A 25th Anniversary Trip for DLR Newbies! -PTR Starts Now!!!

Ellester

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone! I am SO excited to be venturing down the DIS page to the Disneyland Boards!!! My husband and I are planning a couple's only trip to DL to celebrate our 25th anniversary this coming September. When we were throwing out ideas of places to go, my husband said that Disneyland could be a choice. I about fell over! He does like our family trips to WDW but he has never been the biggest Disney fan in the family. We also thought about a trip to Europe but financially that would not be the best move right now. We tossed a few other ideas around but settled on DL, much to my delight! I have been going to WDW regularly since my first trip in 1973 but have never made it to the original. Years ago, after we were first married, I spent 6 weeks up at Nestle Foods US headquarters in Glendale and he came out to visit for two weeks. We had plans to go to DL for a day but somehow the plans fell through, I think DH was ill. I really don't remember the specifics other than we didn't get to go and he has always felt bad that he caused me to miss my chance! So, now all these years (and kids!) later I finally get my chance!

OK, so the introductions! My name is Ellen and as mentioned above, I am a WDW veteran. My first trip to WDW was in 1973 and there have been many trips since. Our last trip was in January 2015 where we spent 8 nights at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. It was overall a good trip, marred by a nasty stomach bug, some cold weather, and a knee dislocation, but still more pluses than minuses.

My DH is John and we have been together longer than anyone (other than us!) predicted! We were married in September of 1990 and after stints in Atlanta, Iowa, and North Carolina have been settled in Columbus, Georgia for the past 8+ years. We have four kids, Anabelle is 17, Rebecca is 13, Andrew is 11, and Natalie is 6. We homeschool although Anabelle is taking almost all her classes at a local junior college and Rebecca wanted to try public school so she will be starting at a local high school in August.

So, on to the planning! I have a planning addiction and am always the one in charge of our trips. It seems to work best for everyone that way since John is definitely a more spur of the moment guy. The family does appreciate my work though, so that's good! The last trip to WDW I was stuck in the villa with Andrew who came down with a very nasty (and thankfully short lived) stomach virus. I had our daily plans in a Google drive document so John and the girls were able to follow them at Epcot. They said they were confused as to why I had scheduled dinner so late but figured maybe I had messed up until they were seated at the Rose & Crown on the patio and had the perfect spot for Illuminations! See, Mama does know what she's doing! Anyway, I've heard that the planning is much less intense for DL so I will try not to get carried away!

So far we have plane tickets, flying out of Atlanta on Southwest on Saturday, September 19 and home on Saturday, September 26. We are DVC members but since this trip came to be well past the 7 month window, VGC wasn't an option. I currently have reservations at both the Carousel Inn and Suites and the Castle Inn. I am leaning more towards the Castle right now. It is slightly cheaper and has free wi-fi. Any opinions are welcome on either place!

As mentioned, John is not a big planner. He did say that maybe he would like to do something else for a day or two while we are out west but thus far he has not elaborated on what that thing might be. We will most likely rent a car. We don't have a problem driving in LA. I managed just fine when I was out there with Nestle plus we have driven plenty in Atlanta, Chicago, and Miami so I feel we have the necessary highway skills. I am thinking about getting 5 day hoppers. Since we usually have a party of six when we travel, tickets for two seem downright reasonable!

It seems that since the two DLR parks are so close together and hopping is so easy that there really isn't too much planning ahead as to what park to do what day. That is an entire science at WDW! I am looking forward to that part of the vacation as much as anything, no juggling ADR's with park hours and figuring out optimal transportation options! This vacation may actually be relaxing!!!!

Hi! How exciting! My DH and I went to Disneyland for our 20th anniversary. It was a wonderful trip! I always go on tripadvisor even if I know the hotel to see the most recent reviews. The Carousel is now owned by Disney so I'm curious to see the changes there. I have a friend that used to stay at the Castle every trip when her kids were little but as her kids aged so has the hotel. But, I see that it has some pretty good reviews. One of my favorite places to stay is out a bit farther it's called the Ayres Anaheim Inn. It's a family owned hotel chain and they are more of a boutique hotel. They serve free breakfast that's really good.

We will be leaving the day you fly in. I promise that we will leave the parks as we find them.

Yes, I love Trip Advisor! Both hotels have decent reviews in the past few months. The big down side to the Carousel is they apparently charge for Wi-Fi. That may be a deal breaker just on principle! I will take a look at the Ayers, it is so strange to be considering an off-site hotel. So different than planning at WDW!

The whole "Dapper Day" thing is very intriguing! I could never get DH's buy-in though, I can hardly convince him to wear a Mickey shirt when we are on vacation! I have been listening to DIS DL-Podcasts to help familiarize myself with all things DLR. I am so excited!!!!

Yes, I love Trip Advisor! Both hotels have decent reviews in the past few months. The big down side to the Carousel is they apparently charge for Wi-Fi. That may be a deal breaker just on principle! I will take a look at the Ayers, it is so strange to be considering an off-site hotel. So different than planning at WDW!

The whole "Dapper Day" thing is very intriguing! I could never get DH's buy-in though, I can hardly convince him to wear a Mickey shirt when we are on vacation! I have been listening to DIS DL-Podcasts to help familiarize myself with all things DLR. I am so excited!!!!

I'm a fan of free wifi! The thing that's nice about Disneyland is that there are so many hotels that are in the area. The Ayres is #1 on Tripadvisor.

I normally wouldn't want to dress up at Disneyland but it just looks like so much fun! My DH didn't have to buy in thankfully! It's my daughters and I. Our hunt for a hotel was made interesting because they wanted indoor hallways but not to ride ART. Me? I don't mind either. But, as the oldest daughter is paying for the trip I'll let her decide on that.

Almost to the one month mark!! I purchased our MHP tickets for the first party which will be our last night. Seems like a good way to end the trip! I won't be able to convince John to dress up but I will try to plan a little something for myself! Here is our crew at MNSSHP in 2012:

Photo0801FourBySix.jpg

I am leaning towards the Camelot Inn for our hotel stay. It has the best rates out of the reservations I have and it looks like the location can't be beat! We are renting a car so we can stop at the grocery store for water and snacks and breakfasty type foods since there is no free breakfast at the hotel. I also got a reservation for the Fantasmic! Dining Package at Blue Bayou which I am very excited about! I don't think we will be going to the parks the day we get there which means that Sunday, Sept. 26th is probably the only day that F! will be showing while we are in the parks. I am bummed that it looks like Pirates will be down the entire time we are there, but I guess that means I will just have to come back another time!!

I still have a little planning to do, I think we will drive up to Atlanta and stay at a "Stay and Park" hotel near the airport so we don't have to leave our house at 5am to make our 8:45am flight out. I am also researching things to do on the day or two we are not going to be in the parks.

This experience is SO different from planning a trip for 6 or 7 to WDW. That is a major undertaking to say the least with FP+, ADR's at 180 days, crowd calendars, etc! This will be a much more laid back trip and I am SO looking forward to it!!!

I'm really bummed about Pirates myself. It goes down the day we get to Anaheim. I'm going to go in the park that day just to ride it. Hopefully it won't be too crazy busy.

My husband and I are planning a DL trip to celebrate our 25th Anniversary in Dec. 2016 so I'm excited to follow along and get some valuable tips!!

I have to admit that I am getting a little antsy. It just doesn't seem right to be going to a Disney park without a multi-page plan! And being able to call for dining reservations just a few days ahead? That's just crazy talk! Our MHP tickets arrived in the mail on Thursday. I still need to buy our hoppers and I think I am going to spring for the PhotoPass, it is so much cheaper than the one at WDW! Traveling as a couple, I thing the PP will be good so we get some pictures of both of us together.

Jeannie, I will do my best to get a trip report out in a timely fashion!

Almost down to single digits! Boy how time flies! I've made our "Stay/Park/Fly" reservations for the Fairfield Inn near the Atlanta Airport for the night before we fly out. We are about 90 minutes south of Hartsfield but with our early flight and the legendary Atlanta traffic I feel better being near the airport the night before and having a place to park already lined up. I also went ahead and bought our PhotoPass+ and made lunch WOC package reservations at Cathay Circle. The big hitch in the plans is that my in-laws are supposed to be driving down from Atlanta to stay with the kids for the week. My FIL was diagnosed with lymphoma last fall and completed his chemo earlier this year. He has been doing well but has an appointment tomorrow with his gastro guy about scheduling another endoscopy (his cancer presented as a tumor in his stomach) that will most likely be right before our trip. If they find anything, we will have to figure out how that will affect our plans. Obviously we are praying for a clean scope, trip or not. It is really hard watching your parents age. I'm thankful we have all our ours still, but they are all in their 70's now and facing various issues that come with aging. My mother lives near us, but she isn't really a good candidate to watch four kids for a week for a variety of reasons. So, we will have a "wait and see" stance for the next week.

I'm sending pixie dust for a good test result.

wanted to let you know I've been following along and hope you have a great trip. Wishing you best for good news for you FIL

We booked dinner WOC package at Carthay Circle so interested to hear how your lunch package works out for you

Yay, yay, and YAY!!!! We are here! We flew in this morning, arriving at LAX. We are checked in at Hotel Indigo and have alreay walked over to the promendade and exchanged our vouchers that I purchased from ARes for our tickets. Not planning on a park today but we will be raring to go tomorrow! It was a 15 minute walk from the ticket booth back to the hotel, that's about the same time it takes us to walk from our DVC villa to the busstop at WDW some trips! I can see Tower of Terror from our window! So excited! I'm not planning on doing a live report since I can't post pictures from my iPad but I just had to share my excitement!!!!!:love::flower1:pixiedust::yay:pixiedust::flower1::love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter