A Bridge Too Far? CFW

Given the suppositions in post 1, would you purchase CFWL as one of your home resorts?

• Yes

Votes: 14 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 166 92.2%

• Total voters
I'm curious based on some reading on the FB groups recently. Many are saying that the cabins have the disadvantages of barking dogs, off the beaten path, proximity to the parks, etc. I'd like to gauge the attitude and/or desire to own there. For purposes of this poll, let's make three assumptions to keep things on an even keel for what we're trying to learn here.

1. The price per point is within your given threshold for purchase. In other words, let's not consider price here relative to resale or any other issue that may inflate it. I'd like to know about just the cabins, for the cabins' sake.

2. Let's assume points are sold using the traditional model we have all become accustomed to for DVC. No trust model on the table for purposes of this poll. Again, the cabins for the cabins' sake, if you will.

3. Other more traditional models are available at the time (ex. Riviera and maybe even the Poly v.2). In other words, you are not being forced to buy into this resort in order to become a member or add on to your contracts.

I'm hoping we can learn things here and that some interesting discussion may unfold as we go along given this is atypical to the kinds of accommodations typically included in the DVC model.
I'm one of the few that voted yes with your #2 being a major factor although I'd probably wait for resale if there will be such a thing with the trust. Unlike others I think the only purpose of the trust at this time is to legally sell shares to the cabins, and think it will function just like the other restricted resorts and not meant to be a new type of product.

As far as the resort itself, just like every other DVC resort you're going to have people that love it and people that hate it, everybody is different. You couldn't give me a week at Grand Flo or The Riv but I'd be more than happy to pay for a week at CFW. Different strokes.

That's a unique perspective.

You could give me a week in the worst room at the worst resort at WDW (which definitely isn't VGF or RIV) and I would jump on it.
LOL, I used to say that all the time until I stayed at one particular value resort. Then I said, "Nope, I'd stay on a park bench first. Sorry for being off-topic, but I couldn't resist when I read that. Back to discussing owning CFW. I plan on going over there next month when I'm at WDW to see what I can see of note. Staying there interests me, owning there doesn't

First time I’m seeing CFWL. What does the L represent?

I would not want to be committed to the Cabins and their resale restrictions while the Poly would allow me to add without them. I do plan on staying there with other existing points but only for a couple days and then a week at a different DVC resort. This will allow me to take advantage of the location for MK for the day and hoop de doo in the evening.

I feel physically uncomfortable around "fancy.":rotfl2:
I feel the same way about value resorts. I actually like the exterior and giant character statues but we stayed at AoA during my partner's first trip and idk.. the room just felt.. sticky, like I was in a kindergarten classroom. After 2 nights there we went to a 1BR in Congress Park at SSR that was gifted to us through my uncle for 8 nights and haven't looked back since :P

stayed there a few times as a kid and loved it. But that was before dogs were allowed. We love dogs, and we have a dog, but we avoid all pet friendly hotels because they do have a smell. Dogs should not be allowed at resorts period! When I see utube videos of Tom morrow with his dog on the bed and sofa I cringe. We do not allow our dog on furniture. So gross. They barely clean dvc units between guests as it is.

Nope and in keeping with your parameters, here are my reasons: Proximity to the parks/transportation, poor amenities--pool and restaurants, (I hate Hoop-de-Doo), Kitchen size, bedroom(?)/bed layout, No washer/dryer (let's be frank, these cabins will cost the equivalent of a 1 bed at Boulder Ridge), and other people's dogs.

We own at Boulder Ridge/Wilderness Lodge(cuz I'm old like that) and I was peeking around at the Copper Creek cabins, they were all empty except one. I think we can agree that these cabins score many more points in almost every category, but still....I was a no for these too due to remoteness. I admit I am a sucker for extremely themed spaces, especially hotel lobbies. Now that Disney is de-theming all their resorts, maybe I'll change my mind with time.

stayed there a few times as a kid and loved it. But that was before dogs were allowed. We love dogs, and we have a dog, but we avoid all pet friendly hotels because they do have a smell. Dogs should not be allowed at resorts period! When I see utube videos of Tom morrow with his dog on the bed and sofa I cringe. We do not allow our dog on furniture. So gross. They barely clean dvc units between guests as it is.
Can't agree more with this comment! I also love my dog, but feel the same.

I voted No but it's honestly a maybe.... I don't think it's a bridge too far. We are a one bedroom family (4 of us but we need a door so dad can sleep in and kids can play on a livingroom floor not just between the beds). I'm really interested in the cabins because I think the points to book are going to be super tempting for families like us... I'm not cooking on vacation and we don't do laundry really but like having space in the room. The 1 bedrooms in the MK area are eye watering points wise and we always end up at boardwalk or AK.

My holdback for these is being stuck with a cabin reservation when I want a studio or 2 bed. Similar to the PVB dilemma but nothing new to the DVC discussion. The trust idea is really appealing if they have other than cabin options

Personally for me the deal breaker was no washer/dryer. I know they weren’t there before but if I’m paying 1BR points, I want a w/d especially if I have dogs and kids with me. Not a fan of the bed adjacent to the master either, would’ve rather had them only sleep 4 than cluttering the master bedroom with the extra bed. Also bus only transportation is another con.

Personally for me the deal breaker was no washer/dryer. I know they weren’t there before but if I’m paying 1BR points, I want a w/d especially if I have dogs and kids with me. Not a fan of the bed adjacent to the master either, would’ve rather had them only sleep 4 than cluttering the master bedroom with the extra bed. Also bus only transportation is another con.
It didn't sound like the points were going to be for a 1BR. Somewhere in between studio and 1BR I thought but no charts yet.

It didn't sound like the points were going to be for a 1BR. Somewhere in between studio and 1BR I thought but no charts yet.
That’s fair, but unless it’s pretty close to the same level of a studio, I’d probably be willing to pay a little more to be closer to a park and have the w/d.

And I honestly considered adding it. The issue is with what I'm trying to learn. I'm trying to learn how salable that property is going to be in its current format. I just don't see the lure personally, and I'm trying to gauge how far off base I am. 'Maybe' doesn't give any information of mathematical value to most polls.
I voted no because I want the option of different sized units. I never heard anything about a trust, that could have been explained in the initial post.

Will I buy there? No
Will I stay there? I would...for me transportation and amenities and situations like that aren't much different than what OKW provides or SSR. Internal bus loops, a lot of walking between buildings depending on where you are at...only negative versus those resorts would be the pool situation at the Fort. Pro would be a boat to Magic Kingdom. Sleeping 5/6 for the points of a projected studio (close to a studio) is a win.

I think these will be popular with families of 5-6 who want to get the most bang for their buck out of their points. I think DVC is targeting this specific family unit and locals with dogs with this property.

If the projections are right based on the math some of the DVC fan mods did, they will average 21 points per night...just as a comparison BRV/CCV studios (comparable location) average 18 points per night...or an SSR standard view (comparable resort design) would average 15 points per night.

I voted no because I want the option of different sized units. I never heard anything about a trust, that could have been explained in the initial post.

I didn't know much about trust when I made the initial post, but I explained it anyway by defining the whole premise being sold as it always has been. Lots of speculation at this point, but I stand by the fact that all we know at this point is what exists today.

Nothing very scientific here and really not enough data to draw any real conclusions. My gut tells me it's probably more salable than I originally believed. I guess time will tell the tale as it always does.

Thanks to everyone who participated. I think a similar poll will be interesting once we know the real conditions of sale, but speculation beyond what we've done here is probably just as futile at this point as some may have believed this one to be.

Thanks again. I think we learned more here than we probably realized.

I voted yes... definitely in the minority! The layout works great for us with just two parents and one kid who can happily sleep on the murphy bed. We only have one resale contract now, so there's also a desire to have direct points sometime to take advantage of some of those perks. We stayed in a cabin a few years back and it was delightful. I like camping but prefer now to not sleep in tents, so this scratches that camping itch.

That said, I have questions about how this will work with the trust, especially how current points and trust points might be combined at 7 months. That would be important because I can see in the future that we might want to upgrade to 2 bedrooms once in a while using both contracts. I assume they'll have to have some process to allow this, but that will be a factor in whether we do this. I'd also love for them to clarify what the plan is with Poly2 at the same time - though I suspect the direct cost per point will be significantly higher there.

I'm not thrilled about the resale restriction and would obviously prefer those not be a factor... but alas, it is what it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter