7 year old with autism and mobility issues...

peterpanandwendy

Mouseketeer
Hello families with children with autism,

My daughter has limited mobility and spends a lot of time in her custom stroller. She can walk, but tires easily and has trouble on transitions/stairs/uneven surfaces. She is 7 and her custom stroller is HUGE and also very expensive, so I can't exactly get another one if it is stolen... and I can see people being really frustrated that it takes up so much space.

So, for those of you with older children on the spectrum who need support with mobility, did you use one of Disneyland's strollers? Or do you use a wheel chair?

I think you should use what she’s comfortable with, unless you will be bothered by its size. You can get a wheel lock if you’re worried about theft.

Disneyland’s strollers are terrible. And a wheelchair might be fine, but if she has a custom stroller already, it doesn’t seem necessary.

ETA: I see you were specifically asking parents of children on the spectrum. For transparency, I do not have a child with special needs myself, but a friend we frequently visit the parks with does. Either way, I think you should do what’s most comfortable for your daughter.

Last edited:
Hello families with children with autism,

My daughter has limited mobility and spends a lot of time in her custom stroller. She can walk, but tires easily and has trouble on transitions/stairs/uneven surfaces. She is 7 and her custom stroller is HUGE and also very expensive, so I can't exactly get another one if it is stolen... and I can see people being really frustrated that it takes up so much space.

So, for those of you with older children on the spectrum who need support with mobility, did you use one of Disneyland's strollers? Or do you use a wheel chair?
Can you get a stroller as a wheelchair tag for it?

Can you get a stroller as a wheelchair tag for it?
I can... It's just that we are flying from BC and taking a Karmel Shuttle, etc etc and It is really so big and annoying, lol, I'm trying to find alternate solutions to bringing it. But it seems like bringing it may be the. best option.

Not sure about links here but you can rent a MaClaren Major Elite from City Stroller Rentals. Says it holds a kid up to 60 pounds but I am pretty sure it really goes up to 110 pounds. Also says it is not foldable, but that is because of the footrest. We used one for years and it is a godsend. Might be worth buying one instead of renting

You could try calling Deckerts, they might be able to rent you something similar to what she uses already and would at least save the trouble of traveling with it, as they should deliver to and pick up from your hotel.

Please know that while they are popular for renting, they are first and foremost a medical supply store, which I why I say they may be able to rent what you need better than other companoes in the area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter