• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

50th Birthday Book for Mom

amberdburke

Paisley's Mama
My mom is turning 50 in January, and I want to compile a book of letters for her. I am having most of my family and many of her friends write letters to her explaining what they love most about her, and sharing favorite memories. My question is what are some options for compiling these into a book? I would prefer to have a hardback, but would be willing to consider other options. Any ideas are appreciated!

My mom is turning 50 in January, and I want to compile a book of letters for her. I am having most of my family and many of her friends write letters to her explaining what they love most about her, and sharing favorite memories. My question is what are some options for compiling these into a book? I would prefer to have a hardback, but would be willing to consider other options. Any ideas are appreciated!

What a nice present for your mom. Two thoughts come to mind, both are scrapbooks.
First, paste the original letters/notes/cards into a nice scrapbook and add photos if you have them. Add your comments as journaling.
Second, scan the letters/notes/cards then print out the digital photos and put those into a scrapbook with photos and journaling.

Love the idea of adding pictures, especially pictures that may relate to the story. For example if her sister (your aunt) tells a story about when they were 10, having a picture of her when she was 10 would be a great touch.

We did this for my in-laws 50th Anniversary. It's something they treasure and look at frequently. We asked for letters and pictures with thoughts, memories, etc. We received a lot of cards with those notes so we made a scrapbook with them all by pasting the notes, letters, cards and pictures to scrapbooking paper and put them in an album--THREE albums to be precise! Get out and look for stickers to add to the pages too. Your mom is going to LOVE this!!:goodvibes

I would scan and then upload them to a photo site like Snapfish or similar and make a photo book. You can then add photos of the letter writers, photos of her WITH the letter writers at various times, the possibilities are endless.

For younger members of the family, or those who just aren't into letter writing, have someone take a pic of them with a special message. Like a kid holding a sign that they've made that says 'I love Grandma, Happy Birthday!' or whatever.

Thanks for the ideas!

There aren't a whole lot of pics of my mom growing up, so those are kind of hard to get, and I live in a different state, so I don't have access to our family pictures.

I had thought about Shutterfly, but I thought the letters would be too hard to read. I had thought about typing the letters out in the book, but I think it would be nicer to have the letters in the people's handwriting.

So, I guess a scrapbook it is. Thanks for the ideas!

I would scan each letter and get a photo of each person and make a photo book on somewhere like Picaboo. Each page would be the letter and then a photo of the person who wrote it on each page.

Check out Heritage Makers. Oprah picked these customizable books as one of her favorite things back in December 2008. They are a big step up in quality from shutterfly, and the books are made in the USA. Let me know if you have any questions.

Check out Heritage Makers. Oprah picked these customizable books as one of her favorite things back in December 2008. They are a big step up in quality from shutterfly, and the books are made in the USA. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you, I will!

What an awesome idea! We did a video for my aunt of her life before she passed away last year. It was so wonderful and can last forever!

:lmao: No ideas, but I turn 50 next year. Please tell me that isn't old enough for a milestone, life experience present!!!! Don't you know 50 is the new 30? I mean, I have to work another 23 years before I'm even eligible for social security benefits! Oh, and I can still do rope drop to fire works at WDW!

:lmao: No ideas, but I turn 50 next year. Please tell me that isn't old enough for a milestone, life experience present!!!! Don't you know 50 is the new 30? I mean, I have to work another 23 years before I'm even eligible for social security benefits! Oh, and I can still do rope drop to fire works at WDW!

I thought that was really young for a milestone birthday as well!!! We did something similar for an aunt's 80th.

That's a great idea! I'm sure she'll love it..:lovestruc

No, I don't think 50 is old, but yes it is a Milestone Birthday. I'm turning 30 next year, and I think that's a Milestone too.

Basically my Mom is having a super hard time being an "empty-netser," and I want to show her how important she is to all of us :goodvibes

I'm right there with you. I turn 50 in December and when I saw this post, I thought, "Oh, God, am I old enough for this?" :)

Maybe because I just have DD12 (no adult kids or grandchildren) I can't imagine receiving something like this. I'd prefer a bottle of Bacardi.

I am 45 and I would LOVE that! How sweet of you to do something so special and thoughtful for your mom.

I am 45 and I would LOVE that! How sweet of you to do something so special and thoughtful for your mom.

Thanks for the encouragement :goodvibes

My mom and I are very close, and I have no doubt that she will love it. I'm sure tears will be involved, but the good kind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter