• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

9/11 Church Event Controversy

Do you feel a 9/11 Celebration for America is ok?

• Yes, celebrate America and our freedom

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • No, it is a day of reflection and remembrance

Votes: 79 87.8%
  • Possibly, without the fireworks it would be acceptable

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Other - please explain

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters
I am surprised that the local government is granting a permit for fireworks and that the police and local fire departments are allowing this and willing to work the event on September 11.

I didn’t look at the article but I definitely don’t think “celebrating” 9/11 is appropriate at all.

Although my son was born 2 years later on 9/11/03 so we do always celebrate that day as his birthday. We’ve never let there be a black cloud so to speak over his day just because it happened to fall on such a horrific date.

Seems like the church is tone deaf to hold such an event on that date. Hard to believe no one spoke up when they were planning this. Would expect religious organizations to be holding 'memorials' if planning any sort of event.

I am surprised that the local government is granting a permit for fireworks and that the police and local fire departments are allowing this and willing to work the event on September 11.
I'm not sure you would want to prohibit permits on the basis of "I don't agree with the event". I don't agree with it but I don't think a permit, should that be needed, should be denied upon the basis of not agreeing with it. If it meets the qualifications for safety, financials, etc then that's that. But it doesn't mean I would think it's appropriate.

Reactions: GAN

I wonder if they would also hold such an event on Pearl Harbor Day.
If it fell on a Sunday and wasn't in Ohio where you generally don't have fireworks in December, probably.

I look at December 7th and September 11th in the same way. A day something bad happened but we pick up and move on.

Our town has a solemn ceremony for the victims that lived here. Last year someone had a wedding reception on 9/11 at a country club the next town over, with fireworks. The local Facebook pages/nextdoor blew up asking who the heck sets off fireworks on 9/11. We are 10 miles from Manhattan, it was a scary, sad, terrible time here, while I loved the 9/11 museum and found it cathartic, it also brought back a little ptsd. It’s nothing to celebrate.

Maybe these people should be in NY and NJ to understand how it feels.
You don't even need to live in NYC or NJ to understand. I understand, I was a flight attendant on 9/11. Airline crew felt it in our gut and hearts too. We were taught to comply with terrorist before this. My job completely changed after this. I still remember the fear of my first flight back. It resonates still.

A slightly different perspective....my family has a personal connection to 9/11 as my mom worked at the World Trade Center at the time and she was in the building when the attacks happened. She is fine now but has strong feelings towards this day as she lost coworkers and friends. I showed her this article and asked what she thought. She said that regardless of what the event is about, she feels that for a lot of people they won't be able to separate that specific day from what happened on 9/11. She thinks that it's an out of touch decision and while you don't need to spend the entire day remembering what happened (or to "celebrate" 9/11 for that matter), having a celebration specifically for America on the anniversary where 3000 people lost their lives seems tone deaf at best.
I think your mom is spot on, it is terribly tone deaf. I had friends too in the WTC, they felt the same way. :hug:

People around here shoot off fireworks whenever they want.
Oh good gravy ... YES! Any given night in the summer, more so weekends now that summer is winding down.

Seems like the church is tone deaf to hold such an event on that date. Hard to believe no one spoke up when they were planning this. Would expect religious organizations to be holding 'memorials' if planning any sort of event.
I don't believe anything this pastor says after hearing him say the controversy may bring a bigger turnout. There's the rub! He wanted more revenue ... on the lives of the fallen. Makes me ill. It is grotesque. He knew. There's no way you are that dumb.

Many churches have "Rally Day" or "Gathering Sunday" or such on the Sunday following Labor Day. That may include picnics or cookouts, etc. My friend's birthday falls on that date, anniversaries, etc. This year my DD starts a soccer program that day. Life goes on, but those kind of things are taking place unrelated to the historical events of that day. I don't understand the "celebration" in relation to the significance of the date, that doesn't sound right. I would attend another happy or celebratory event that day if it was unrelated to the tragedy, but I wouldn't want to attend any "celebration" that intentionally connects itself with 9-11.

Many churches have "Rally Day" or "Gathering Sunday" or such on the Sunday following Labor Day. That may include picnics or cookouts, etc. My friend's birthday falls on that date, anniversaries, etc. This year my DD starts a soccer program that day. Life goes on, but those kind of things are taking place unrelated to the historical events of that day. I don't understand the "celebration" in relation to the significance of the date, that doesn't sound right. I would attend another happy or celebratory event that day if it was unrelated to the tragedy, but I wouldn't want to attend any "celebration" that intentionally connects itself with 9-11.
I’m wondering if they wanted to schedule this event but realized the best day for their calendar fell on sept 11. Then to make it seem ok to have it that day, they called it a celebration. Sounds like it backfired.

SEPTEMBER 11th my American Flag will wave. I will reflect on the horrific events and I may even watch some of the documentaries-AGAIN. WHY? Because I never want to forget. ALSO, I will be reminded how we, as Americans spent those days coming together and being kind and empathetic. We just didn't know it would be one of the last times. I can't imagine having a "celebration" commemerating the day.

Well, I'm not sure those behind Memorial Day would think picnics and boating are a good way to observe that day.
But lets face it, September 11th was a generation ago. Before a lot of adults were born. While it was the biggest news story of my career, for a lot of folks, it's ancient history.

If you can have fireworks and parades and celebrations on Memorial Day you can have them on 9/11. Both are solumn days yet I've never heard criticism from anyone about the former being essentially a summer celebration for a large amount of people.

You'll see the occasional "remember what the day represents" before they put in their flip flops and start up the grill but it isn't a day full of sadness and reflection for most of the country, especially if you aren't connected at all to the military.
I hope that Oklahoma doesn't start having fireworks on April 19.
I'm not sure you would want to prohibit permits on the basis of "I don't agree with the event". I don't agree with it but I don't think a permit, should that be needed, should be denied upon the basis of not agreeing with it. If it meets the qualifications for safety, financials, etc then that's that. But it doesn't mean I would think it's appropriate.

Good point, the weekend after Labor Day is big for local church fairs, soccer and football games, even the kickoff to the NFL. Maybe the preacher could change it to a HARVEST MOON celebration with fireworks and family fun. The Full Moon happens to be that weekend. Whenever I drive through Ohio, there are plenty of farms. Maybe Neil Young would show up.

Like pretty much everything else, I'm torn on this. (I would make a horrible judge!)

I can very much see the point of keeping things somber, but I also remember how much everyone rallied together after 9/11 - the flags everywhere...that sort of thing. So I can understand wanting to acknowledge that part as well. (Like I said, I'm great as a mediator, no good as a decision-maker. :rotfl: )

If I were on that church's council (or board, or whatever they have) and that was simply the only logical weekend to hold an event, I think I would have just voted to call it a "harvest festival" and let folks make of it what they wanted.

As for the fireworks permit, we're in a nasty drought here. Are they? I would think that might be a reason to deny it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter