50s Prime Time or Sci- Fi?

BabyHabs

Mouseketeer
5 of us, including 3 small kids. Which one would you recommend for lunch? I've heard sitting is difficult for 5 people at Sci-fi?

I'm not a fan of 50's Prime Time so personally I would pick Sci-fi. But with small kids you might be better off with Prime Time. Sci-fi is very dark inside & they show clips from old Sci-fi movies on the screen. So if any of the kids might be scared it wouldn't be a good choice.

I like both places. Yes, odd seating is difficult but not impossible. Sci-Fi has picnic tables toward the back, which may make it easier, but the kids may prefer to sit in a car. Prime Time is definitely fun for all ages, but I liked Sci-Fi food better.

Prime time can be a lot of fun if you go along with the idea that it's the 50's and you have to follow certain "rules"...no elbows on table, not talking with your mouth full, clean your plates (no food left)etc. It's a lot of fun I think! the waiter/waitresses are your "Moms" so be ware! the food isn't bad either...a lot of old fashioned things like Pot Roast, Meat Loaf etc.
Sci Fi Diner may be a little strange for the kids....also done up like the 50's but I don't think it's as much fun. I also think the food is WAY over priced for what you get but it still tastes good.
I think you would be fine with either but I prefer Prime Time.

I would suggest Prime Time with the three small kids, just for the overall atmosphere and "home cooking"/comfort food type of menu. Our kids love the chicken pot pie, as well as the turkey meatloaf, which comes in the shape of Mickey's head (and also tastes good...I guess that is equally important!). With that said, eating in a car is pretty cook at Sci-Fi. If they are legitimately small, you could probably get away with only needing two rows of a car. Each car has three rows, typically for two people each, but you could fit three small kids into one row or, more likely, the smaller parent and the two smaller kids....either way, might still be a tight squeeze, and if too tight, then the 5th person is sitting alone. Still in same car, but since all rows face the front of the car, it could be a little awkward.

We really enjoy both but the best of the two IMHO is Prime Time. Love the fried chicken meal and my kids always find something to eat there.

Love the food at 50's, but everyone in our family would choose sci fi.

How young are your children and are they ok with being in the dark? Sci-Fi is very dark and seating may be a little difficult unless you're in the picnic style tables. 50s Prime Time is fun, bright and has yummy comfort food (yummy fried chicken and pot roast).

I agree that this is a tough choice. For my family (all adults), we would pick Sci Fi without hesitation. We like the food and watching the clips from old sci-fi shows, movies, and cartoons. That being said, it is kind of dark inside the restaurant and the benches are designed to seat two people per row. I have seen them put an adult and two small children in one row, but it depends on the sizes of the guests in the party. They do have chair cars (cars with regular tables and chairs), but those seem to be used mostly for guests with wheelchairs or ECVs. This thread has a good photo of the seating/cars in Sci Fi:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/sci-fi-question.3444990/#post-54371349

In terms of 50PT, I think that one depends a lot on the ages and sensitivities of your children. Generally, it sounds like they don't pick on small children, but teenagers and older are fair game. This recent thread is worth looking through if you have children that might be sensitive to the teasing that might happen around them:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/prime-time-cafe-question.3443562/#post-54345787

We love both and think they're both great experiences, something you can only do at Disney. Seating for 5 when you have small kids is not bad. You'll likely be able to put the three kids in front with the adults behind.

Sci Fi has great burgers and sandwiches, while 50s has heavier entrée type meals. Depends what you'd want in terms of fare. You also have to have a good sense of humor at 50s. If any kids are sensitive or shy, the gimmick at 50s may not go over well and the 50s theme would certainly be lost on them. Kids might more appreciate Sci Fi.

A few people here recommended the picnic tables at the back but hello, did everyone forget that they have regular tables within a car?? It seats 6 people! That way you'll all be facing each other and still be inside a car. Although in a traditional car , if your kids are small enough, you might fit three kids in one bench.

Given the choice we'd definitely pick SciFi over 50's forsure. We just love the atmosphere. Food is pretty good... Love the onion rings, chicken wings, spinach dip, picnic burger, and oreo milkshake! So good!

50s food is really heavy. I found the fried chicken to be too salty. Plus the sarcastic humor and scolding is lost on kids...especially younger kids. My son certainly didn't find it funny. Lol

They are both favorites of mine. Sci-fi if you want a burger. Also great because it is dark and quiet - a nice break from the crowds. Someone will have to sit alone but it is not really a place for conversation, everyone watches the Sci-fi clips. 50s PTC has good grandma-style home cooking if that is what you like. I usually get the sampler platter which is the fried chicken, meatloaf and pot roast. Some people are offended by the atmosphere or just don't like that kind of interaction. I really enjoy it but I was explaining it to my nail lady and her response was that she would be furious if someone told her to clean her plate. :( They have toned it down quite a bit, but it is not for some people. Some of us would prefer the old days when there was a lot more interaction. If you want to eat your meal in peace, 50's PTC may not be the place for you.

If you can work out the seating, I would definitely go for Sci-Fi for theming. The old movies are a blast and sitting in the cars is great fun.

Depends on your children - took the grandson at age 16 months to Sci-Fi and he loved it. He does love cars and was transfixed by the movies. Going again in a week and trying 50s this time.

Everyone should do Sci Fi at least once. Has great atmosphere. Yes the seating is a bit different. BUT, as far as food goes, I would choose 50's Prime Time. They have GREAT fried chicken and good desserts. We eat there on every trip.

We like sic fi, but we are not the kind of people who would like 50's prime time. We don't want to "be part of the show" so to speak. We don't want to play along with the act. But if you are into that sort of comedy and don't mind joining in, it would be fun. We just like to eat in peace LOL!

The kids loved sci fi and got a huge kick out of eating in the car. It was nice and quiet and relaxing.

Depending on the age of the kids, sci-fi can be a bit more for older kids/teens. We love 50s PT. The menu is geared more towards kids/family, the setting, lots of Disney history, and lots of fun!! We have never had a bad experience! I get a little bored at sci-fi especially when the movie loops again. But then again, I am not into sci-fi that much. And in some cars you don't face one another. It's fun every now and then, but if I had to choose I would go for 50s PT hands down!

We like both, but all 4 of us prefer the food at the 50s Prime Time. My guys are old enough to either ham it up or let it roll off their backs when the servers interact with them. DS15 gets into the spirit of it, but DS11 is pretty shy. In all the times we've been, though, it's never been an issue.

We do love the atmosphere and the campy movie clips at Sci-fi, and sitting in the cars is always fun, but we've been enough times now that the novelty has worn off some and they're choosing restaurants based on the food. Also DS11 was not thrilled last time because we were there long enough for the movie clips to start repeating. He said it was "kind of like watching a bunch of commercials." :/ And we're all sci-fi movie/book fans. We have a breakfast scheduled there for the upcoming trip, so I'll be interested to see how that goes over. If you've never done either, you really can't go wrong whichever you choose.

We're giving 50's a shot for lunch this year for the first time, we've always done Sci-Fi.
The theme is not to miss at Sci-Fi and if you've never been to either, I'd definitely go Sci-Fi. The food reviews seem consistently better at 50's, but nothing to pass on Sci-Fi about.
As for children, I've never seen children scared since we've gone and the majority of tables I've noticed had kids anywhere from 3 to 12 constantly without issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter