A call to Tortilla Jo's, and a larger question about DL CMs

donaldsgal

DIS Veteran
Our first-ever trip to Disneyland is coming up in less than 60 days. We've been to WDW nearly 2 dozen times, and the restaurant booking process is pretty different at DL. I have been booking our reservations daily since we're 60 days out because I have been told on many occasions how very busy the time of year that our visit falls in is. I hadn't had any issues until tonight. At 60 days out, I tried to book reservations for Tortilla Jo's online, but it showed no availability. I called Disneyland's Dining number and was transferred directly to Tortilla Jo's by the cast member who answered the phone, who told me that TJ's makes their own reservations. This CM was very pleasant. The person who answered the phone, however, was not. When I asked if I could make a reservation for July 18th, she sounded incredulous. "For JULY?!?!" I was caught off guard and, frankly, embarrassed by her reaction. I answered yes. She then asked for the date, which I had just given, but I gave it again. She asked for my name, desired reservation time, and my phone number. At this point, she said, "Okay," as if to end the call. I asked, "Do I need a confirmation number?" and she said, "You'll get a call the day of." I said thanks, and she said nothing else; this was the end of the call.

I have absolutely zero evidence of this, of course, but it was very much the type of exchange where I imagine she mocked me to her coworkers after the call ended. Perhaps not, and even if she did, okay. I'm an adult and can deal with that. I did feel pretty dumb. I guess I didn't need to call so soon, but with no reservations showing up online and being told it will be busy (though of course also hearing and reading that reservations are available at Disneyland days up to or including the day of), I thought I wouldn't get to eat there unless I called. I guess WDW has trained me to be neurotic. The system there (literally NEEDING to call 180 days in advance at 7 AM EST to get a desired reservation) is certainly rather ridiculous.

I'm posting this here for some reassurance, I guess. Are many CMs at Disneyland like this? I have read on the DIS that DL CMs tend to have less of the "Disney" attitude that WDW counterparts do, and I know it's a job for them, and that the culture there is different, and everyone can have a bad day.... I just would like to know if I should plan for more curt interactions with CMs on our trip so I can have that expectation going in and not be disappointed when I get there.

Thanks!

I don't have any experience as far as reservations, we did those online. As far as in person interactions, we were very lucky on our trip last year and only had awesome CMs. Every single CM we came in contact with was very nice and only added to the magic.

I know that several people have had horrible interactions, but I don't think it's the norm. Sorry you had to deal with rude already.

I don't have any experience as far as reservations, we did those online. As far as in person interactions, we were very lucky on our trip last year and only had awesome CMs. Every single CM we came in contact with was very nice and only added to the magic.

I know that several people have had horrible interactions, but I don't think it's the norm. Sorry you had to deal with rude already.

Thanks for your kind response. :) If this is the worst we have to deal with, we'll be totally fine. I mostly felt stupid and wanted to hear if I should prepare for this or worse to happen more than once on the trip. Glad to hear you had such a wonderful trip! :)

Tortilla Joe's is a separate company....just happens to have this location in DTD. No Disney CMs, they are employees of Tortilla Joe's.

I'm posting this here for some reassurance, I guess. Are many CMs at Disneyland like this? I have read on the DIS that DL CMs tend to have less of the "Disney" attitude that WDW counterparts do, and I know it's a job for them, and that the culture there is different, and everyone can have a bad day.... I just would like to know if I should plan for more curt interactions with CMs on our trip so I can have that expectation going in and not be disappointed when I get there.

Thanks!

Yup - knew that. Disneyland is doing business with them, though, so their actions reflect upon Disneyland, for good or for bad.
They aren't Disney CMs, and aren't trained as Disney CMs, and realistically, they have their own phone number. It probably would have been better if instead of transferring you to a number for Tortilla Jos, they just should have given you a number to call. It would be like expecting the Lego store employee or the Starbuck's employee to behave like a Disney CM.

For the Tortilla Jo employee, they were probably very surprised to have you booking so far out. Even for our party of 15, I rarely book more than a week out.

True.... I suppose it's how you choose to look at it. I don't hold them to "Disney expectations," knowing they aren't Disney.

That's a fair perspective and makes sense. I haven't had these encounters with Rainforest Cafe or T-Rex, for example, who also aren't owned by Disney. Obviously when this happened, I got rattled by the attitude I was received, felt embarrassed, and then got nervous that there was more of this to come. The trip is a big deal for us, and I want to avoid nastiness where I can! :)

They aren't Disney CMs, and aren't trained as Disney CMs, and realistically, they have their own phone number. It probably would have been better if instead of transferring you to a number for Tortilla Jos, they just should have given you a number to call. It would be like expecting the Lego store employee or the Starbuck's employee to behave like a Disney CM.

For the Tortilla Jo employee, they were probably very surprised to have you booking so far out. Even for our party of 15, I rarely book more than a week out.

She sounded surprised, yes - the type of surprise that has the undertones of "are you crazy?!" It sounds like you've been there before and know how far in advance to book. I obviously learned in an embarrassing way that I was calling extremely early. Having never been to DL before, I knew I can book online 60 days in advance, so when I didn't see any online options, I assumed that meant this was a popular place on a busy night, and it's the only night that works for us to eat there. I will live - I just feel dumb and am hoping this is an isolated experience during the trip as I'm sure I'll make other blunders along the way.

She sounded surprised, yes - the type of surprise that has the undertones of "are you crazy?!" It sounds like you've been there before and know how far in advance to book. I obviously learned in an embarrassing way that I was calling extremely early. Having never been to DL before, I knew I can book online 60 days in advance, so when I didn't see any online options, I assumed that meant this was a popular place on a busy night, and it's the only night that works for us to eat there. I will live - I just feel dumb and am hoping this is an isolated experience during the trip as I'm sure I'll make other blunders along the way.
I understand. I think it is why DL regulars repeat you don't have to book like WDW. I have your reverse problem. I fear WDW because I didn't know where I wanted to have dinner tonight, let alone where I might want to eat 6 mos from now!!

If there are questions about DL you want to know, ask! Besides DTD, we also have The Garden Walk. Several great restaurants there, which are a short walk (compared to WDW.) Willing to drive 10 mins? Tons more! Sounds like you will be there about the same time as our july trip!

Please don't feel dumb, there are so many differences between DLR and WDW and booking restaurant reservations is definitely one of them. We are WDW vets going to DLR for the second time in a few weeks and I can remember planning out our first trip (3 years ago) and I did exactly the same thing....I was so used to how I planned out our WDW trips that I thought it was the same way. I got up at the crack of dawn each day once our 60 day mark hit just so I could get the reservations, but in reality I really didn't have to. Fast forward to planning out this trip, I did make reservations every day again (once our 60 day mark hit because that is just who I am), but this time I didn't get up at the crack of dawn, instead I built it into my morning routine and I was able to get everything I wanted for the times I wanted too.

As for the CMs, I think that was an isolated incident and I wouldn't worry about any other CMs having the attitude that the CM over the phone had (of course CMs are allowed to have bad days too). DLR CMs are very magical and you and your family will have a blast. Have a great time...BTW, we have a reservation for Tortilla Jo's on our arrival day and I am soooo excited to eat there, this will be our first time too :good vibes.

1- I'm sorry that made you feel crummy- that sucks. Nobody should be rude when you are making a ressie- period.
2- even with DLR and I don't go in a prime time (busy but not summer/school out prime) I call as soon as I'm allowed to make ressies for everything and I'm not a WDW vet. It's fun, I'm a planner and its part of the experience for me. Nobody was shocked or rude when I made them super early. I also had to call to RFC for a ressie and they were very nice. I also called ahead to the GCH for tour and activity ressies (which is more unusual) and they were very kind and accommodating as well.
Luckily I would say the CMs are usually kind and caring despite a few jerks (I came across one last trip too). You will have a great trip, be glad you have ressies (don't feel stupid for making them ASAP) and enjoy almost all the CMs and guests lol

You are letting yourself make too much of it. To someone who knows how tortilla Joes is a walk-in restaurant most times, it would seem unusual to hear someone want to book 2 months out when they are probably still accepting res for tonight. From your description, it actually didn't sound that rude, just someone who could have been more friendly to let you know reservations aren't that in demand and unaware of your wdw experiences. But many people in food service, especially entry level like greeters and those who answer phones aren't the most mature. But I don't think she thought you were stupid or laughed AT you, just found it out of the ordinary, nothing for you to feel ashamed of. Take it from me, as someone who does embarrassing things and still cringes about them days later, this was not horrible, and your expectations for other people are too optimistic. You are lucky that most actual CMs you will come across will be sugary polite, but I am wondering if you have been lucky enough to not come across really rude people in real life or you are just holding Disney area employees to a higher standard. Easier said than done, but thicker skin and a less inward critical attitude might be helpful. :thumbsup2

Last edited:
I will say this: the restaurants at DtD are like those at a mall. It would be pretty crazy to call up the local Cheesecake Factory and try to book a table for July. The employee who answered the phone may have been new, and may not have dealt with that before. You can make reservations at DISNEY owned restaurants 60 days out. The DtD restaurants technically fall under the same guidelines, but hardly anyone actually makes reservations that far out. It is just how it is here. We are local and never reserve more than a couple days ahead, and that's when we want to go somewhere like Napa Rose on a specific date/time. We usually just do same day ADR using the app. Had lunch at Carnation Cafe last Sunday and made the reservation one HOUR ahead of time.

The OP can contact TJ's again and ask for a manager to explain what happened and how it made her feel. A comment left on the DLR website will be forwarded along, too. The employee at TJ's wasn't a CM, but that doesn't excuse her unprofessional behavior. I doubt she meant to be rude, but it sounds like she was unprofessional just the same.

Tortilla Joe's isn't owned or ran by Disney, and they aren't Disneyland CMs.

lalasmama pointed this out to let you know that that person is not a Disney CM and that no this is not the way DLR CMs behave. I personally have had better CM interactions at DL than WDW. I wouldn't worry about it. Oh, and I have been to DL many times and I made our reservations for our June trip at 60 days out too. We have 5 in our party and I wanted specific times and I didn't want to worry about it. You'll have a great trip! I remember our first trip about 14 years ago. So Magical! So shake off that unpleasant phone call and get back to being excited about your first trip to DL!!!!!

I don't have dinner reservation experience, but I've been to DL several times and just LOVE the atmosphere. THe CMs play a big part in that. I've never had a bad interaction with a CM. I hope this is the worst it gets for your trip!

I am confused by the info given that you cannot book thru the DLR site and have to book directly. The only DTD restaurant that works that way to my knowledge is Rain Forest Cafe.

I have a res for TJ's next month I made thru the DLR website. I have made TJ's reservations like this multiple times.

Out of curiosity I just went to check my reservations for next month and to see if I could book TJ's on July 18 and my reservations will not come up. That has never happened to me before but it sounds like the DLR website is having problems. Maybe that is what is going on. I would suggest trying again later today or tomorrow.

Sorry you had a bad experience with the TJ's person on the phone. As others have said they are not Disney CMs. Even so, when I think of staff I have encountered at TJ's it has always been positive. So I think you had bad luck twice in a row with the inability to book online at TJs and then an unhelpful person directly at TJs.

:wizard:

I will say this: the restaurants at DtD are like those at a mall. It would be pretty crazy to call up the local Cheesecake Factory and try to book a table for July.

Exactly! DTD is also a hangout for some locals that we know. DL will take your reservations 60 days in advance, but the "normal" restaurants there are just not accustomed to booking that far in advance. I wouldn't let one phone call sour your experience on Disneyland. We have had some magical trips there. I think it's all in the perspective: I actually think it's insane to have to decide when and where you want to dine 6 months in advance at WDW. I preferred it when they didn't accept ADRs quite that early. You really can make your reservations at DL later than the 60 days -- in terms of dining it's nothing like WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter