6 year old who likes Goofy's Sky School ready for E-ticket rides?

My kids are 10 and 9 and are still not too excited about many of the faster rides such as Screamin and Space Mountain - they did not enjoy BTMR much at all.

So I don't think age has anything to do with it - in fact I think there is a window - the younger you are maybe the less you are thinking about any risks - once they get a bit older and start to question things more, hmmm maybe that does not look like such a good idea.

Some people will throw themselves into any moment and if there is no wall to stop them they will keep moving - other people see walls no one else can see and will not move past them.

Only you know your child and only your child knows what they want to go on - I'd say let them watch it on youtube or just watch it in the standby line - usually by the time they get to the ride itself they have had time to make up their mind.

The fun part though is when they change their mind last minute after waiting in line - got to love that!! :sad2:

Have fun! :)

My 5 year olds have not been on Space or Screaming. They went on Splash and the Matterhorn when they were three. (Well, DD wasn't tall enough for Splash at 3, DS was. So he was 3 for both, she was 3 for Matterhorn but 4 on Splash). I don't think they are ready for Space yet. Maybe DS because he is much braver but no way DD will go on. Neither are ready for Screaming. My oldest two went on Space and Screaming at 6.

My parents forced me on Space before I was ready. I promised myself I would not do the same to Little Llama. She loved Gadget when she was 6 and made me ride with her a dozen times. I did not even mention any of the coasters that trip.

Our last trip, she was curious about Matterhorn. She tried it and loved it. I could not get her off the coasters after that. She even wanted to try Tower, but Mrs. Llama had reservations.

I think the important point is to wait until your child expresses their own curiosity. Riding roller coasters is not like eating your vegetables.

If she likes Goofy's Sky School, then I really don't see what you're fretting about. My kids tried all rides as soon as they were tall enough. The longer you wait and the bigger deal you make it, the more likely it is that she'll be scared.

My dd6 sounds a lot like your dd. She loves thrill rides. She doesn't like dark rides or loud noises. She tolerates the Fantasyland rides, but she's not a big fan. She hates POTC and Haunted Mansion. Rode BTMRR and Splash at age 4 in WDW and could not get enough. She also rode ToT that trip. Said she liked it, but didn't want to go back on later. Probably rode each at least a dozen times that trip. This trip she was tall enough for Space and LOVED it. Wanted to ride it non-stop. She loved Goofy's Sky School and wanted to do that one multiple times. She was NOT at all happy that ds was tall enough for Screamin' but she wasn't. She didn't want to go on ToT this trip. She wasn't worried about the drop, but the ghosts.

We've always had the attitude "oh yay! You're tall enough for XYZ this trip!" or "You'll be tall enough for that next trip! We'll try it then." We've never hemmed and hawed over it.

My oldest son is a thrill seeker. At 3.5 he went on:

TOT
Space Mountain
BTMR
Matterhorn (befoer increase in height requirement)
Star Tours

He begged to go on Goofy's Sky School but wasn't tall enough yet. Once tall enough, he tried it and he loves it! (It's his favorite) And now he begs to go on Screamin (but isn't tall enough yet).

He didn't go on Splash for awhile because for some reason he didn't want to get wet! So I brought ponchos the next trip and now he loves Splash too.

My youngest on the other hand, isn't as much as a thrill seeker. We tried BTMR last trip and he got scared. He liked RSR though and Star tours.

I think if your child loves Goofy's, they will enjoy other E-tickets. Goofy's is pretty intense as far as quick turns and such. I think the youtube idea is great! We also always try to play up the ride as much as possible in line. Like: this ride is so fun, you will love it! We are so proud of you, etc. We stay super positive the entire time.

Our daughter was 5 the first time we went. It is too bad that Big Thunder is down, as its a really good guage of how they like the bigger rides. She loved it. We suggested that she try every ride once and if she didn't like it, she didn't have to do it again. She was reluctant after Splash Mountain and Space Mountain, but the next day asked to do them again, after a couple days she was a pro, arms up, making faces for the pictures!

The only thing she didn't like was the Haunted House--not really the theme, but it was really loud. She hates things too loud.

We just went with my 6 year old daughter. She's usually not very sensitive but here's what she tried and how she reacted:

Splash - rode it twice and liked it but did refuse to go again for some reason, my 10 year old HATED it, :confused3
Space - she rode it once and hated it. I think it's because she couldn't see anything, both being short and it being so dark. I'm just happy that she tried it.
Indy - she was terrified to go on this the first time because she knew there were snakes. She loved it! She wanted to go again but it was our last day before she finally worked up the nerve and the ride had broken down for most of the day so we couldn't use our fast passes until it was nearly closing time.
Matterhorn - she went on this both this time and last time 2 years ago at 4 years old and she could take it or leave it. She didn't not like it, it just didn't excite her too much to the point she wanted to go on it again.
Goofy's - she liked riding in the back but not the front... I don't blame her :scared1:
Haunted - she loves this ride. After POTC, it was likely her favorite
BTMMR - it was closed this time but she hated it when she was 4. Not sure if she would have gone on it this time even if it was open
TOT - wouldn't go on it because her 10 year old kept talking about how scary it was
Screaming - still a bit too short

Tip for not freaking out your kid for IJ:
If you show your child a youtube video of IJ to show her that the snakes are fake and its really a cool ride, don't tell the story of the "eye of mara" and how when the riders look at it, things go wrong and the adventure begins.

My almost 5yo dd was ok with the ride, and the snakes and bugs and darkness and all that, but she is paranoid about looking at the "eye" now!

Oops!

If she likes Goofy's Sky School, then I really don't see what you're fretting about. My kids tried all rides as soon as they were tall enough. The longer you wait and the bigger deal you make it, the more likely it is that she'll be scared....We've always had the attitude "oh yay! You're tall enough for XYZ this trip!" or "You'll be tall enough for that next trip! We'll try it then." We've never hemmed and hawed over it.

Re-read my OP. I'm not "fretting" about it, nor am I "hemming and hawing." I I find the tone of your post a bit condescending and dismissive. Perhaps that's just the way you write, but message boards require more tact IMHO.

I was merely asking what ages other kids were when they did the E-tickets for the first time to help me gauge how realistic it is to even suggest it. If my 6 year old were the youngest of all the riders, it would make me think I was rushing it a bit. I didn't notice young kids when I rode the E-tickets in 2011. Reading here that some 3.5 year olds were riding them makes me feel like I'm not being too aggressive to suggest them to my DD.

Like I said in my OP, I realize YMMV and my child may change her mind when we get to the front of the line. The whole point of this thread was to see whether it's worth even encouraging her to consider them and GETTING into the line.

Thank you to the other parents who shared your experiences nicely.

As a point of reference, on the day of her 4th birthday and just hitting 40", my daughter rode:

Space Mountain
Tower of Terror
RSR
Splash Mountain
Big Thunder
Star Tours

Without a scare in the world and asked for more. So at 6 - yes they should be ready.

My middle son began riding all the rides when he was four, he can ride the wildest coaster until his older brother heaves and leaves.He is a CM, its his day off I bet the farm he's riding screamin while I am stuck in this office.He will probably call later int he day so we can hear the rides in the background.

He said the parks were crazy busy last week, even the CMs wouldn't go near it after work.Way too many California howdies and people complaining about the lines, etc.Hello its spring break..Jame Francis was the celebrity of the week that passed through..

Height is not a good indicator for being ready for a ride.

My dd is off-the-charts tall. She went on Matterhorn when she was 18mo old. Big mistake! I had to hold her head the whole time and she freaked out. She was just too young, even if she met the requirement of 32". (they have since changed it all around on that ride).

She is just tall enough for Indy now, but at 4.5yo still a bit too young perhaps (and scared of the "eye" like I mentioned before!). We can certainly wait.

Age is more important than height and ,of course, the nature of the child.
It happens also that a kid can do a ride just fine at 3yo and then be scared at 5yo. Kids are quirky!

I can usually tell when she just needs a little nudge and she will like the ride, or if I need to drop the idea lest she panic about it.

Kids are weird and they are different from each other.

My son went on TOT at 4, and although he liked the RIDE part of the ride, he hated that we "died" and turned to skeletons. He's 8 now and still dislikes TOT so much he just won't ride it.

At Universal, he begged me to go on Dr Doom's FearFall. In case you're not familiar, it's basically TOT in individual seats, outside, and WAY taller than 13 stories. It didn't involve us "dying" or being electrocuted or turning into blue skeletons, so he was all over it. (though honestly I'm not sure I didn't actually die for a second there, it was SO terrifying)

He likes Indy and hates the "eye of mara". For some reason he REALLY thinks that if no one looks at it, the ride won't happen. The logic of "if the ride didn't happen, there would be no ride" just doesn't register with him. He WANTS people to not look at the eye. Maybe he wants the ride with the fun but without the danger?

Kids are confusing, LOL. Some kids need to be urged to go on rides; for them it's the only way they will go and end up loving something. For others, that urging feels nearly abusive, and causes lifelong resentments. Alas there's no guaranteed way to know what side any given child will fall on, until it's done and they are adults. Then you can check to see if you messed them up.

I kept my son off lots of things until I felt his body and mind were OK with them. I think he went on Matterhorn (the old version where you had the child right there with you) at 3. I waited for teacups until he was *at least* 3; as a former chiropractor I'm ill when I see babies being taken on that ride. (same with the ladybug boogie at DCA) etc. He was and is tall (he's going to be taller than me by the time he's 10, unless something weird happens with his growth) but his body wasn't ready for some forces, and his mind wasn't read for some things.

The mind is the hardest to figure out, though!

My oldest is the most timid of all mine and loved BTMRR, ST, Soarin', Screamin' & GSS, when she hit the appropriate heights. It took her forever to like POTC & Splash. She still doesn't like Matterhorn or Space. She's not a big fan of TOT.

My 2nd has loved everything the minute she was tall enough for it. Same for DS, who just hit the 40in mark last Oct. His favorite ride of all time is Splash.

My son is 6 and he is scared of a lot. He cried in Haunted Mansion, LOL. He flat out refuses to ride POTC (which my 3-year-old daughter LOVED). He rode Goofy's Sky School and said it was scary but okay. I, on the other hand, was terrified for both of us on that ride! He rode Space, but said he didn't ever want to ride again. he said "rocket...too fast. Wind...too powerful." LOL!!! He didn't ride Splash because he didn't want to get wet. He is too short for Screamin'. I'm sure he would have been fine on BTMRR, but it is down for refurb when we went. LOVES RSR, rode it 4 times. Says it's his favorite ride ever. He rode Matterhorn and didn't like it, but only because he was scared of the snowmonster or whoever it is because it has red eyes and he is scared of things with red eyes, but the ride itself he was fine with.

Lets see. We just went with DD6 for her birthday. She went on TOT, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Indy, RSR, Star Tours, Go Coaster, Sky School, and my fave POTC. When we were there 2.5 years ago, POTC was all she could handle and even then she was scared of it. My strategy was to go on the rides without telling her what it's about. She is still mad at me about Space mountain, but she is bragging to the kids at school that she went on the ride.

My girls have ridden everything they are tall enough to ride. The ones we've had 'scary' issues with are Space Mountain (my youngest didn't like it at age 4, but started riding it again at age 5.5), Tower of Terror (my eldest rode it at WDW at 5, and didn't ride it again until she was 8. My youngest rode it the day before she turned 5; it's her favorite ride in DCA), Splash (DD8 hates that there aren't seat belts, but is willing to ride with an adult in the back seat), and to some degree Indy (my DD6 hasn't ridden it -still too short, but DD8 doesn't like it. Not sure if that is because she's scared of it or just not interested in it. I didn't get the fear vibe from her like on TOT). DD8 loves Screamin', DD6 can't wait until she's tall enough to ride it (DD8 reached 48" when she turned 7, but wasn't brave enough to go upside down that trip).

I wouldn't hesitate to take a 6 yr old that loves GSS on BTMRR (has been my youngest's favorite ride since she was 4 - it was instant love the first time she rode it), Matterhorn or RSR. I'd ask about Screamin', but let her make her own decision.

Whatever ordered lists we adults make you will find that kids' perceptions of what is or is not scary vary. My 9 yr old son hates Matterhorn but he'll put his hands straight up the whole time on Space Mtn and BTMRR. My 6 yr old daughter loves Screamin but will flip out if you suggest she go on Tower of Terror. One year they both decided they were scared of Pirates (after riding it dozens of times) -- not because of the skeletons, mind you, but because of the "hill". :)

Our boys (4 and 5) LOVE splash mountain. All they do is ask to go on it. Our oldest DS went on it when he was 4 and loved it. It took another year for our youngest to like it. When we went in Sept our oldest DS made his aunt take him. I say try Splash, maybe skip Space Mt. its dark and can be scary for little ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter