVE Aulani (mostly for the lazy river) but it is nice to have other options
yes we will be finding the secret beach for sure!

Bought floaties from the ABC store and had them inflated for a few dollars there. Note the selection of floaties was better in Waikiki ABC stores. We will have floaties to give away to someone who wants them, at the end of this trip (Saturday)
We would be more than happy to take you up on your kind offer if still available; however, we don't arrive until Wednesday, February 23rd. If they're not spoken for, perhaps you could check them at luggage storage with my name.

We'll be sure to pay your kindness forward when we leave on March 23rd. Thank you so much for your offer.

If necessary, you can email me at this temporary address: floaties@xp3.me

We would be more than happy to take you up on your kind offer if still available; however, we don't arrive until Wednesday, February 23rd. If they're not spoken for, perhaps you could check them at luggage storage with my name.

We'll be sure to pay your kindness forward when we leave on March 23rd. Thank you so much for your offer.

If necessary, you can email me at this temporary address: floaties@xp3.me
We’ll see what Aulani is willing to do and get back to you!

Reactions: Lew

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter