• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Big part of the Big Problem... Staffing

Part of the problem is the job pool requires higher pay but they aren’t any better for it.

For example, I own a retail gift shop in a large tourism destination. Three years ago I was paying ~$10/hr for starting employees. Now, I’m paying no less than $15/hr for new hires and some of my longer term employees I’m paying upwards of $17-$18/hr. These new employees I’m paying $15/hr for aren’t better than the ones I was paying $10 just a few years ago. I’m getting no more service or personality or skills out of them yet I still have to pay them 50% more than I was paying just three years ago.

So I’ve hired less than I usually hire with to mitigate costs that way. I’m also quicker to fire and cut them. I have no patience for crappy workers if I’m getting the same level of employee at a higher rate.
This is why forced minimum wage, whether state wide or nationally, just drives prices up. This basic economics is and will always be lost on some.

Last edited:
This is why forced minimum wage, whether state wide or nationally, just drives prices up. This basic economics is and will always be lost on some.

Unwillingness to forgo record profits and growth is what drives the prices up, the cost of the labor is only a product of that concept. If Disney were content with say a billion dollar profit they could easily raise wages and have 0 issues with staffing. Let's not lose sight of the real issue.

Unwillingness to forgo record profits and growth is what drives the prices up, the cost of the labor is only a product of that concept. If Disney were content with say a billion dollar profit they could easily raise wages and have 0 issues with staffing. Let's not lose sight of the real issue.
Whether its Disney, McDonalds or your local restaurant, forced minimum wage increases force price increases. Making $15 an hour for your income is also heavily effected by region. New York verses Kansas. Disney could cut profits and pay employees more for sure! I get your corporate greed point, but all businesses will raise prices or cut staff when forced to increase minimum wages. That's all I am stating. 😊

Whether its Disney, McDonalds or your local restaurant, forced minimum wage increases force price increases. Making $15 an hour for your income is also heavily effected by region. New York verses Kansas. Disney could cut profits and pay employees more for sure! I get your corporate greed point, but all businesses will raise prices or cut staff when forced to increase minimum wages. That's all I am stating. 😊
They're going to raise prices regardless.

It's not just cause I work there but if want to see how companies can work with paying their employees well look at Costco.

All corporations. Not all businesses.

The DW unions include the Teamsters and SEIU. I'm not sure you can call them soft.

You can at WDW. Some of the weakest negotiators I've ever seen. The fact pay was so low for so long says all you need to know about how successful they were.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter