50s Prime Time Cafe at HWS

DisneyTravelers2008

Sally & Clay (Disney Travelers 2008)
We are thinking about going to 50s Prime Time Cafe for lunch. We re doing a full day at HWS and need place to break from the heat in the middle of the day. My experience with most Disney restaurants like this is that the food is ok / good /average. And Im ok with that. We've been to all the other indoor restaurants at HWS and I need some input on this one. What is the best and worse thing to order? What are you favorite and least favorite things about this place?

We ate here for dinner on our last trip and I have to say, I was impressed with the food. Mind you, I did not have an extremely high bar going in, so that definitely added to it, but it was certainly higher quality vs. what I expected. My thoughts:

1. It's fun. Our waitress did the whole "overzealous Aunt" shtick with table rules, etc. It wasn't overbearing or uncomfortable, but just added a little flair to the meal.

2. As noted, the food was better than I thought it'd be. We ordered and shared: Beer-battered Onion Rings, A Sampling of Mom's Favorite Recipes and a Chocolate Milkshake. All of them were quite tasty. This was plenty (more than enough) food for my wife and I to share. Pot roast and Meat loaf were the highlights for me.

3. Not sure if this was just due to the fact that it was VERY busy when we went that particular night, or if this is very common, but we definitely waited longer for our name to be called than usual. I realize this can happen with ADRs, but it was still longer than the average wait, in our experience.

Hope that helps!

It's not one of our favorite places but we do like the bar. We don't really like the teasing and food is way too heavy for us. It's not bad food but very heavy, we tend to like lighter meals. We go to the bar there and eat at the lounge at HBD because, well, Cobb Salad.

We ate there for the first time in November 2019 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great service, good food, nice ambience . . . would definitely consider a repeat visit!

This was the place my in-laws picked and I didn't have high hopes. I was pleasantly surprised.

It is one of my favorite comfort food restaurants in any of the parks.

With that said, my wife hates the place. She hates the fed-up mom bit that we have run into there from the waitresses. One time we went, it was all pretty normal service and she was OK with it. We went again on a different visit and the waitress really played the mom part well. Not a fan of veggies, my wife didn't eat all hers on the plate and was denied a dessert. It was all in good fun and in jest, of course. But man didn't it torque her to "deal with this nonsense". I just laughed... but unfortunately we haven't been back since. :sad:

We were there in October and I had the Pot Roast. It was wonderful. The table beside us had the fried chicken and it looks great as well. Oh and the onion rings were delicious.

The pot roast is delicious and the fried chicken is good too. We have always enjoyed the antics of the staff. The last time we went the waitress did a really good job forming camaraderie among the tables in her section, many of which were celebrating birthdays. It was really fun.

We had dinner there on our last trip-we had a drink in the bar while we waited for our table (maybe 10 minutes?). We shared a wedge salad and I can’t remember what my husband had, but he enjoyed it. It was a last minute reservation made in the park and we ended up liking it very much. Our waitress picked up that we didn’t want to “play” but she had fun with a table of teenagers next to us. I knew they were okay with it because they were laughing even after she would leave.

If you like American comfort food (which we do) it's a great meal. If you like American 50s nostalgia (which we do) it's a nice experience, although a little cramped. I will third the pot roast, but honestly I've never had a bad meal there in close to a dozen visits.

In terms of the "entertainment", I usually tell them when they call my name that we have people who would just like to eat. Otherwise, I ask for a waiter who will deliver "the full experience".

I was pleasantly surprised at the food. Thumbs up to fried chicken and pot roast! Like too many WDW restaurants now, it is very, very cramped. Overstuffed and loud but not deafening (like Tusker House.)

It’s quirky and fun. Our first time there my daughter asked for a spoon and they brought her this huge serving spoon, it was a classic. Staff can be really funny here and interactive.

Blue Plate, chicken pot pie and fried chicken are all very good. Shakes and deserts also good. We never had a bad meal there. Everyone enjoys it..

In terms of the "entertainment", I usually tell them when they call my name that we have people who would just like to eat. Otherwise, I ask for a waiter who will deliver "the full experience".
I have tried and tried to ask for a waiter that would play along ever since my first couple of visits where the antics were in full swing, but I would say my last 5 trips have been a dud! Last time I even told them I had a newbie with me and still nothing. Every waiter I get refuses to play along even if we try to initiate. It's a real bummer. I do love the food and the decor (for some reason it's telling me that I spelled that wrong) so I won't stop going. I always get the sampler because I can never choose between the pot roast and the meatloaf. The only thing I HATE about this place is the green beans. It's the standard WDW green bean that is undercooked and completely flavorless. Not a taste to em'. :crazy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter