"A bits of info on the Med Cruises"

DfromCA

Earning My Ears
The following info was listed on the Mousesavers site;

"A few bits of info about these special (Med) itineraries:

Disney will offer optional airfare for these cruises.
An add-on package for Disneyland Paris will be available (pre- or post-cruise).
There will be new food offerings onboard, featuring regional menus based on the Mediterranean destinations.
Shore excursions will be a good mix of family-oriented, relaxing and ambitious/sightseeing - everything from a day at the beach to a day in the museums.
There will be onboard daycare options on port days so that parents can take shore excursions without the kids if they wish.
Disney is aware that many guests on these cruises will be repeat passengers, so there will be a focus on creating new experiences.
Tenders (small boats ferrying passengers from the ship to shore) will be required at the ports of La Spezia and Villafranche. "

DfromCA said:
Disney is aware that many guests on these cruises will be repeat passengers, so there will be a focus on creating new experiences.

This was a BIG challenge on the two-week Panama Canal repositioning cruises.

Woody

DfromCA said:
Tenders (small boats ferrying passengers from the ship to shore) will be required at the ports of La Spezia and Villafranche. "

Never had to use a Tender on Disney, but normally the Tenders are just a couple of the larger lifeboats from the ship.

:thumbsup2
Thanks for the info

Im ony hoping that they have some half day excursions - rather than whole day ones, I couldn't walk around for than long!

tvguy said:
Never had to use a Tender on Disney, but normally the Tenders are just a couple of the larger lifeboats from the ship.

Tenders are not larger lifeboats from the ship, they are small multi passenger boats hired locally to transport you to and from shore.

The tender we used for Grand Cayman was more like a small ferry. It was air conditioned and had small TV's in the front to pass the time. It held about (I'm guessing) 100 people. It may not be the same, but with Disney you know it will be comfortable.

MrsG said:
The tender we used for Grand Cayman was more like a small ferry. It was air conditioned and had small TV's in the front to pass the time. It held about (I'm guessing) 100 people. It may not be the same, but with Disney you know it will be comfortable.

I am absolutely not questioning Disney's comfort goal but I really do hope they've got better training in place for transporting wheelchairies on the tenders....I thought I was going to go overboard when, instead of doing as the CMs directed, the tender captain at returning to the Magic from Cabo, decided to unload all the able-bodied passengers first, which not only created a huge step when the tender, now lighter, rose about a foot, but also turned the sort-of stable vessel into a bobbing cork...Now, try and unload a few passengers on wheels, not strapped down and frustrated at the dangerous situation. Voila', a very bad situation!
:confused3

tvguy said:

In Grand Cayman it was more like a minature ferry boat. Definitely not a lifeboat... :confused3

Here's a photo of one of the tenders the other ships were using in Cozumel. The second photo is of the pier, but you can see the size of the tenders next to the ship in the distance. (Photo's are from mid-Februrary)

f02105db.jpg

f02105f9.jpg

videogal1 said:
I thought I was going to go overboard when, instead of doing as the CMs directed, the tender captain at returning to the Magic from Cabo, decided to unload all the able-bodied passengers first, which not only created a huge step when the tender, now lighter, rose about a foot, but also turned the sort-of stable vessel into a bobbing cork... :confused3

The large swells in Cabo sure did a big number on the tenders when we were there too. The tenders boarded from deck one directly below our cabin on deck 2, and we would periodically see the tender boat bob into view from our porthole. I can only imagine how much scarier it would have been to experience it all on wheels! We'd heard that a DCL child fell out of the tender boat the week before our cruise, and this was one of the reasons we left our kids on the ship the day we went into Cabo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter