7 day max at 7 months drives me nuts!!

wdw4rfam

DVC Member/AP holder
I just have to vent, I can’t stand the 7 night max when 7 month window opens. We always book 9-10 nights. I go on at the 7 month opening and fight to get what I want and have been eyeing for months. Finally grab it after an hour of inventory shifting around constantly. But have to wait until the next day and day after and fight all over again for each additional day. Yes I know they can’t make it unlimited because it just would cause abuse of walking reservations. But it’s so stressful 😂 Luckily we go twice and the second trip we book our home resort so no issues there.

I didn’t realize you could only do 7 days at 7 months. I thought it was the same as the 11 month. Is this new?

I didn’t realize you could only do 7 days at 7 months. I thought it was the same as the 11 month. Is this new?
No. You can only do 7 days at 11 months as well. You have to wait until the next day to add on a day to make 8...and then another day to make it 9...and so on...

No. You can only do 7 days at 11 months as well. You have to wait until the next day to add on a day to make 8...and then another day to make it 9...and so on...
And it's way more stressful. While at 11 months it's 99.99% guaranteed you can add more days, at 7 month it isn't at all.

Without it, someone could walk a month. Book all of October when they really only want the last week.
Exactly. That’s what I said In my post. I totally understand why they do it but it still drives me crazy. To go through the stress 3 days in a row. We bought where we wanted to stay but that has changed since we bought. Just not in the budget to sell and rebuy. So one trip a year we are bound to the 7 month window stress. 😂

And it's way more stressful. While at 11 months it's 99.99% guaranteed you can add more days, at 7 month it isn't at all.
Yes!! Especially when you see that leading up to the day you need is completely gone. So you know there’s probably more than just you going for it the next day.

It feels like DVC could solve the walking problem another way -- like maybe allow members to book more than 7 days but if they modify or cancel the reservation they'll lose the option to exceed the 7 day limit for X amount of time. It would allow folks with enough points to get the all the days they want, but only if they're absolutely certain of their dates.

It would allow folks with enough points to get the all the days they want,
Yes, and it would allow folks with enough points to book up all the days they "might" want and hold them until 31 days before, if they "weren't sure" of their dates yet.

That kind of behavior is what led Disney to begin charging a $10 per person no-show fee for ADRs. People were booking a table in every park because they "weren't sure" where they'd want to eat each day and then just not showing up at the ones they didn't want.

I think 7 days at 11 months or 7 months is enough, given that owners can modify and add nights online. If someone really wants more than 7 nights at a resort, maybe they should consider owning there so they could book at 11 months and wouldn't have to worry about being blocked from night 8 at 7 months.

Last edited:
I think there should be a modification limit per reservation number. 3 or 4 modifications allowed, then you'd need to cancel and rebook. Wouldn't entirely eliminate walkers, but at least provide some limits.

I think there should be a modification limit per reservation number. 3 or 4 modifications allowed, then you'd need to cancel and rebook. Wouldn't entirely eliminate walkers, but at least provide some limits.

The flip side, is that would have a far greater impact on owners who never even walk but who modify reservations to change resorts when new things show up that they might prefer.

I personally would rather deal with walkers than have any limits for changing outside of the current less than 31 days.

Hence, “buy where you want to stay” is important if you are trying to get “in-demand” rooms.

There are a lot of people like me, who wouldn't buy at all if they had to stay in the same resort year after year after year for 50 years. The incredible thing about WDW is the variety of themes and experiences, why limit oneself to the same resort forever?

Of course not everyone think like me, and more power to them. Buy where you want to stay works really well for some. For others playing the 7 months fight can be fun and rewarding.
So when I speak about stress, yes it's a bit stressing, but that's the way things are and I bought with a plan and knowing I might not stay every time where I'd like.
It has worked well for me for the past 11 years.

😀

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter