75 employees laid off at Pixar, including the director of Lightyear

Status
Not open for further replies.
One group showed intolerance, the other reacted to siding with intolerance.

It’s the whole well I can’t say my side is bad without also showing that the other side is equally bad strategy.

Sometimes your side is wrong… ok to call it out. You don’t actually lose. But it’s apparent there’s a few who still see it as win loss which is why we are even talking about the bars now.

It’s the whole well I can’t say my side is bad without also showing that the other side is equally bad strategy.

Sometimes your side is wrong… ok to call it out. You don’t actually lose. But it’s apparent there’s a few who still see it as win loss which is why we are even talking about the bars now.

That has become a huge problem too. It's not that you even have to pick a side, you have to pick the whole side and agree with everything that side supports. There is no middle ground - you better be all in. It's not enough to just agree with something, you have to support it and crusade for it and any deviation is considered and affront. It's pretty ridiculous.

It's like if I were to criticize a politician I would be immediately be met with, "Why don't you criticize *opposing politician* too?" Well, I DO, you jsut assume I don't because I criticized your chosen person. It's tough being a moderate these days!

That has become a huge problem too. It's not that you even have to pick a side, you have to pick the whole side and agree with everything that side supports. There is no middle ground - you better be all in. It's not enough to just agree with something, you have to support it and crusade for it and any deviation is considered and affront. It's pretty ridiculous.

It's like if I were to criticize a politician I would be immediately be met with, "Why don't you criticize *opposing politician* too?" Well, I DO, you jsut assume I don't because I criticized your chosen person. It's tough being a moderate these days!

It’s impossible really. Which is why these conversations always end up like this and I never know why I engage lol.

We just saw it happen. Ask a question and it can’t be answered without trying to rope in something else. It’s ok to have an opinion on something regardless of someone else’s opinion on something else. One day….

Anyone who got triggered and felt a personal challenge to their way of life by an advertisement needs to do some real soul searching.

Do you agree?

No, I don't. Hundreds of billions of dollars are spent every year on ads, and their main purpose is to manipulate people. Every single second of those ads are design to drive home someone's point. We even have laws regarding how advertising is used, especially ones that are targeted to minors, and companies have been sued and fined for it. Dismissing it's impact is not very wise.

Anyone who got triggered and felt a personal challenge to their way of life by an advertisement needs to do some real soul searching.

Do you agree?

Honestly, yes. Being outraged about the outrage or lack therof is also pretty counter-productive.
And I also agree as well. I think the rednecks that took this too far and are costing good people their jobs that work for AnBush are wrong. I didn't buy Bud Light before or after this mess, so I really don't have a dog in this hunt. However, I think any consumer has the right to make their buying choices based on their thoughts and beliefs, even if I don't agree with them.

Most bud light drinkers are heterosexual males 35+ who are raising kids. They see a trans person who was born a male dressed up and pretending to be a 6 year old girl named Eloise, and now that person has a paid sponsorship from a beer brand they have been loyal to since college.
Do you seriously think that your hyperbole about Dylan Mulvaney is productive? She's 26 and is in no way "pretending to be a 6-year-old girl named Eloise."

As BrianL said, there's a real discussion that could be held about certain issues involving trans people, such as how they can most fairly participate in sports, but your dismissive flippancy towards people who aren't hurting you one whit by their existence makes such discussions impossible.

Do you seriously think that your hyperbole about Dylan Mulvaney is productive? She's 26 and is in no way "pretending to be a 6-year-old girl named Eloise."

As BrianL said, there's a real discussion that could be held about certain issues involving trans people, such as how they can most fairly participate in sports, but your dismissive flippancy towards people who aren't hurting you one whit by their existence makes such discussions impossible.
I am literally quoting one of Mulvaney's most popular post. Where Mulvaney says "Hello I am Eloise and I am 6". I did not create any of this. This came 100% directly from Mulvaney's post. I am simply trying to explain why someone who doesn't think like you, may see this as an issue for a paid sponsorship with their beer brand of choice.

A 25% market share loss and $20+ billion dollar stock valuation loss is simply a massive news story. There will literally be marketing classes taught about this. It will go down in history as one of the biggest marketing missteps in 50 years. it is on par with the New Coke fiasco for Coca Cola in the 80s. I am simply baffled that people don't understand why this is newsworthy.
The reaction has been newsworthy. What's bizarre is the intensity of the reaction to what was not an inherently newsworthy situation in the first place. People could have just shrugged and said, "Okay, Budweiser sent Dylan Mulvaney some specially designed beer cans. Big whoop. That doesn't affect my life." Instead, way too many people decided to take it personally.

But, what I don't get is WHY someone would not want to drink a kind of beer just because someone else also likes to drink that same beer! What does it matter? It's pretty crazy, right?
Yeah, it's like some people are deathly afraid of being associated with one of those weird/disgusting/whatever trans people if they drink the same beer as one of them. Wow.

Still waiting for an explanation of why having diverse characters in a movie is a left-leaning agenda...
Okay, I'll try to get back on track for this thread, so although I'm also curious about the other half of Nancipants' question, I'm restricting my response to the first half.

I hope that those who think that Disney and Pixar shouldn't be including certain characters in their movies will answer Nanci's question, because I don't understand that viewpoint, either. Adding nontraditional characters doesn't diminish the other types of characters who've been in these movies for a century.

And I also agree as well. I think the rednecks that took this too far and are costing good people their jobs that work for AnBush are wrong. I didn't buy Bud Light before or after this mess, so I really don't have a dog in this hunt. However, I think any consumer has the right to make their buying choices based on their thoughts and beliefs, even if I don't agree with them.

Even though I don't think it was limited to "rednecks", I do want to thank you for providing an answer. I think the last line is something we all do agree with and is a good place to leave this conversation with this mutual agreement.

Now let's go back to crap talking the Obi Wan series :)

Even though I don't think it was limited to "rednecks", I do want to thank you for providing an answer. I think the last line is something we all do agree with and is a good place to leave this conversation with this mutual agreement.

Now let's go back to crap talking the Obi Wan series :)
And oh boy was Obi-wan ever a giant steaming pile of poo!

Why do people normally ask questions?

In this case, as most people probably guessed, it was to get an answer.....

Back to Pixar
I wasn’t asking a general question; I was asking a specific one. How would his answering your question with a yes or no brought any light to the discussion?

Okay, I'll try to get back on track for this thread, so although I'm also curious about the other half of Nancipants' question, I'm restricting my response to the first half.

I hope that those who think that Disney and Pixar shouldn't be including certain characters in their movies will answer Nanci's question, because I don't understand that viewpoint, either. Adding nontraditional characters doesn't diminish the other types of characters who've been in these movies for a century.

Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks and every other movie studio should include WHOEVER they want in their movies. I think most people enjoy seeing movies that reflect general society's diversity. It means more viewers and more customers. With any product there is a market demographic that the company is going for and movie studios are showing us they invited us all into the theater. Customers always have a choice in participating, they don't get a choice in the making.

I am perfectly happy for PIXAR (thread purpose) to be so diverse. I think it's great inclusivity, it's the world I live in, and I want it reflected. For most movies like Elemental I didn't think for a split second about the water people that others are upset about. WATER PEOPLE, who were wearing clothes, eating food, having drinks, playing games and laughing. WATER PEOPLE!!!! Are people upset about the "bush" kid who kept pushing plants out his armpits making a face like he was constipated? Like HE was a PLANT that was BIRTHING babies. :tilt:

Anyway, such ridiculousness. The problem I see with PIXAR is they have their beautiful visual creativity but they have loss their whimsical imaginative creativity. And while they made this common story have a creative angle, they also made a 10 and up movie using animation. I likely wouldn't take a younger child to it. DS#1 functions as a young child and he was bored. Kept looking to leave. He goes to 1-2 movies a week, this is the first time he got antsy and paid little attention to the movie.

While Toy Story has adult humor and lots we can enjoy, they also had TOYS, things kids could relate to, TOYS that came alive, things kids could relate to. How many young kids understand fire, wind, water, botany and chemical interactions?

And one thing DS#2 said is that the latest PIXAR movies are missing something that makes most these films work - a REAL VILLAIN. Not a cranky guy, a strict father, a dysfunctional family but a real VILLAIN. It creates the spine to a movie. I hope they find their way back because if not there will be more folks laid off.

Last edited:
The reaction has been newsworthy. What's bizarre is the intensity of the reaction to what was not an inherently newsworthy situation in the first place. People could have just shrugged and said, "Okay, Budweiser sent Dylan Mulvaney some specially designed beer cans. Big whoop. That doesn't affect my life." Instead, way too many people decided to take it personally.
I would say those people decided to take it politically, since the entire reaction was provoked and inflamed by hyper-partisan right-wing social media trolls, for the specific purpose of continuing/expanding their attacks on trans people generally, since they have clearly lost the LGB cultural argument but still need some marginalized group to demonize, in order to rally the folks on their side who are terrified of cultural change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter