9+ months with the Mouse -1 year on the road update

Wow! Sounds great.

Besides DVC, you're hitting some of my favorite places.
I'll be at Sanibel Cottages and Hyatt Coconut Plantation in May.
And at Seawatch and Hyatt Coconut Plantation again in October.

Have a wonderful time.

Not what I would want to do BUT you brought tears to my eyes. The fact that you have found each other again and having the time of your lives.... God bless you and thank you and your son for your service. It's people like you that make this country great.

Ditto! :)

OP, part of my is envious of your lifestyle, and I know I would love being on a permanent vacation, but I also like roots, and I do think I'd still want a "home base" that I could go to the other 3 months of the year. That to me we would be the best of both worlds. Not sure I could afford a house AND 9 timeshares though!:scared:

OP-- thanks for updating us! We recently bought into Wyndham. Do you mind saying where in Wyndham you own and how many points? Do you have to own at Waikiki Beach Walk in order to book so many weeks?

Thanks for sharing your story, I would love to do this for a year but going back to work would be depressing! Enjoy the journey!

To the OP, I hope you can hear my applause from here to there! :lmao:

On top of establishing and keeping up with that travel schedule - managing the odds and end of life have to be almost mind-numbing at some points!

While nearly every financial advisor on the face of the earth would crumble, break out in cold sweats, then hives, and then have to breathe into a paper bag due to hyperventilation..... and spend the rest of their career trying to talk a client out of something like this - you are investing more than money in to what has to last you the rest of your lives on this earth, and that's each other!

My wife and I spend about 4 weeks out of our 'house' each year, we live to vacation, and vacation to live.

My wife have a photo frame in her office at work that looks like a life preserver, and it says "Vacations Preserve Life" - how true.

The mundane of daily life can really get a person down, and when you live 30+ years of the mundane - a year of the extraordinary has to be so refreshing, and such a discovery of self, and rediscovery of what you really hold dear in life.

I'm actually little glad you aren't spending ALLLLLLL that much time at Walt Disney World - I really think spending that much time there, especially in one year, would take away a little of the magic (at least for most people).

When I read your update, I'm glad you are spending time at LOTS of beaches!

I think there is such rich metaphor in what a day at the beach can bring.

I find it nearly impossible to stop my mind from racing when I'm staring out at the open horizon - while seated comfortably in the sand.

It's all about a dream - and I think one of the biggest reasons why Walt Disney himself was such a dreamer was because he expanded his horizons and never let fear stand in his way. Walt had many failures, MANY!
Yet, he got up, learned the lesson, and got right back to business.

OP, I'm so happy that you and your wife and dedicated a full year to one another. Dream big, and take the love that you find and rekindle during this year and store it up to last the rest of your life!

No one guarantees us a long life, a happy life, or a good life - it is up to us to make it matter, hake it happy, and make it good.

Wishing you ALL the best - and most of all, safe travels! :thumbsup2

If not too personal, may I ask what timeshares you own to make this wonderful vacation-life happen?

Not too personal...

DVC 2670 points
--OKW, BCV, VWL, SSR, AKL, BLT, HHI and Aulani
--We rent my sister- in-laws points at BWV
Marriott Barony Beach - Hilton Head Island
HGVC - Seawatch on the Beach at Ft Myers Beach Fl
Hyatt - Coconut Plantation at Bonita Springs Fl
Club Intrawest
--Blue Mountain Canada
--Sandestin FL
--Zihuatanejo, MX - my daughter's favorite - authentic old Mexico
Waterside - Hilton Head Island SC
Bluewater Resort and Marina - HHI
Fiesta Americana Vacation Club
--Los Cabos MX
--Cancun MX
Wyndham
-- Majestic Sun at Destin FL and
--Wyndham Club Access points - 43 home base resorts

IMO - Fiesta Americana Vacation Club is the best. The service and grounds are incredible!!! - that is if you like a beach resort. The room gets serviced twice a day. My wife is in heaven!! Food is great!! Plus you have great exchange possibilities with HGVC

OP-- thanks for updating us! We recently bought into Wyndham. Do you mind saying where in Wyndham you own and how many points? Do you have to own at Waikiki Beach Walk in order to book so many weeks?

At Wyndham I have 1.497 million points with 300K at Majestic Sun in Destin FL and the rest are Club Access points.

I have no problem getting 90% of what I want in Hawaii with Wyndham if I book between 8-9 months out.

My least favorite Wyndham is Bonnet Creek only because at check in you get a massive push to do the timeshare tour thing. I finally started just walking away.

Wyndham Kauai is the best beach I've been to but the worst resort. The room was a total disaster and I came very close to walking out. The only reason I stayed was the view and the almost private beach - beautiful!

I see you are going to be in Sandestin for a good bit of time, I love that area and oh my the great restaurants there and on 30A. :thumbsup2

I've been going to the Back Porch for about 25 years. Fantastic location (right on the beach) and great food. Especially the Florida sunshine cake.

To the OP, I hope you can hear my applause from here to there! :lmao:

On top of establishing and keeping up with that travel schedule - managing the odds and end of life have to be almost mind-numbing at some points!

While nearly every financial advisor on the face of the earth would crumble, break out in cold sweats, then hives, and then have to breathe into a paper bag due to hyperventilation..... and spend the rest of their career trying to talk a client out of something like this - you are investing more than money in to what has to last you the rest of your lives on this earth, and that's each other!

My wife and I spend about 4 weeks out of our 'house' each year, we live to vacation, and vacation to live.

My wife have a photo frame in her office at work that looks like a life preserver, and it says "Vacations Preserve Life" - how true.

The mundane of daily life can really get a person down, and when you live 30+ years of the mundane - a year of the extraordinary has to be so refreshing, and such a discovery of self, and rediscovery of what you really hold dear in life.

I'm actually little glad you aren't spending ALLLLLLL that much time at Walt Disney World - I really think spending that much time there, especially in one year, would take away a little of the magic (at least for most people).

When I read your update, I'm glad you are spending time at LOTS of beaches!

I think there is such rich metaphor in what a day at the beach can bring.

I find it nearly impossible to stop my mind from racing when I'm staring out at the open horizon - while seated comfortably in the sand.

It's all about a dream - and I think one of the biggest reasons why Walt Disney himself was such a dreamer was because he expanded his horizons and never let fear stand in his way. Walt had many failures, MANY!
Yet, he got up, learned the lesson, and got right back to business.

OP, I'm so happy that you and your wife and dedicated a full year to one another. Dream big, and take the love that you find and rekindle during this year and store it up to last the rest of your life!

No one guarantees us a long life, a happy life, or a good life - it is up to us to make it matter, hake it happy, and make it good.

Wishing you ALL the best - and most of all, safe travels! :thumbsup2

We spent about 3 months at Disneyworld. From Jan 10th to April 26th with 3 stays at Sanibel Island, Vero Beach and cruise.

You are right. I really got tired of Disney and would not stay for that long again. For us, about a month is long enough and then we need a little break and change in scenery.

Reference you financial adviser comment - it really wasn't that expensive. I bought all of the timeshares, except for Disney, off of the resale market. Not to sound like a jerk, but I stole most of them. I can walk away from all of the timeshares (except for Disney) after using them for a couple of years without loosing to much. I plan on giving most of them to charity when we are done - not DVC or Fiesta Americana - I'm not that nice.

Again looking at the money. We have been doing this for since the end of May 2012 - about 11 months. Original plan was for 2-3 years, I am now thinking of maybe 5 years. It has been incredible and worth 3 times the amount of money we have spent.

Not too personal...

DVC 2670 points
Club Intrawest
--Blue Mountain Canada
--Sandestin FL
--Los Cabos MX
--Cancun MX
Wyndham

IMO - Fiesta Americana Vacation Club is the best. The service and grounds are incredible!!! - that is if you like a beach resort. The room gets serviced twice a day. My wife is in heaven!! Food is great!! Plus you have great exchange possibilities with HGVC

Thanks so much for providing this information. What an awesome list of timeshares! Impressive...extremely impressive!!!

Good for you! Timing is everything! I hope to buy some more timeshares if and when the price is right. We can't retire for at least 10 years so we have time to do research and wait the right ones! Or we could just move to Orlando and work for Disney. :goodvibes

I've been going to the Back Porch for about 25 years. Fantastic location (right on the beach) and great food. Especially the Florida sunshine cake.

We love Back Porch, we stay on 30A now and love Nick's, Angelina's, Great Southern and Summer Kitchen as our must always visit.

Now that I found my own post I'll try to keep it updated.

First off how we prepared.

Pay off everything!! Save twice as much as you think you need.

We purchased most of our timeshares off of the resale market except for DVC. As we collected the timeshares, I rented out a lot of the weeks because we were still working.

I bought a F-150 and put a cap on top and we can bring about 20 suitcases with us. I also put a rails on top of the cap and put a cargo box on top. That contains all of our beach stuff - chairs, umbrellas, toys, towels, snorkel equipment, etc. We bought new bikes and have a bike rack on the back of the truck

We cut down to only three credit cards and do all banking and credit cards online. All notices, statements are emailed.

All purchases that I can control I end in 00 cents - restaurants gas, etc. I check the credit cards online at least once a week. Anything not ending in 00 I double check.

We both have Kindles and enjoy reading.

I bought a new laptop and everything is on the computer and backup online.

All reservations are filed in Outlook(email) by month. So any month I can look up the reservations for flight, lodging, rental car, restaurant reservation by date.

My adult children and sister in law have a complete schedule. On every new arrival they get a text
AA
SSR
for example - Arrived Alive - Saratoga Springs Resort

We keep in touch with the kids, family via text, phone calls, emails and post cards from the road. The extended family get tired of getting pictures from the beach when they are working

We see the kids (23 and 25) about every two months or so, probably a lot less for my son now that he is in the USAF. Mother-in-law joins us for 2 weeks twice a year, friends about 3-4 times a year. They (friends) love getting an invite to the beach or joining us on a cruise.

We got a commercial mailbox at Pompano Beach FL that forwards mail to us. They scan and email the outside of the envelope and wait for instructions - forward to my current location, open, scan and email a copy or shredded. It has worked very well!

What we miss - NOTHING but my dog - I gave him to a good home when we left Ohio.

What we worry about - quoting a country song - if the tide is going to reach my chair. :beach:

What surprised me - the price of food in grocery stores now that we are not shopping on an Air Force base.

What I would change - nothing major - maybe more points in one timeshare versus another.

What we gained - the best relationship ever with my wife of 35 years.

What I feel like - a 16 year of child on the first day of summer break with a new bike and I just found $200 and got a crush on a girl.

In two days we head to Disneyland for 10 days and then 5 1/2 weeks in Hawaii including 3 weeks at Aulani. I'll update more at the 1 years anniversary ;)

This sounds so great!!

Wait! Are you not coming back to post progress...for a year?? :hourglass

We'll go nuts :crazy2: thinking about you.

I just we'll just assume :beach: blue skies, warm sand between your toes, water lapping on the shore, no worries, and the occassional mouse site-ing.

Seriously...we would appreciate the occassional posting every 3 or 4 months.

Not too personal...

DVC 2670 points
Club Intrawest
--Blue Mountain Canada
--Sandestin FL
--Los Cabos MX
--Cancun MX
Wyndham

Sounds wonderful! I have 2 more questions :)

(1) About your exit strategy--that was my biggest fear buying into Wyndham, that it won't be easy to walk away. I bought into a low (for now) MF resort that might be easier to get rid of than some others. Are there legitimate/reputable charities that will actually take TS? I had always that the hardest part was getting rid of a TS that wasn't DVC, Hyatt, HGVC or Westin.

(2) Fiesta Americana--just curious to know whether you have to pay an AI fee every time you exchange in. I've seen this resort in Cancun, but have never stayed there.

Thanks!

This sounds so great!!

Wait! Are you not coming back to post progress...for a year?? :hourglass

We'll go nuts :crazy2: thinking about you.

I just we'll just assume :beach: blue skies, warm sand between your toes, water lapping on the shore, no worries, and the occassional mouse site-ing.

Seriously...we would appreciate the occassional posting every 3 or 4 months.

Trip report on 1 year anniversary - End of May 2013

Sounds wonderful! I have 2 more questions :)

(1) About your exit strategy--that was my biggest fear buying into Wyndham, that it won't be easy to walk away. I bought into a low (for now) MF resort that might be easier to get rid of than some others. Are there legitimate/reputable charities that will actually take TS? I had always that the hardest part was getting rid of a TS that wasn't DVC, Hyatt, HGVC or Westin.

(2) Fiesta Americana--just curious to know whether you have to pay an AI fee every time you exchange in. I've seen this resort in Cancun, but have never stayed there.

Thanks!

Exit strategy is to borrow from one year out and then sell the timeshares stripped for $1 or charitable donation. I bought most of the timeshares for $1 to $100 so there is no problem walking away - except for DVC, Fiesta Americana and Club Intrawest - my brother wants to buy Club Intrawest when I am done

Fiesta Americana charges $49 dollars to exchange. Their Cancun timeshare is just OK, but the Los Cabo property is 5 star!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter