6 ships in port St Thomas day, what should we do?

reeceandryleesmom

Earning My Ears
Trying to decide what to do in St Thomas. Originally I’d planned on doing a taxi to magens bay but I checked the port schedule and there are 6 ships in port that day. Now I’m worried that magens with be crazy. Any other suggestions? I’d love to go to St John but the only excursion still left would give us less than 2hrs there. Please give your thoughts.

We recently did St Johns on our own with several ships in port Xmas week. It is doable.

My spreadsheet with price increases. This was for 4 of us. Note St Johns was more crowded than normal but it was 1/10 what you would get on Magen's Bay.

Note at Trunk Bay the chairs were $10 each.

We had a great day there!

TIMEDESCCOST Per PersonDURATIONNOTES:TOTAL (4PPL)
7:45FANTASY ARRIVE
8:00TAXI TO RED HOOK$1520 minutesCash only$60
9:00FERRY TO CRUZ BAY$8.1520 minutesCC is flaky, bring cash$32.6
9:30TAXI TO TRUNK BAY$915 minutesCash$36
10:00TRUNK BAY $5 CC or CASH$20
1:30TAXI TO CRUZ BAY$915 minutesCash$36
2:00FERRY TO RED HOOK$8.1520 minutesCC is flaky, bring cash$32.6
2:30TAXI TO CHARLOTTE AMALE$1520 minutesCash only$60
4:00FANTASY DEPART
TOTAL
$277.2

We recently did St Johns on our own with several ships in port Xmas week. It is doable.

My spreadsheet with price increases. This was for 4 of us. Note St Johns was more crowded than normal but it was 1/10 what you would get on Magen's Bay.

Note at Trunk Bay the chairs were $10 each.

We had a great day there!

TIMEDESCCOST Per PersonDURATIONNOTES:TOTAL (4PPL)
7:45FANTASY ARRIVE
8:00TAXI TO RED HOOK$1520 minutesCash only$60
9:00FERRY TO CRUZ BAY$8.1520 minutesCC is flaky, bring cash$32.6
9:30TAXI TO TRUNK BAY$915 minutesCash$36
10:00TRUNK BAY $5CC or CASH$20
1:30TAXI TO CRUZ BAY$915 minutesCash$36
2:00FERRY TO RED HOOK$8.1520 minutesCC is flaky, bring cash$32.6
2:30TAXI TO CHARLOTTE AMALE$1520 minutesCash only$60
4:00FANTASY DEPART
TOTAL
$277.2
Thank you!! This is great I was thinking about going to St John but wasn’t sure if we could make it work with time constraints.

Magen’s is Big and can handle a lot of people. Unless you need a lot of drinks from the bar (or maybe a lounger), the end of the beach to the left (facing the water) provides a pretty empty beach (maybe I should say “very.). There are some wooden picnic tables if you want a seat, and there’s a bathhouse there. We go straight there and only go to the area with more people for lunch or when walking the width of the bay while in the water. It’s at least a mile wide.

I love St John, but it’s a lot of timing to be sure to get there and back on a DIY excursion. (Miss a ferry and you wait an hour.). Unless you’re easy-going, adding stress doesn’t sound like a relaxing vacation. Recently watched a vlog of cruisers who went to St John only to discover that Trunk Bay was closed to snorkeling that day thanks to rough water. They did manage to have a great turtle experience at a different beach (just swimming around). The water at many beaches is spectacular - I would say nicer than Magen’s. (This couple had a 9-hour port stop).

A more expensive option is the catamaran cruise to St John. It will take you to the beach and provide you with snorkeling time. You just need to be able to do the ladder entry back onto the boat. (And spend more money for an excursion).

Lindqvist Beach (Secret Sands excursion) is an overlooked beauty. It is mainly locals or guests staying in condos. Not great snorkeling, but aquamarine water (unless there’s chop on the water) - an unprotected bay.

You just have to calculate your risk tolerance.

Lots of choices. Have a great visit.

How do you find out how many ships will be st. Thomas that day?

A more expensive option is the catamaran cruise to St John. It will take you to the beach and provide you with snorkeling time. You just need to be able to do the ladder entry back onto the boat. (And spend more money for an excursion).
I did this excursion a few years ago, it was quite enjoyable!

Stay on the ship! We did the Coral World excursion for a morning last month and it was great! Now, it was only us and the Symphony of the Seas in port that day, not sure Coral World would handle really large crowds very well. Then we stayed on the ship for the afternoon...kids did the Aquaduck like 15 times.

Magen’s is Big and can handle a lot of people. Unless you need a lot of drinks from the bar (or maybe a lounger), the end of the beach to the left (facing the water) provides a pretty empty beach (maybe I should say “very.). There are some wooden picnic tables if you want a seat, and there’s a bathhouse there. We go straight there and only go to the area with more people for lunch or when walking the width of the bay while in the water. It’s at least a mile wide.

I love St John, but it’s a lot of timing to be sure to get there and back on a DIY excursion. (Miss a ferry and you wait an hour.). Unless you’re easy-going, adding stress doesn’t sound like a relaxing vacation. Recently watched a vlog of cruisers who went to St John only to discover that Trunk Bay was closed to snorkeling that day thanks to rough water. They did manage to have a great turtle experience at a different beach (just swimming around). The water at many beaches is spectacular - I would say nicer than Magen’s. (This couple had a 9-hour port stop).

Lindqvist Beach (Secret Sands excursion) is an overlooked beauty. It is mainly locals or guests staying in condos. Not great snorkeling, but aquamarine water (unless there’s chop on the water) - an unprotected bay.

You just have to calculate your risk tolerance.

Lots of choices. Have a great visit.
Thank you!! Lots of great info, we would’ve booked the excursion to St John but it’s sold out.

Trying to decide what to do in St Thomas. Originally I’d planned on doing a taxi to magens bay but I checked the port schedule and there are 6 ships in port that day. Now I’m worried that magens with be crazy. Any other suggestions? I’d love to go to St John but the only excursion still left would give us less than 2hrs there. Please give your thoughts.
Check what time the ships arrive at port. I am also visiting St. Thomas in April where there are 6 ships in port. But I noticed that 3 ships arrive around 7am and the other ships arrive around noon. So as long as you get off the ship early I would think it wouldn't be too bad.

We did the Secret Sands excursion in August. It was terrific -- we really enjoyed it!

Stay on the ship! We did the Coral World excursion for a morning last month and it was great! Now, it was only us and the Symphony of the Seas in port that day, not sure Coral World would handle really large crowds very well. Then we stayed on the ship for the afternoon...kids did the Aquaduck like 15 times.
Thinking of doing the Coral world/beach excursion
What type of transportation was used?

I searched for how many ships were in st Thomas on a given day, with no success. would you share how you get to that info?, thank you

@byanks7 - I searched for “ships in port” (Google). I selected this page from several choices.

A3594590-C004-4CED-B6EF-5C93A28E157D.png

The designation “CB” is Crown Bay dock. Utilized by Royal Caribbean and others. Very little infrastructure for tourists here.

WICO is West Indies Company (at Havensight). This is where Disney usually docks. More tourist shops here. You can walk to the sky ride (gondola) or grocers. There’s a Tap & Still restaurant here (think 5 Guys food - without the sweetness in the buns with beer.)

Cruz Bay is St John.

Last edited:
Check what time the ships arrive at port. I am also visiting St. Thomas in April where there are 6 ships in port. But I noticed that 3 ships arrive around 7am and the other ships arrive around noon. So as long as you get off the ship early I would think it wouldn't be too bad.
Yes, they stagger the ships arrivals. There is several hours between the first and last ship coming in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter