$800 quote for wheelchair acc. shuttle?

Elfinbaby

Earning My Ears
My family and I are flying into SNA, family of six, one in a wheelchair. We need a shuttle with a lift.

I called Super Shuttle and the guy didn't seem to understand that I needed a lift not a carseat. Then I think he accidentally disconnected us. I haven't called back because there was a long hold period. I'll call back soon.

Roadrunner shuttle quoted me $800+ to go from SNA to DL. That seems really absurd but he assured me that was an accurate quote.Something about it had to be a private van bc they don't offer shared vans at that airport.

So what now? Anyone with a good rec? I know there are lots of other places but not all of them offer wheelchair acc vans.

My family and I are flying into SNA, family of six, one in a wheelchair. We need a shuttle with a lift.

I called Super Shuttle and the guy didn't seem to understand that I needed a lift not a carseat. Then I think he accidentally disconnected us. I haven't called back because there was a long hold period. I'll call back soon.

Roadrunner shuttle quoted me $800+ to go from SNA to DL. That seems really absurd but he assured me that was an accurate quote.Something about it had to be a private van bc they don't offer shared vans at that airport.

So what now? Anyone with a good rec? I know there are lots of other places but not all of them offer wheelchair acc vans.
When I fly into SNA I always get a Yellow Cab to DLR. Flat rate for me has been around $45 one way. It takes about 25 minutes or so depending on traffic.
It looks like they'll take care of you too!
Here's a link to their site. I hope this helps save over the $800 quote
http://www.yellowcab.com/number-1-choice-taxi-service
http://www.yellowcab.com/number-1-choice-taxi-service

2017-09-09 01.JPG

That sounds like a lot, but I have no experience. Maybe the airport can give you some ideas?

It sounds like Super Shuttle is going to another company for your service. You best bet is to find that other company and deal direclty with them.

It sounds like Super Shuttle is going to another company for your service. You best bet is to find that other company and deal direclty with them.

I read it as he didn't understand and then they were disconnected. She then called another company because of the hold time.

Just in case anybody searches for a similar issue - Super Shuttle is $47, holds 4 passengers and you can make reservations. Yellow Cab is $40, no reservations required, a wheelchair van should be available at the airport. If not, one will be called and is a few miles away. Taxi reservations are required to go from hotel to airport.

So we will probably do a cab. I will try to come back and update.

Just in case anybody searches for a similar issue - Super Shuttle is $47, holds 4 passengers and you can make reservations. Yellow Cab is $40, no reservations required, a wheelchair van should be available at the airport. If not, one will be called and is a few miles away. Taxi reservations are required to go from hotel to airport.

So we will probably do a cab. I will try to come back and update.
Yellow cab's website might have some type of coupon or sign-up discount. They did a couple of years ago.
I have always been pleased with Yellow Cab.

Glad you found something that will work.

We just got back. I'm hoping to do a trip report later this week to share my experience navigating DL as a first timer with a wheelchair (wheelchair is old hat, DL is new:)).

So the yellow taxi did not work out well. We arrived and went to the taxi stand. We are a family of 6 and require two vehicles. Wheelchair vans only carry up to 4. We split up. There were no wheelchair vans available and none close by, which is not the information I was given when I called the company prior to our trip. I was told that vans are available and, if not, they are only a few miles away. The taxi handler at the airport said none were close by so he'd call someone he knew. One finally arrived. I know my husband waited 30-40 minutes. It's possible it could have been more. I lost track.

Trip to the airport, of course, was much easier because you book ahead of time.

Next time, I will schedule a van - maybe Super Shuttle. I prefer to rent a van for ourselves, but, at approximately $100/day rental fee, that's just not doable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter