60 years ago this evening, they made their first major US TV appearance...

Dan Murphy

We are family.
And, as they say, the rest is history.

When I watched that show back then as a 20 year old, raised on the likes of Elvis, Buddy Holly, Beach Boys, Chubby Checker, Dion and the Belmonts, Brenda Lee, Frankie Avalon, Four Seasons and many, many more, I was a bit shocked by what I saw. My then 16 year old sister was ecstatic about them. I have to admit, I initially could not stand them. But, as the months, and now the many years have worn on, I grew to really appreciate their collective, as well as individual performances, musical artistry and never ending creativity. They were an amazing point of time in musical history and actually, in my and many others' opinions, influenced world mores going forward. Six years later they disbanded the group. Of the original four Beatles, all then in their early 20's, two, Paul and Ringo, and now both in their 80's, continue to perform today to large audiences. I am confident that had the other two, John and George, not died early in their lives, that they also would be entertaining people today.

The Beatles, an amazing legacy.

If you'd like to see that show, a FB link below. I could not locate a full show on YouTube. :confused3 Hope the link works for you, I don't 'do' FB. You nay have to unmite the video after clicking the link.

1707333849244.png

OMG…. I was a senior in high school, and I enjoyed them very much. As the years passed I enjoyed their new songs less.

I was 9 years old and remember my three older sisters sitting on the floor in front of the TV screaming and my father sitting in the chair looking at them and shaking his head.

Over the years I got to see each of the Beatles perform separately in concert. Still one of my favorite bands.

In college, when a boyfriend and I broke up, he played this first song for me. I always fondly think of him whenever I hear this song now.

Last edited:

I remember that show so well!
One and a half years later at age 13, I was one of those screaming little girls at the Atlanta Stadium watching them perform live. :rockband:
Mom & dad drove me downtown to get on a shuttle bus to the stadium with other little screaming girls, lol.
A crowd of 30,000 plus with a ticket price of $5.50.

Just for the record: Feb 7 was the day they arrived at JFK, their first Sullivan appearance was on Feb 9. But the mania began from the moment their plane set down at the airport.

It's all similar to Taylor Swift, but it's in black & white.;)

Using modern technology, The Beatles 'reunite' in song from late 2023.

And then a few individually over the years

Paul

Ringo

George

John

I remember watching this on TV. It was a very big deal. And we used to put on mom's lipstick and kiss Paul on the album cover. 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter