7 Dwarfs Mine Train - too intense for kids first roller coaster?

It was my son's first roller coaster this spring and he was 4 for at the time (has since turned 5). He was a little hesitant watching it zoom by, but he loved it. It's a very smooth ride and not that fast (for a roller coaster). And if memory serves me right, it stops/slows down a couple times. We only road it once and he really liked it. For size comparison, if it helps, he was 39 inches and 34 pounds at the time.

Here's my question (sorry for hijack, OP), is it even a great ride? Not that a ride has to be intense or "thrilling", but based on some of these reviews (kiddie coaster, boring, etc.), I'm wondering if its worth all the hype? What were the early reactions?

I have a family of coaster chickens (except for me) and the only one who didn't like 7DMT was the 8 year old. (My five year old is still furious to this day that he was too short for Everest.)

Here's my question (sorry for hijack, OP), is it even a great ride? Not that a ride has to be intense or "thrilling", but based on some of these reviews (kiddie coaster, boring, etc.), I'm wondering if its worth all the hype? What were the early reactions?

I loved it! It was really very short and I would probably not do a long standby line for it. But for me it's worth the FP.

I think the problem is that the ride is very short and people wait so long so you get a "that's it??" feeling afterwards. It's a fun smooth ride but nothing crazy.

I agree with the others. It's not at all intense. I think what makes it feel much easier than other coasters, is that it kind of feels like you never really go high off the ground at all. It's very smooth and you just kinda stay on the ground. Yes, there are hills, but it doesn't have that exposed "high" feeling. I'm in a minority, in that I was paranoid on Soarin! I enjoyed it, but I felt somewhat unsafe up that high with a small seat, and just a seat belt. EEK! LOL!

Not intense at all. My 3yo'scomplaint was that it was too short (he was right, btw!).

I recently took my 11-year-old son on it. He had never been on a coaster and is a sensitive type so I started with mine train thinking it is a boring little kiddie coaster. I find it to be just thrilling enough to be fun and not boring at all. He ended up really surprising me, loved mine train and went on to ride all the other coasters including Everest and RNR and loved them all! The back of the mine train swings more and feels faster than the front, so you can always request the front for a less intense ride. As others have said, it is super smooth. I love the ride and the queue too.

I'm glad to read all this. I'm not a rollercoaster rider, but still made a FP for this in my upcoming trip.

IMO yes it's a great ride. Just enough of a thrill to be fun. It's not boring. The theming is wonderful. I don't think it's worth a very long wait though. We rode it several times with FPs and BOG breakfast and waiting once for 45 mins. That's about the most I would wait for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter