999 Meals, But There's Room for 1,000 - An April 2016 Dining Report - Complete/New DR Link - 10/16

Another review of a place we are trying for the first time in August, looks like a fun dinner show, excited to try it. We will be at Disney 8/22-8/29 at the GF, got an awesome deal it was magical! Thanks for the great reviews, when will you be there? I would have liked the trip to start around the 29th but I couldn't get vacation that late in August.

Fun! Like you, I haven't been to "the Hoop" since I was a kid. Seeing Casey's pic with the washboard tickled my memory... I think I might have done that. I love that about WDW!

The registration fees are a bit high and the start time maybe too early even for me but anytime you want to walk the race with a thermos, let me know. :) Or maybe we sleep in and meet for brunch!

Starting at 12 and going clockwise we have Key Lime Eggs Benedict, Crispy Bacon (shocker there, but the crispy was a pleasant buffet surprise), Smoked Salmon, Fruit (don't judge), breakfast potatoes, and bacon and cheddar grits. As those who have followed me before know I'm not usually a buffet fan, but this food may have turned my sour buffet heart. Starting with the eggs benedict these were perfectly poached (and major props for doing this on a buffet) and were made all the better by the key lime hollandaise. I'd had something similar at Grand Floridian Cafe last year and this far eclipsed it. The breakfast potatoes were delicious, creamy, and cheesy (aka the potato trinity) and were similar to the ones at Akershus, but even better. Speaking of creamy, cheesy, and delicious the grits were the same. While there wasn't a lot of bacon flavor, they melted this south of the Mason/Dixon but not quite Southern girls heart.
Oh MAN, does that all ever look good!!! And those potatoes... :cloud9: Thanks to your review, I just added breakfast at the Wave to my February 2017 trip!

possibly the princess next year.
You do realize that if ya'll come to Princess next year, we'll be at WDW at the same time, yes?

....While to no ones surprise I did this
Man, that looks awfully familiar for some reason...

This is the Banana Cabana which is Cruzan Mango Rum, Coruba Coconut Rum, Crème de Banana, with Orange and Pineapple Juice and a float of Grenadine . It had lots of rum, plus lots of banana flavor which together equaled a nice little afternoon buzz for me.
Oh! That's why... CHEERS!

20151207_161806-1.jpg

Now food on the table without ordering is my kinda place!!! While the salad was pretty plain and nothing to write home about, the corn bread was super sweet and moist and hit the spot.
Ooooh, I do love me some sweet buttered cornbread... YUM!

Speaking of which they have unlimited adult beverages (beer, wine, and sangria) which you know made this girl very happy.
WHAT!!! I didn't know that! :eek:

This was our first trip to Hoop and we'll definitely be back again someday. It's certainly not an every trip kind of place, but it was a fun and engaging show that pleased everyone from our 5 to 70 year olds. The food is good old classic country fare and while not fancy, its really what you want for the venue. It is pricey (it was over $300 for all of us, tip included) but definitely "worth" it. Sadly only the late show takes tables in wonderland so no discount for us.
Maaaaan, as usual, now you got me wanting to do this! I've pondered it before, but I just don't know how much fun it would be for a solo like me!

Last edited:
Loving the report, loving the pics, and cheering on the little runner! I think I must try the wave and the hoop for sure....

Following along! I came here from your other DR. I love HDD! Its been awhile since I've been, this may need to change. I was at SWDS weekend too! I ran the challenge like your DH. Love your reviews, and all your beverage choices as well. :drinking1

It looks like you had loads of fun at HDDR, we're going in August after not being for years and we can't wait :)

How great that your family have arrived but 2 days of driving :faint: oh my :faint:

Every time I think "Oh, now this person does my FAVORITE trip reports..." I find a new kindred spirit. Needless to say, I'll be watching this thread AND going back and reading your previous TRs. Also glad to see a foodie review of Hoop Dee Doo, as I just booked it yesterday for the upcoming December trip! Did anyone try the sangria by chance? I'm not much a beer drinker, but my DH will be glad to hear there's Yuengling.

ETA: And also, HOWDY NEIGHBOR! I'm reading your first TR and you mention you're Fairfax. I'm over in Loudoun!

Last edited:

If you've never been to hoop everything is served family style so there is no ordering to do except for beverages. Speaking of which they have unlimited adult beverages (beer, wine, and sangria) which you know made this girl very happy. I'd heard all they had in the beer department was Budweiser (and I'm very much a Miller girl), but thankfully they had Yuengling too. So a pitcher (or two or three) to share

So we went to HDD about 10 years ago with parents and some friends. It was a lot of fun. We were right up front so my dad got picked on throughout the show. My DH, however, not wanting to be there, got completely tanked on Sangria and was totally obnoxious. He had never had it before and had a crazy drunk reaction. Which is weird as he's a big guy, and a regular consumer of adult beverages. I thought my mom was going to kill him. Lol My friends still talk about the look of death she was giving him. :furious:
Looking back, it was pretty hilarious.​

Loved Casey's race attire, she left those boys in the dust! A poolside tropical drink would be nice today, too bad I am at work!! :rotfl:

On the flip side, you and I totally need to do a "run" but just walk with thermoses full of adult beverages! We'd totally win that race.
OMG we'd be SO far ahead in that one :tiptoe: And maybe they could make us medals in the shape of big red SOLO cups ::yes::

the corn bread was super sweet and moist and hit the spot.
We did Hoop De Doo a couple years ago and the boys loved it. I filled up on the mashed potatoes and cornbread :cloud9:. Also drank my fill of the

Speaking of which they have unlimited adult beverages (beer, wine, and sangria) which you know made this girl very happy
:thumbsup2
Before it was time for their famous strawberry shortcake dessert
This was delicious but I agree with you about possibly a few more strawberries on there.

As an aside Steve got picked to be the Angel and those pictures are some of the funniest I have of him in all of the 20+ years we've been together :rotfl2: Corny as the show is we, like you, didn't consider it an every-trip thing but I know we'll be back!

:scared1:OMG I can't believe I am so late . . . very happy I saw your sig in another thread you responded to or may have missed my favorite DR family! :goodvibes Congrats to Casey and her triumphant run!!! Serious girl power there:thumbsup2 I am very excited to hear about the remainder of your trip and the drinks :drinking1(my fave) and the food popcorn:: (my fave) and the desserts :cake: (my fave. . . catching a theme? lol).

Those oysters look fantastic, but did you say there was another oyster dish (or scallops, or both?) later in the trip that were better?!:eek: I'm EXCITED:cool1:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for bringing us all along.

Love the Hoop dee Doo report! Everything looks great.....like you, I am a huge fan of good cornbread. now I am trying to think if I could squeeze this in to August's trip..... decisions, decisions!

Finally getting caught back up. Your Wave breakfast looks really goo. I'm a sucker for eggs Benedict but really picky about the poached eggs, they can't be too well done with the yolk, I like 'em to ooze ! And the key lime hollandaise sounds delicious! The bad part is that now I want to add it to my "must do" list!

I'm so glad you had a positive review on Hoop De Do. We have reservation to go there in September. I'm looking forward to the bottomless sangria! :drinking1 We are going to the 8:30 show since that's the one you can use the DP with. I'll be the one trying to eat my weight in fried chicken ::yes::

I'm so glad that you went to and reviewed Hoop! I'm going with my entire fam over Christmas and we'll have quite the mix of ages. This is one of the places I was looking at booking.

Ok, I am back after falling waayyy behind! Congrats to Casey! I love the race pictures! Her outfit is wonderful!

A bit sad DS and I didn't go to Artist Point. It has been a favorite of ours but since he had a date night with his DGF in August we felt that it should be 'their' place. DH and I will probably go in October. Next August DS and will go back with his DGF.

We have never done the Hoop De Doo. After reading your review I told DH we may have to give it a try in October

Looking forward to the rest!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter