7 mo./11 mo. window?

WenNRay

<font color=red>Queen of the Castle<br><font color
Could someone explain the reservation window concept to me? Maybe throw in an example to clarify? I think I get it, but would love an "expert" explanation! Thanks,
Wendy

When you buy into DVC you actually purchase points at a specific resort. This is known as your "home resort".

Let's say VWL is your "home resort". You are able to make reservations 11 months in advance to stay at VWL. If you want to stay there Nov. 30- Dec. 2, 2002 you can call to make a reservation on January 2, 2002. This is 11 months from your date of checkout. Up until 7 months from the date, you can make reservations and only be competing against fellow home resort owners from VWL.

At 7 months out, you can make reservations at any DVC resort. At this point, all DVC owners become equal in competing for reservations at all DVC resorts.

you can book at your home resort at 11mo and at all other DVC resorts at 7 months.

Lets say your membership is 250 points at BWV.

You want a reservation for the July 1 - 7, 2002.

You could make a reservation at BWV for this week on Aug 7, 2001 (11 months out). You could make a reservation at OKW, HHI, VB or VWL for this week on Jan 7, 2002 (7 months out).

Exchanges outside the DVC resorts are treated like home resort reservations.

Now if you have points in multiple resorts, it get tricky.

The points must be used based on where they are at. Example: you have 150 points at BWV and 50 points at OKW. You want to make a reservation at BWV that will require 180 points. You will only be able to use the 11 month window at BWV for those nights needing upto 150 points, the remaining nights will have to be booked at the 7 month window.

Hope this is clearer than mud

The 11 month reservation window applies to your home resort. Your home resort is the one for which you purchased your points. For example, let's say your purchased 150 points at VWL. You may make a reservation to stay on points at VWL up to 11 months in advance of your desired check out day. At 7 months in advance of that same check out day, ANY DVC member can make a reservation to stay at VWL. Therefore, you, as an owner at VWL, have a 4 month "exclusive" opportunity to make reservations. This can be quite an advantage to getting reservations for the more popular times. Reservations are always subject to availability and there is no guarantee that a room or will be available at the time you want to go.

As mentioned above, at 7 months in advance of your desired check out day, you can make a reservation to stay on points at any of the other DVC resorts, subject to availability. Using the example of 150 VWL points, you could try to make a reservation at VB, HHI, OKW or BWV. The actual onwers of these resorts have already had the 4 month advantage so there may or may not be rooms left for you to reserve.

If you still have questions, please ask again.

There are better experts than me, but I'll give it a shot...

You have 11 months in advance, from your check out date, to book using points at your home resort. You can book starting 7 months in advance at any DVC resort.

If I own at OKW, today I can make a reservation with a check out day of September 15, 2002.

If I don't own at OKW, today I can make a reservation with a check out day of May 15, 2002.

This doesn't mean that I need to have those points today, only for the period I'm planning on staying.

Hope I got that right:)

Think I've got it. Thanks everyone for replying-I'm learning so much! I can't imagine buying DVC without having all of your advice to read. These boards have been invaluable! We have to wait until we sell our motorhome to buy, though, and it's killing me! I'm afraid it won't sell now that winter is fast approaching so we might have to wait until Spring. Lord give me patience! I've got Disney fever bad! Anyhoo, thanks again everyone--
Wendy

Just a side note that I'm sure you already understood- you can try and make a reservation at anytime withing that 11 month window at your home resort,(within 7 at the others). Your not guaranteed to get it,but you can always try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter