8/4/09-8/12/09 - Peru - Sacred Valleys & Incan Cities

eeyorelvr10

<font color=darkorchid>Vanquished the itty, bitty
Alright - so I'm early but anyone else in for this Dream Vacation of a Lifetime?

Here's the stats on us:

Laura (43 at the time)
Steve (43 at the time also but going VERY RELUCTANTLY)

Anyone else?

I am so excited. :woohoo: :yay: :banana: I've already started researching although I know that ABD will take care of just about everything for us. Why I just spent $30 on Peru Travel books is beyond me. Oh well, it will keep me out DH's hair and otherwise occupied.

Anyone else?

OK so as of today, Monday, November 3, 2008, we are booked on the pre-night. Figured for the amount of the room - its cheaper per person than a Vegas Hotel room! :rotfl: Plus it includes transporation to and from. No post trip add-ons available per the hotel not ABD but at least I'm coming in early.

Waiting on a call back from ABD flight team as they only had one person working today. Will post when I get some info. Right now I am pricing flights on our own at about $880 RT for non-stop and aobut $768 RT with one stop - 2 or more is about $668. Check-in at hotel is after 1 pm and the earliest arrival I can see for us would be 2 pm and airport is about 35 minutes away according to ABD so we shall see what they come up with.

Still waiting.....No one else? I was told this adventure is about 23% filled. :confused3

Laura,

It sometimes takes awhile for people to post on this board! It's not like our cruise meets thread! :rotfl2:

You are going to have a wonderful time!!!

Reading your post here answers one of my questions from the other thread. :)

I think that you will find the ABD's to be a fantastic value! The quality of service is wonderful!

:wave2: Stephanie!

I figured I might not get anyone here until at least June next year but being the eager beaver I am, I had to start something. Besides, I'm thinking of this as a sort of online blog - at least for a while. I can look back after the fact and chart my journey.

So tonight I filled out our paperwork and it looks like we will be booking our own flights. I got a call from Carlos at ABD. He tried to book us on a nonstop from LAX to LIM for about $1730 or something like that. Not bad but the bad part about it was that the adventure ends on 8/12 (actually farewell dinner is 8/11). Seems we can leave that night since most flights depart around 2 am but heck, why hurry when the room is already paid for. I think I will sleep in and then check out the following morning around 10. Carlos however, wanted to book us out on a flight at 2 or 3 am the morning of the 13th! :scared1: And the latest they would take anyone to the airport would be 6 pm. That means since checkout is around 10 or 11, we'd be left waiting for hours at the airport unnecessarily. If we chose to stay at the hotel, we'd have to contact the hotel directly and pay for a night and not use it all. I think not. Then if we did that -we'd have to find our own way to the airport. I don't mind waiting 3-4 hrs but more like 10? YIKES!

So that's my dilemna right now. Have to figure out if we will skip the night of the 11th and fly straight out or just go and waste time at the airport the night of the 12th/morning of the 13th.

I'm sure once we fly in and I get a chance to look at the airport, I might get adventurous and see if I can drop our luggage off early and go exploring. Yeah right - I think those days are long gone. Course by then, I might be willing to just stay at the airport. OH that reminds me - I'm going to ask a question on another thread.

Later anyone!

: Have to figure out if we will skip the night of the 11th and fly straight out or just go and waste time at the airport the night of the 12th/morning of the 13th.

You can NOT skip the last night!!!!!!! :eek: It really is special!!!

When I did the Spirit of America ABD I think I started posting 10 or 11 months before hand. I only *met* one other person on the boards that was on that ABD. BUT, we're still friends with them!!! :yay: And they came out to visit us this past May. :)

Just bumping up so I don't lose it in the back pages. Anyone else? popcorn::

Hi, eeyorlvr10 :wave2: We did this trip last year. The way the flights out work, you are really better off going ahead and leaving the last day. They make the flights back to the US redeye flights, and there just aren't that many of them.

The "dinner" is actually lunch, and there is nothing to do after that anyway. We let DD swim for a little bit, then had a nice dinner in the hotel restaurant with a few other ABDers, then took showers and got our luggage organized. Our flight out was at midnight, so they got us to the airport around 10. It worked great and we were ready to go to sleep by the time we got on the plane.

If you stay another day, you will be on your own in Lima, but it sounds like you will be doing that on the way in. Of course, if you have plenty of days to travel, you'd probably have fun, but after being treated like a Princess for a week, it would have been very hard for me to tour on my own that last day!

Hi, eeyorlvr10 :wave2: We did this trip last year. The way the flights out work, you are really better off going ahead and leaving the last day. They make the flights back to the US redeye flights, and there just aren't that many of them.

The "dinner" is actually lunch, and there is nothing to do after that anyway. We let DD swim for a little bit, then had a nice dinner in the hotel restaurant with a few other ABDers, then took showers and got our luggage organized. Our flight out was at midnight, so they got us to the airport around 10. It worked great and we were ready to go to sleep by the time we got on the plane.

If you stay another day, you will be on your own in Lima, but it sounds like you will be doing that on the way in. Of course, if you have plenty of days to travel, you'd probably have fun, but after being treated like a Princess for a week, it would have been very hard for me to tour on my own that last day!

OK - that makes me feel so much better. I think I will go ahead and do your suggestion. Although, the thought of a day on our own. :scratchin Nope - better off going with a huge crowd. LOL - thanks for you help. Greatly appreciated.

I'm mulling Peru 8/4/09 or Costa Rica 8/8/09. We've never been on an ABD trip before. I'd be going with my husband 44 and boy - 15, girl - 13, and girl - 9. I'll be 42 by then.

I'm mulling Peru 8/4/09 or Costa Rica 8/8/09. We've never been on an ABD trip before. I'd be going with my husband 44 and boy - 15, girl - 13, and girl - 9. I'll be 42 by then.

Hey there! :wave2:

Welcome aboard. This trip may be me, Laura (43), Steve (DH - 43) and maybe my MIL - Janet. She hasn't decided yet. But she has endeavored to take on traveling. I hope you do decide to come. I hope that the trip isn't cancelled.

My kids wanted to come at first but we decided the plane fare would take up too much $$ and I have some cruises to pay for next year so we are attempting to save :-)lmao:) some $$$ by only being us this trip. Besides, this is my dream, not theirs! Hope to meet you in August!

OK - so being offline for SEVERAL months, I thought I would pop in and see if I was going to Peru with any other DISsers but guess DH and I will just have to make friends with those on the trip.

I haven't decided if I'm going to blog. Frankly, I can't be sure I remember how to blog. And where I went the last times. :lmao: If I decide to blog - I'll post a link on here. Though, be warned, I have a habit of dropping off the face of the earth.

So here I am on Saturday night, not packed yet but ready to go with mixed feelings. You know something? :scratchin I think I am a bit :crazy:

Anyways, just deciding to bump up a bit.

Much to enjoy - Great trip.

We deviated from the script a bit and here are some of our off-script suggestions(you can sleep when you get back). My all means, while at Sol y Luna, arrange for an early morning or late afternoon (during the free time) horseback ride. The horses are a different breed from what we have - and it's a great way to see the village, get close to the mountains, etc. The horse guides are really good and we had a blast. Our disney guide commented that virtually no Disney folks seem to take advantage of this part of the Lodge...

While in Cusco - go out at night! The museums are often open until 10 pm. We had our own "night at the museum" as we were the only ones there about 9 pm one night. It was a magical time - the museum was on the site of an old Inca temple, all dark, and as you walk into a room it triggers the lights. Great stuff, great museums.

Also in Cusco if your ladies like to shop, don't miss the market - it's not too far of a walk. The bargaining and shopping was a good time.

(In a group) walk the city - it is fantastic.

In Lima your first night there is a restaurant (Alihandra can direct you) about seven blocks from the hotel - open very late - a "Peruvian Chinese/Japanese" local restaurant. I think this is where the ten pound weight gain began. Wow! Go explore. We mailed postcards, etc. from shops near the hotel.

Our only glitch in Lima was Disney's ground transportation. They took us to the wrong hotel and dropped us off and were gone before we realized the mistake. DO NOT let them drop you until you confirm you are where you are supposed to be. This was quite unsettling - and we did not have a telephone to call the "emergency number." As it was long distance, the wrong hotel also would not let us call. However, they were gracious, tracked down the correct hotel and we took an (expensive) long cab ride.

At Machu Picchu eat your lunch quick - and go to the guardhouse and hike the trail to the gates - and more if you can. This was the most "spritual" part of the trip. Machu Picchu is inspiring, but this will absolutely take what little breath you have away. Our friends also hiked the mountain ACROSS from Machu Picchu so they could look back at the site - but we didn't have time.

At Sol y Luna, ask for more with the Pisco sours - they will accommodate!

In Lima, ask your guides to arrange an additional tour for you (a bit expensive, but worth it) to go see the inside of the churches, etc. Don't miss the well of souls - thousands of skulls in the catacombs which fill a giant well. See the "Lama hat" statute - I won't spoil the story for you.

For whitewater rafting, bring a waterproof camera. Make sure you have dry clothes too. We came off the water and had quite a way to go to get back to the bus, as it couldn't come to our pick up point. Kinda difficult time (and not what was on the agenda).

When flying Peruair to and from Cusco, carry snacks. We were the May trip. Our flights both ways were cancelled, calling for extended delays in the airport. Hours! Our final end of trip departure lunch wasn't until late dinner (by which time the dancers, etc. were long gone). Bring your camera - wow to the house! Do not underestimate the flexibility and resourcefulness of Disney during these events. We were there during the "strike" where farmers blocked off roads, filled them with stumps, etc. making transport almost impossible. Disney re-routed and replanned things. We missed a few moments but it was all in fun and adventure. It certainly make me appreciate international travel with a group where they were back office solving the new challenges each day. Our group had a great time, and these added to the stories for the trip. Pachama dinner at 10 pm was a bit of a challenge, but at least they kept the food for us.

If you haven't gotten the Rx for altitude sickness, do so. We ended up sharing our meds on the trip - seldom needed them but boy do you feel it. I panted like a dog climbing up and down the circles of Moray - and make sure you walk it - don't just look - go experience the temperature change as you walk it.

Many surprises - the most hospitable people and incredible trip you will ever take. Make the most of it and enjoy.

Acetazolamide (Diamox). It works well with limited side effects and seems to actually reduce the altitude sickness symptoms. Inexpensive and easily available with a prescription.

Hi Guys just popping in to make use of the free wi-fi at the hotel. Also, since I can´`t seem to remember my blog - had tocome look at my signature line.

Got to peru last night (I`m typing on a different keyboard than North America and I have tohunt down some of the different items. Anyway, its nice and cool and grey. Not bad but you may want to bring a windbreaker. Steve loves it even went shopping with me today.

Later folks!

Much to enjoy - Great trip.

We deviated from the script a bit and here are some of our off-script suggestions(you can sleep when you get back). My all means, while at Sol y Luna, arrange for an early morning or late afternoon (during the free time) horseback ride. The horses are a different breed from what we have - and it's a great way to see the village, get close to the mountains, etc. The horse guides are really good and we had a blast. Our disney guide commented that virtually no Disney folks seem to take advantage of this part of the Lodge...

While in Cusco - go out at night! The museums are often open until 10 pm. We had our own "night at the museum" as we were the only ones there about 9 pm one night. It was a magical time - the museum was on the site of an old Inca temple, all dark, and as you walk into a room it triggers the lights. Great stuff, great museums.

Also in Cusco if your ladies like to shop, don't miss the market - it's not too far of a walk. The bargaining and shopping was a good time.

(In a group) walk the city - it is fantastic.

In Lima your first night there is a restaurant (Alihandra can direct you) about seven blocks from the hotel - open very late - a "Peruvian Chinese/Japanese" local restaurant. I think this is where the ten pound weight gain began. Wow! Go explore. We mailed postcards, etc. from shops near the hotel.

Our only glitch in Lima was Disney's ground transportation. They took us to the wrong hotel and dropped us off and were gone before we realized the mistake. DO NOT let them drop you until you confirm you are where you are supposed to be. This was quite unsettling - and we did not have a telephone to call the "emergency number." As it was long distance, the wrong hotel also would not let us call. However, they were gracious, tracked down the correct hotel and we took an (expensive) long cab ride.

At Machu Picchu eat your lunch quick - and go to the guardhouse and hike the trail to the gates - and more if you can. This was the most "spritual" part of the trip. Machu Picchu is inspiring, but this will absolutely take what little breath you have away. Our friends also hiked the mountain ACROSS from Machu Picchu so they could look back at the site - but we didn't have time.

At Sol y Luna, ask for more with the Pisco sours - they will accommodate!

In Lima, ask your guides to arrange an additional tour for you (a bit expensive, but worth it) to go see the inside of the churches, etc. Don't miss the well of souls - thousands of skulls in the catacombs which fill a giant well. See the "Lama hat" statute - I won't spoil the story for you.

For whitewater rafting, bring a waterproof camera. Make sure you have dry clothes too. We came off the water and had quite a way to go to get back to the bus, as it couldn't come to our pick up point. Kinda difficult time (and not what was on the agenda).

When flying Peruair to and from Cusco, carry snacks. We were the May trip. Our flights both ways were cancelled, calling for extended delays in the airport. Hours! Our final end of trip departure lunch wasn't until late dinner (by which time the dancers, etc. were long gone). Bring your camera - wow to the house! Do not underestimate the flexibility and resourcefulness of Disney during these events. We were there during the "strike" where farmers blocked off roads, filled them with stumps, etc. making transport almost impossible. Disney re-routed and replanned things. We missed a few moments but it was all in fun and adventure. It certainly make me appreciate international travel with a group where they were back office solving the new challenges each day. Our group had a great time, and these added to the stories for the trip. Pachama dinner at 10 pm was a bit of a challenge, but at least they kept the food for us.

If you haven't gotten the Rx for altitude sickness, do so. We ended up sharing our meds on the trip - seldom needed them but boy do you feel it. I panted like a dog climbing up and down the circles of Moray - and make sure you walk it - don't just look - go experience the temperature change as you walk it.

Many surprises - the most hospitable people and incredible trip you will ever take. Make the most of it and enjoy.

Thanks for the info - forgot the waterproof camera but may have to hunt one down. As for altitude sickness ' not yet but I´m only in Lima. As for the snacks ' got you on that one ' I owe you one. Thanks for reading!

Do you know if we should bring an adapter or do the hotels provide these in the rooms?

I would suggest you bring an adapter & or converter only because its safer. I'm not sure if the hotels have any as I brought mine. The plugs down here look like ours in North America and will fit in perfectly but two people on our trip blew out their camera battery and another item because they did not bring a converter. Although one of the girls said that she has been charging her ipod withough an adapter. Most of the rooms only have one free plug so one should be enough if you juggle your charging times right.

All the hotels had a blow dryer so you can save some room there. Also, at the Sol & Luna Lodge (where you will be staying for 4 days) the rooms do not get too dark. If you are sensitive to light, I would suggest bringing a night mask. Of course, your so tired most of the time that if that doesn't bother you, you can skip it. Oh yeah, there are no TVs in the room at Sol & Luna.

The guides are amazing and I will upload a picture of them on Wednesday or later so that at least you can recognize a familiar face.

As for the adapter, check your plug-ins, if they can handle up to 240 watts, you should be safe. However, if you are bringing a curling iron, flat iron or any heating device, you MUST bring a converter. All the hotels rooms had a different plug in the bathroom probably to avoid something (blow-up) like this happening.

We are going on this trip next August 16 and can't wait. Looking forward to it already. Thanks for sharing your experiences; I look forward to reading them in my leisure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter