8th Annual Christmas Thead

LilyWDW

Going to My Happy Place
Hey all! Due to requests from members on the 7th Annual Thread and the fact that DisneyMommy3 has not logged on in quite awhile, I am starting the 8th Annual Thread!

Remember to please be respectful to everyone as many people have different beliefs and ways to celebrate the holidays. So no tangents!

We also discuss the fun of the holiday season as a whole, including Thanksgiving. We can discuss everything! From food, to shopping, to decorating, to gift ideas, and even how to handle all those fun family issues.

So lets get started this year!

22 Weeks or 156 Days until Christmas!!!

Awesome! I'm hoping to have Christmas done by November 1. We're due with our Christmas baby December 29th!

I'm actually trying to get gifts figured out for everyone already so that I can buy a bit each month. I had to dig into my savings last month due to car issues and a very sick cat. In one month I spent about $2k for the two issues. So needless to say my budget it TIGHT right now.

Who I need to buy for and anything I have figured out already:
Dad
Aunt #1
Uncle #1
Grandmother
Cousin #1
Cousin #1's husband: Got him a pair of tactical work gloves that are reinforced since he is often sticking his hands in narrow places for work lol
Nephew #1 (2.5): Magazine subscription plus a couple toys/books
Nephew #2 (4.5): Magazine subscription plus a couple toys/books
Cousin #2
Nephew #3 (7)
Niece #1 (9)
Nephew #4 (10)
Niece #2 (12): Most likely a cookbook and some cute cooking supplies as she is really into learning how to cook and bake
Nephew #5 (13)
Aunt #2: Ornament and something from Harry and David or similar
Uncle #2: Will share the item from Harry and David or similar
Friend and her family: Something from Harry and David or similar plus something special for my friend

Still a lot of work to do!

Wooohoooo!! We have 3 kiddos to share Christmas with this year!! Our youngest was born in January and will be getting ready to turn 1 around Christmas time!!

I am just so excited for our "big" family Christmas!!!

YAY! DH thinks I'm crazy for planning for Christmas and Thanksgiving already but that's how it's not so hectic at the end of the year. In fact, last year's Christmas letter was a poem about the benefits of early prep. I know Christmas should be mellow this year. Just my parents here, versus last year with DH's parents, brother, wife, kid, sister, husband, kid and the flu plus underlying family drama. So even though my parents are very different, kind of looking forward to a more mellow time. As for gifts, I have a few things stashed but nothing huge. I am going to get started on making conversation jars for most of the family and possibly another round of a love jar (how my MIL got her note that DD loves how MIL is good at "raping" presents -- yeah, that went in the baby book!). This thread reminds me to do an inventory of my gift closet to see if I have some stuff I can get rid of.

Thanksgiving -- holding my breath. I am kind of hoping for a nice quiet family holiday. Last time I did that I ended up with another family invasion, so I'm not planning anything.

I've already got a few things on my list for a few people (I use the Santa's Bag app on my phone). DD's gift pile will be heavy with dance things. She made the company/comp team this year and is required to have some expensive items and then 3 weeks after Cmas, we have a dance convention to attend out of town that is not cheap. She's OK with it all though (thankfully).

Monogrammed and Simply Southern items are the hot thing around here these days, so I have a few things on my list for she and my nieces.

I am seriously considering having a convo with my MIL about NOT exchanging gifts anymore. We've seen them twice since Cmas last year (we live 45 minutes apart) and obviously are not close (always drama and DH just chooses to stay away and out of it). I'm not in the mood anymore to fake smile/happy through the holidays anymore.

Can't wait to see everyone's list.

Thanks for getting us started LilyWDW!

I have one gift so far, a lego set I found on clearance. I'm on the hunt for deals.

I'm in!

I've got a tween turning teen boy this year. His birthday is 5 weeks before Christmas. Then the next week is thanksgiving and then all the Christmas stuff. No idea what to get him for either occasion. I'm hoping he develops a few new interests so I can get him experiences or stuff not related to video games.

I moved into an apartment last year so I downsized some of my decorations. I'm hoping to find some that are more apartment friendly this year, i.e. no holes in my wall. I want to go kinda crazy the next few years and really show my son that being just the two of us is great at the holidays. Last year I was depressed over the breakup we didn't do any of our traditions. He leaves for college in 6 short years!

I've got a small group to buy for;
Mom (probably just give cash) she is always asking for money
Dad-no idea
Dads GF-restaurant gift cards
Sister-not a clue
Brother in Law (maybe)-not a clue and he may not be around much longer
Uncle-restaurant gift card and family picture in a frame
Aunt & Uncle-not a clue
Cousin-Christmas Ale and cookies plus a neck massage during gift openings

3 work friends, 6 work acquaintances plus 2 bosses. I also bake cookies for a huge number of people and hand out bags the Monday before Christmas. I need ideas for my work friends! Last year I did wine glasses, wine, and a pedicure mason jar. Everything went into the mason jar and I tied it with a pretty ribbon.

I bake a ton at Christmas. I start at Thanksgiving and don't stop until Christmas Eve. I normally love doing this but I'm kind of dreading it this year. I hope that changes!

I bake a ton at Christmas. I start at Thanksgiving and don't stop until Christmas Eve. I normally love doing this but I'm kind of dreading it this year. I hope that changes!

As we get closer you will HAVE to share what you are going to make! I am always looking for new ideas for baking for the holidays. Hopefully my cousin and I will have more time this year to do it together.

I'm here! Planning on a less gift-intensive Christmas this year, but hoping to pick some good ones so people are pleased. Quality not quantity...unless there are some things that just need to be bought ;)

Maria :upsidedow

Hi!!! i'm on board again DD10 would love some monogrammed things so will be on the look out for those, aside from that have no clue.

Amazon's Prime Day was a bust for most people, but I bought our son a Kindle Fire for $79 for his Santa gift. I'm pretty excited about that! He will be 4 and I've had multiple moms tell me to skip the LeapFrog/LeapPad and just get a tablet.

From us he's getting a couple of big Thomas the Train track sets. We bought a bunch of them used from a friend of my SIL's. Again, son will be 4 and won't care. They are in great shape and he's been obsessed with trains for 2 years now. I also have 3-4 Chuggington and Thimas trains I've picked up on clearance and sales. Plus a giant Jake & the Neverland Pirates coloring book (clearance), 'Dinosaur Train' and 'Big Hero 6' DVDs (from sales) and crayons (sales). A new pair of PJs and a couple of books and he's done.

Getting DH a weather radio. We don't spend much on each other, we prefer to use the money for family vacations.

Nephew (6) is done. Avengers shirt, Connect Four game and a giant coloring book. All bought on sale.

Niece (2) is done I think. Got her a Sofia game, coloring book and something else I can't remember at the moment all on sale.

My side of the family contributes money for a local charity. I have the money set aside for that already. This year it's buying coats that are distributed by a local business to those in need.

DH's side of the family- we draw names (adults) and have a $50 max. We haven't drawn the names yet. I need to get them to do it soon!

Nephew (12)- no clue
Niece (9) - no clue

My side also does stockings and we all buy something for everyone's stocking. i already bought stuff for the adults, but can't remember what that is either! Kids are getting $10 iTunes gift cards.

I'm in really good shape, woo hoo!!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
As we get closer you will HAVE to share what you are going to make! I am always looking for new ideas for baking for the holidays. Hopefully my cousin and I will have more time this year to do it together.

I'm not sure what I am going to bake this year. Last year I made chocolate chip, peanut butter, and chocolate with peanut butter chips, "Christmas crack", and white chocolate popcorn. I posted some pictures I took last year. Let me know if you want recipes for anything!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 18
Hi!! I'm in!!

We have 2 boys ages 6 and almost 8. This year their big gifts from us will be our trip to Disney in January. We will be giving them new pins, shirts their magic bands and other fun stuff to go with the trip. I haven't started to pick things up yet but I plan on hitting up the Disney store soon for some stuff.

I need to get gifts for DH, the boys Santa's gifts and gifts for my parents, his parents and nephew.

I hope I can find some clearance toys and lego's for the boys. Dh loves movies so I will be on the lookout for some good movie sales.

Hi!! I'm in!!

We have 2 boys ages 6 and almost 8. This year their big gifts from us will be our trip to Disney in January. We will be giving them new pins, shirts their magic bands and other fun stuff to go with the trip. I haven't started to pick things up yet but I plan on hitting up the Disney store soon for some stuff.

I need to get gifts for DH, the boys Santa's gifts and gifts for my parents, his parents and nephew.

I hope I can find some clearance toys and lego's for the boys. Dh loves movies so I will be on the lookout for some good movie sales.

I got an email from the Disney Store this morning. They currently have a sale on kids t-shirts, $8 each, if you plan to buy any!!

I've gotten a few ideas for DD. She'll be 2.5 when Christmas rolls around. She's recently really gotten into baby dolls, so I'm thinking about a Bitty Baby from American Girl. Do you all think that's appropriate for a 2 year old? I've also thought about getting her a doll stroller so she can take "care" of her baby while I care for our new baby.

I'm also thinking about a play kitchen for the basement too.

For DH, I have no clue! We're going on our 5th anniversary trip in October 2016 so that'll be our "gift" this year. Probably some odds and ends.

View attachment 111647 View attachment 111755 View attachment 111647 View attachment 111756 View attachment 111756

I'm not sure what I am going to bake this year. Last year I made chocolate chip, peanut butter, and chocolate with peanut butter chips, "Christmas crack", and white chocolate popcorn. I posted some pictures I took last year. Let me know if you want recipes for anything!

Last year my HIT baked goods were

Mint oreo bark
Andes chocolate cookies
Peanut butter bark
M&M cookies
Reindeer noses (gingerbread cookies with a peppermint kiss smushed in the middle....just like the peanut butter ones)

I've given up on sugar cookies and just buy the pillsbury precut ones for DD to make on Cmas Eve and make my own icing for those. I have yet to find a recipe that tastes good and actually works for cut outs :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter