5K Blog for Big Girls

OK, ladies. I've been lurking in the shadows here for a while now and it's time to step into the light! :cutie:

In June of this year, I made a commitment to get healthy by eating right and exercising. The Disney Hawloween 5K seemed like the perfect motivator-- after all, nothing motivates me like a trip to Disney! So I'm 4 weeks in to C25K and I'm making steady progress. I started out at 257lbs, and am now at 239. I walk/run 3x week and do the elliptical 2x a week to burn extra calories and hopefully improve my stamina.

But just to prove I'm crazier than most, I've just made a DVC reservation for the Princess Half! I figure I'll definitely be able to do the 5k come February 27th, but I'm going to train for the Half. And when a MK View studio at Bay Lake was open 6 months out-- well, that clinched it! It was a sign from above as far as I'm concerned! (Hopefully DH will see it the same way!)

So, if you don't mind, I'd like to join in here for motivation and support. You've already helped so much without even "knowing" me!

OK, ladies. I've been lurking in the shadows here for a while now and it's time to step into the light! :cutie:

In June of this year, I made a commitment to get healthy by eating right and exercising. The Disney Hawloween 5K seemed like the perfect motivator-- after all, nothing motivates me like a trip to Disney! So I'm 4 weeks in to C25K and I'm making steady progress. I started out at 257lbs, and am now at 239. I walk/run 3x week and do the elliptical 2x a week to burn extra calories and hopefully improve my stamina.

But just to prove I'm crazier than most, I've just made a DVC reservation for the Princess Half! I figure I'll definitely be able to do the 5k come February 27th, but I'm going to train for the Half. And when a MK View studio at Bay Lake was open 6 months out-- well, that clinched it! It was a sign from above as far as I'm concerned! (Hopefully DH will see it the same way!)

So, if you don't mind, I'd like to join in here for motivation and support. You've already helped so much without even "knowing" me!

How cool! I didn't know they had a 5k at Halloween time! You'll have to take pictures to share with us.
It sounds like you are doing amazing on exercise and losing weight. It's nice to finally get 'in the zone' and stick with it, isn't it?
I'm planning on doing the Princess Half in 2012 with a friend. I need to save for a bit to do that one! I will have to live vicariously though those of you going next year to tide me over. :goodvibes
And yay for another 'big girl' joining in! :cheer2:

Thanks, Daisybelle! I only hope I can do as well as you obviously are! 3 5k's... How awesome is that! There are some days (maybe most?) where I can't even imagine doing the 16 min mile minimum pace. But instead of getting down on myself, I just try to focus on where I was when I started this journey-- and I know progress is being made!

And you're right. It feels fantastic to finally be in the zone. Even though I have so much weight to lose before I get to my goal, I feel fantastic with just the 18 lbs lost so far.

Here's some pixie dust to all of us Big Girls who have Big Goals! pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

Welcome to the gang! I'm glad you finally came out of lurkdom! And congrats on the 18 so far! That's fantastic!!!

One of my ultimate goals is to also do some of the disney races. Just got to figure out where to start and then of course, the money issue! lol And you are just about 2 weeks ahead of me on C25K. Although I've been repeating weeks just to make sure I can handle the changeover.

I'm not to 16 min miles yet either. My quickest time so far has been 17:10 per mile, which I was able to sustain for 3 miles. Just not during the 5k last week! I started working on a run/walk combo but stopped that when I had a sciatic nerve issue a couple of weeks ago. I need to start working on that again!

I like that: Big Girls with Big Goals :goodvibes

Ok, where's our big gals? How has walking and/or running been going this week?
I've done a few shorter walks the past couple of days because of being so busy. I'm really looking forward to the weekend so I can A) Have some fun with my daughter and B) get a couple of big walks in.

Anyone else out there have anything to share?? popcorn::

my tailbone issues (fall in Jan) have been flaring up, so i slowed down quite a bit through summer...I'm back at it while seeing a chiropractor - apparently it's my SI joints giving me trouble

I have a half in oct (disney/wine and dine) and one in november more locally - i plan on doing both still

You don't have to be fast, you just have to go!

Ok, where's our big gals? How has walking and/or running been going this week?
I've done a few shorter walks the past couple of days because of being so busy. I'm really looking forward to the weekend so I can A) Have some fun with my daughter and B) get a couple of big walks in.

Anyone else out there have anything to share?? popcorn::

It's been a real busy week here too. I've still been doing my c25k but nothing in between :eek: I need to seriously get back on the exercise wagon again! But next week should be easier too now that the first week of dd's school is behind us and out of town visitors will be leaving Sunday!

Kind of the same ole thing for me this week-- which is a good thing! I'm continuing the C25K and doing the elliptical in between. I like being in the grove, even thought it might be boring!

I did weigh in this past Wednesday and I was down 6 pounds! :woohoo: But that's because I had only lost .6 the week before for no reason, so I think the 6 this week was just my body playing catch-up.

Hope all of us have an running-filled weekend!

I've actually slowed down on my training quite a bit...beside the heat getting to me, I'm getting bored with distance running. Even with my size I was always a a sprinter so I need to find ways to make distance running less boring for myself. It always feels so good afterward though...:worship:

Any ideas ladies?

I've actually slowed down on my training quite a bit...beside the heat getting to me, I'm getting bored with distance running. Even with my size I was always a a sprinter so I need to find ways to make distance running less boring for myself. It always feels so good afterward though...:worship:

Any ideas ladies?

Are you doing the same route or changing it up? I get bored if I run the same route time after time, so I have to change my route up every once in a while.

sometimes instead of listening to music, i listen to podcasts to pass the time. I had to do a long run last night and listened to a running podcast I like called "Two Gomers Run a Marathon"....kept my interest, helped me through - you could also use something like the DisBoards own pocast, or any other topic you enjoy

Any ideas ladies?

Yea, I was thinking too that maybe you should change your route up. Maybe find a new place with pretty scenery to try! And having something new and different to listen to would be another great idea! Good luck!

I agree on podcasts! I enjoy listening to those more than music some days because it keeps my brain more entertained on longer sessions. I also try to go to one new route a week for my long walk so I have new scenery to look at. I also do one alternate form of exercise a week like swimming or a DVD. Its fun to change it up a bit!

Just reporting an update on my training for the Princess half in 2012. Did nearly 3 miles with a 16.47 pace. I am happy I was able to increase from 2 miles last week. My knee and calves seem to be doing ok. I am finally seeing my muscle tone come back since my 2nd knee surgery. Muscle memory is a great thing. I am really working on being positive about my sloooow progress. I am planning on doing my first 5k in September. My goal is to avg a 16 min mile pace. I love that so many big girls are out there striding with pride.

how is everyone doing?

I'm checking in....I've slacked with some of my training this summer and am picking up again. I've been traveling tons and I come home and push off regular routine.

On that note, I have a half in Oct (Wine/Dine) and one in November more locally.

I'm easing off of the running...I'm finding it boring without someone to do it with. However, that's not gong to stop me from trying to be fit. I will continue walking, and have also started going back to the gym.

DH lost 100lbs :worship: and was my running partner, but he has developed tendonitis and has had to stop running for a little while. We will both try training again as we lose more weight! :banana:

I'm still trying my hardest to hit the 50lb loss mark before Disney...I've been doing well with Weight Watchers, but havenow started to ease off of my carbs!

Wish me luck girls...keep up the good work everyone! :cheer2:

I haven't checked the Dis in a few weeks! That's odd!

I had a minor set back in August with a sciatic nerve flare up. Several massages and a couple of visits to the chiro later, I am doing much better. I kept walking during that time but stopped trying to jog. I lost a little speed too, from being so sore for a few weeks there. I think I'll try the running once I've lost a little more weight. I am down 39 pounds though! :cheer2: That's since April. I have another 5k on the 26th so I'm trying to work on my speed leading up to that. I know I should be ok with finishing last EVERY TIME but I would love to just be 2nd to last or 3rd to last for once. :goodvibes

It's nice to read that others are still working towards their goals!

Ladies...

I am currently training for my first 1/2 marathon. I am now finally to the point I can actually do it! I have been somewhat of a runner, but that has decreased from 3 days a week, to 2 days a week, to maybe once a week (you get the picture).

I recently joined a running group in May and since than I have reached up to 11.3 miles. Yeah, I am so excited I have actually gotten to this point. I really believe the running group is what keeps me going because I get to chatting when I am running and time goes by so fast that way.

But the reason I am posting is just to share with you my training method. It is the Jeff Galloway method which is a run/walk method. I highly recommend it once you get past the idea that you are "walking" during your "run". But I don't think I could have gone as far as I have without it. There is a Jeff Galloway website but I also recommend a Podcast called Motion Traxx (it is free) episodes 04/07/10 and 06/24/2010 are great starter episodes. The main theory behind the method is "injury free" and to "enjoy" the run.

While I was searching around tonight I see that Jeff Galloway is an Offical RunDisney consultant :) But that probably means you aready knew that.

http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/run-disney-training-consultant/

What is so ironic is that I return from my Disney Cruise on 11/4 and my first 1/2 is 11/7... hence the reason I am on the boards to check to see if the 5ks are still offered on CC so I can get some training in before the big day.

Good Luck Ladies!!:hyper2:

how is everyone doing?

I'm checking in....I've slacked with some of my training this summer and am picking up again. I've been traveling tons and I come home and push off regular routine.

On that note, I have a half in Oct (Wine/Dine) and one in November more locally.

Deb-- I just want to say how thoroughly I enjoy reading your blog! It's very inspirational for me. I especially could relate to the entry where you mention the change in your identity to "runner". I SO can relate to everything you put their. This time losing the weight/getting healthy feels like a real change for me, and I know it's because of starting the process by beginning to run. Running is always something I thought "real athletes" did, not big, out of shape me! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter