50's PTC...can they go easy on the interaction??

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
We've eaten at 50's PTC several times and we love the food, but my kids really do NOT like the "aggressive" servers. I'm referring to the servers that are constantly pointing out things like elbows on the table and not eating their vegetables and such. The kids are fine with conversation and some interaction, but when they are loudly called out or "berated", or anything to call attention to them, they are mortified. Their typical response would be to ignore the server and not interact, but I fear that would encourage the server to escalate and try harder to get them to respond, which would make it even worse. It's fine to hear the "spiel" and keep it within the confines of the table, but when it starts to involve the neighboring tables and other guests, my kids start to get uncomfortable because they can be extremely self-conscious. On our last trip, my older daughter ended up leaving the table in tears:sad1:. I've had some servers that are perfect and keep it to a minimum. They stay in character, but the aren't loud or obnoxious about it. THOSE are the ones we love:love:. When I went with my friend last year, we had a server who was really into their role and we antagonized him a LOT...but it was a riot because we were two adults who wanted to play the part too:rotfl2:.

Our 180-day window is coming up next week and I am wondering if there is a better time (early vs late) that we should consider. Also, is there something that we should have them note on the reservation? I would think I could just quietly mention something at the restaurant. I know that the CM's would never intentionally make a guest uncomfortable and my goal is to avoid that. My girls love watching the OTHER guests interact with the servers so the overall atmosphere of the restaurant is very entertaining, and they love the food, so we do not want to skip the restaurant altogether.

Thanks for any advice or tips:flower3:.

We've eaten at 50's PTC several times and we love the food, but my kids really do NOT like the "aggressive" servers. I'm referring to the servers that are constantly pointing out things like elbows on the table and not eating their vegetables and such. The kids are fine with conversation and some interaction, but when they are loudly called out or "berated", or anything to call attention to them, they are mortified. Their typical response would be to ignore the server and not interact, but I fear that would encourage the server to escalate and try harder to get them to respond, which would make it even worse. It's fine to hear the "spiel" and keep it within the confines of the table, but when it starts to involve the neighboring tables and other guests, my kids start to get uncomfortable because they can be extremely self-conscious. On our last trip, my older daughter ended up leaving the table in tears:sad1:. I've had some servers that are perfect and keep it to a minimum. They stay in character, but the aren't loud or obnoxious about it. THOSE are the ones we love:love:. When I went with my friend last year, we had a server who was really into their role and we antagonized him a LOT...but it was a riot because we were two adults who wanted to play the part too:rotfl2:.

Our 180-day window is coming up next week and I am wondering if there is a better time (early vs late) that we should consider. Also, is there something that we should have them note on the reservation? I would think I could just quietly mention something at the restaurant. I know that the CM's would never intentionally make a guest uncomfortable and my goal is to avoid that. My girls love watching the OTHER guests interact with the servers so the overall atmosphere of the restaurant is very entertaining, and they love the food, so we do not want to skip the restaurant altogether.

Thanks for any advice or tips:flower3:.

Yeah you can tell the host/hostess at the beginning and they'll relay it or you can tell your server directly.
We've found that our server is usually quick to identify the kids who are shy vs the kids who genuinely don't enjoy it and they scale it back a lot.

Sounds like this might not be the best choice of a restaurant for your family. If it makes the kids uncomfortable why not pick another place- after all the hijinks are what makes Prime Time unique

A lot of people ask if they can skip the interaction because the food offerings are more neutral and traditional, while HBD is more expensive, Sci-Fi is burger-dense and the setting is a put off for some kids, Mama Melrose is barely passable Italian and then there's not many options left for sit down if you're in the park all day.

Our children are older but still enjoy this restaurant (as do I). Given their ages, the interaction is not as welcome as it once was. So, we asked the hostess to tell our server to tone it down "just a bit". It wasn't an issue at all. The server interacted just enough to make it fun but not overbearing.

50's will tame it down if you ask. We have been there several times. Every time was a great experience.

Our children are older but still enjoy this restaurant (as do I). Given their ages, the interaction is not as welcome as it once was. So, we asked the hostess to tell our server to tone it down "just a bit". It wasn't an issue at all. The server interacted just enough to make it fun but not overbearing.
That's just it...my girls will be 13 and 15...that age where they either WANT to be the center of attention or they absolutely do NOT want ANY attention. My older daughter will get up and sing solo karaoke at the pool, so she isn't afraid of attention, but it has to be on her terms. If someone is putting the focus on her and she doesn't want it, she will freak out and have a breakdown. When they were younger, it was kind of the same way with the characters...they would either go right up to them or they would hide under the table! It all depended on what kind of mood they were in at the time.

I echo what others have said - the servers will match the mood of the group. Help them out by telling them your concerns just in case, though :)

My family has stopped going there due to how over the top some of the cm's can get. I get that it's part of the experience but there's a difference between saying hey dont put your elbows on the table and berating someone for what they are wearing

I believe you can tell the hostess when you check in if you "want to play" or "do NOT want to play." My family is usually the opposite and we want a lot of attention. We get very disappointed when we leave without crying from laughter, so we always say upon check in that we want a server that likes to play! But either way, if you ask them for a particular tone, they will try to put you with a CM that will match your party's desire for "fun level".

We have been there and it was obvious that my son was not into the interaction. I asked the server if she could stop because it was upsetting him. She didn't and it was the worst meal experience of our trip. We won't go back for this reason!

We always tell the hostess what kind of interaction we want (we want the full deal). We love it. After once having a waitress completely ignore the whole theme and act like any old restaurant my daughter was so disappointed. We have not been disappointed since. I am sure it would work the other way. If the waiter doesn’t tone it down I would get up to “go to the bathroom” and find someone to tell the waiter to do so since the kids are not having a good time. I would hope they would listen.

Our server James was great this past March. He was pretty average on the banter and played to each of the 4 tables in his section really well. He realized that while our son eats orally some food is too hard to eat (ie the veggies) He never said a word to us about that. However he did have alot of fun with the fact that DH drinks alot. He brought out 4 drinks once and then a giant pitcher of tea. DH made sure to suck up the last of it as James was walking back to our table. :) Honestly the whole team was super nice especially since our DS has a tilted wheelchair that can not fit under tables and has to be along side the table.

I haven't been here yet because I feel like it would get old pretty quick but I'm sure if you say something to the hostess before hand or even to the server directly it won't be an issue.

We actually stopped going a few years ago because the servers weren't "playing the part" at all for our last two visits. I don't think we were putting off the vibe that we didn't want interaction, but who knows :confused3 we definitely had minimal interaction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter