$7.00 missing from room left on counter

Mara Restaurant at Disney Animal Kingdom Kidani Village.
I have been going to Mara every year since I purchased DVC and that has been over 19 years. My family and myself enjoy the chicken salad there. Everyone remembers us each and every year we eat our salad at Mara's. This year i only recognize one person and the security employee that stands at the table where you go get your food. I got my salad sat at the table and my chicken was pink, so I mention it to this gentleman that was wandering out on the dining area. He said to me that chicken is cooked if you want I will bring you a thermometer. I was in shock I was told that. I brought it up to the kitchen and the same gentleman told me he had no way to cook it to make it fully cooked. I could not understand this issue. So I asked again he told me if you want custom service I should go eat at Jiko. I own a restaurant in Boston I was in total disbelief. My staff would never talk to a customer that way. I could not believe this was happening. The security lady that has been there for years also told me to speak to the top manager. The manager was in a meeting and I did not want my day to pass so I left. I did go to the Manager in KIdani he did have someone call me. Big Deal the man you was so disrespectful should be addressed and corrected to never speak to a customer that way. i am an elderly woman with my family. I was not eating at Mara because I could not afford a upscale restaurant. I was there because I love there salads. I will be back in Disney in December and will try again but no one should eat pink chicken. so Sad that happen to me. I guess there is first time for evey thing.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2023/07/31/chicken-pink-bloody-food-safety/

When I leave a tip, I always leave it attached to a note with a paper clip. Nothing fancy, just a sheet from a note pad (like disney used to put in rooms grrrrr) saying THANK YOU.

But I can certainly see both sides, leaving the next day starting to pack, last swim, thinking about checkout and putting tip out early AND the CM sees small amount of cash, it must be a tip.

I never leave a note. I put it somewhere like the top of the dresser or on the bed. And figure they will know it is for them.

I am at OKW with my wife checking out tomorrow. I put $7.00 on the counter at the front door. We came back from the pool 4pm and money gone. My wife noticed towels in bathroom pickup up and folded, not changed. Trash was removed. Two days ago housekeeping came with fresh towels and soap. I gave her $5.00.
The $7.00 was intended for the person cleaning the room tomorrow when we leave. Manager stated that counter area by the door is customarily for tips and manager presumed the staff member changing the trash thought the money was left for them. I told the manager that staff member should not have

This is the most amusing thread for some time .... 62 replies so far over

$ 7 ( seven ) dollars ....gone missing

I ask myself How much was spent , time wise = Money , trying to find the Manager .looking

for an answer ?

How much has the vacation Cost , James so far ..... TO BE worried

OVER $ 7 ........ ( How many Flzzy drinks or Pop corn would that buy )

GET over it move on

I liked the little tip envelopes we used to get on cruise ships - make it pretty obvious for everyone!

Actually, it’s not a Do Not Disturb sign. Disney very purposefully changed it to a Room Occupied sign years ago. If it’s for the daily security check, they can & will come in, even if that sign is on the door. They will knock or try to time it to when the sign is off. But if they haven’t been able to get in before, they will enter even if the sign is out.
Wait, what? Are you saying that at any given moment Disney can knock on my door and if the room occupied sign is out and I don't answer, they will enter anyway? What if I'm in the shower? What if I'm in flagrante delicto? Please tell me I misread this.

wow, tipping housekeeping is a widely accepted practice and in no way is stealing. I generally ask for no housekeeping also, but I leave a tip for housekeeping when I checkout. While I rarely use cash at home (except for the people playing music on the street when I go to the weekly farmer's market), I always carry cash when I travel - tips for bell services who hold my bags, housekeeping, the people who serve me food & drinks in the airport lounge.
Fyi....By doing so, you have a good heart but please research the 'violins on street corners and parking lots'...violins, guitars, singers etc. etc. 99% of it is a total sickening scam. You'll read thousands of replies proving it if you research. I know. I was taken in for a while.

Wait, what? Are you saying that at any given moment Disney can knock on my door and if the room occupied sign is out and I don't answer, they will enter anyway? What if I'm in the shower? What if I'm in flagrante delicto? Please tell me I misread this.

There are several Hotel Chains that do this now. It stems from the big shooting in Las Vegas during a concert. The shooter was well stocked with guns in a hotel room with a view of the venue. Ever since, the Hotels check all rooms to make sure there is no danger showing.

There are several Hotel Chains that do this now. It stems from the big shooting in Las Vegas during a concert. The shooter was well stocked with guns in a hotel room with a view of the venue. Ever since, the Hotels check all rooms to make sure there is no danger showing.
I can imagine someone at Poly using the horns on the ferries as target practice.

What kind of mental gymnastics is a housekeeper to go through when looking at $7 left where a tip is normally left and trying to decipher whether that's todays tip, or, tomorrows tip?
This is my question.

How was the housekeeper supposed to see tip money in the tip money location and think to themselves: "You know what, I bet that's tomorrow's tip, better not take it"

It's hard for me to imagine getting so worked up over $7 - that I intended to be left as a tip anyway - to not only contact the manager and write an internet post about it, but also take that money back.

I have read through all the comments. If you don't want your money taken, do not leave any out. That's just the bottom line. Mistakes happen - you might run out of the room late for something and leave it behind - but generally I leave nothing out but my suitcases. Anything I don't want a chance of being taken goes in the safe. Your personal stuff is in a room visited by strangers. Assume nothing.

Yep. We don't leave out cash unless we're checking out, so it would never happen.

I was once checked into a room with clothing still in it. It scared the crap out of me because I've heard some horror stories.

It honestly boggles my mind that people let other people carry their baggage. Absolutely not, my bags don't leave my sight. I've actually had to argue with people at resorts who try and convince me to hand over my bag with a computer in it.

And the fact that they went down to speak to a manager about it? Over seven bucks? I'd hate to see what they tip in a restaurant.

My husband once tipped 20% on a haircut and it upset me for days. I tip around 40-75% for hair (baseline), and I had to explain how it's different than restaurants. I tip 20% at all restaurants, and subtract for bad service, and add for amazing service. But I know some people have some crazy random ways they tip, like per dish.

It's $2 for every $10 people, and you round up. And you tip for restaurant pickup too, starting at $5. Every drink you order? Minimum $1 tip to the bartender/barista.

For us, we don't get our room cleaned during our stay. The one trip we did, we made a special trip to take out $75 to tip. I wrote her a thank you note and handed everything directly to her.

I don't know how other people leave their hotel rooms, but we bring our own trashbags, bag our own trash, wipe down the counters, put all towels in the bath, and put all linens in a pile. I've always done it that way. Same with stacking all my dishes at my table.

Do other people not do this and just tip $5 on a messy room? I don't know. At the end of the day protect your belongings and don't leave things out for other people to take unless you don't mind it disappearing.

Last edited:
Yep. We don't leave out cash unless we're checking out, so it would never happen.

I was once checked into a room with clothing still in it. It scared the crap out of me because I've heard some horror stories.

It honestly boggles my mind that people let other people carry their baggage. Absolutely not, my bags don't leave my sight. I've actually had to argue with people at resorts who try and convince me to hand over my bag with a computer in it.

My husband once tipped 20% on a haircut and it upset me for days. I tip around 40-75% for hair (baseline), and I had to explain how it's different than restaurants. I tip 20% at all restaurants, and subtract for bad service, and add for amazing service. But I know some people have some crazy random ways they tip, like per dish.

It's $2 for every $10 people, and you round up. And you tip for restaurant pickup too, starting at $5. Every drink you order? Minimum $1 tip to the bartender/barista.

For us, we don't get our room cleaned during our stay. The one trip we did, we made a special trip to take out $75 to tip. I wrote her a thank you note and handed everything directly to her.

I don't know how other people leave their hotel rooms, but we bring our own trashbags, bag our own trash, wipe down the counters, put all towels in the bath, and put all linens in a pile. I've always done it that way. Same with stacking all my dishes at my table.

Do other people not do this and just tip $5 on a messy room? I don't know. At the end of the day protect your belongings and don't leave things out for other people to take unless you don't mind it disappearing.
See that's how we are. We tend to overtip, mainly because my wife and I both worked in the service industry while in school so we know what it's like to try and make a living in that industry. This can trip us up sometimes when we travel to countries where tipping is not a thing. But we also tend to leave the room neat when we depart.

I don't know how other people leave their hotel rooms

I don't think you want to. People are gross. And, based on the OP's stance, apparently are cheap too.

actually WDW and many orlando area hotels started it for a diff reason, a few years before the Vegas incident. Room checks were started to prevent child trafficking - sadly Orlando was one of the hotspots for this crime.

actually WDW and many orlando area hotels started it for a diff reason, a few years before the Vegas incident. Room checks were started to prevent child trafficking - sadly Orlando was one of the hotspots for this crime.
I've heard this put forth as the theory too. But . . . has anyone ever been caught using this method? And if no one was in the room, how would they even know?

Furthermore, they should have some system in place so that those of us who've been coming to WDW for years wouldn't be subjected to this. We've had several afternoon naps destroyed by the dreaded knock on the door.

Meanwhile, back to the OP, who hasn't been present in this thread for a while. I cannot believe someone is complaining about $7--that they left out in plain sight in the tipping location. Really? I feel like this was either a test--see if they can leave money out and it's still there when they return--or the post is a complete lie.

OP, if you're still reading this thread, be aware that your complaint over this might have cost someone their job. Over $7. If you can afford to stay at a WDW resort, then $7 is NOTHING to you and a lot to the housekeeper. Particularly since not a lot of people leave tips.

That's one of the reasons I tip generously. I appreciate having my room made up, the housekeepers are doing a very physically demanding job, and I'm on vacation. I leave $15/day and $25 on getaway day. Sometimes more. If I need extra towels or a blanket and someone comes to the room, I give them $5. I usually don't post what I tip, but, what the heck. This thread is about someone who's upset about $7. Seven. Dollars. Sheesh.

Although I will tell you Vegas no longer does this. We've never been bothered and have rarely had our room cleaned (we're there short stints). Signs at Vegas are do not disturb or privacy. In truth Disney is the only one to actually have it going on.

So while I used to talk about the Vegas shooting as the reason it's not relevant any no longer as many hotel brands have ceased doing what Disney is still doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter