• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

50% Borrowing Rule

bksomody

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
Is Disney still limiting borrowing for reservations to only 50%? I need an additional 13 points after the 50%. Will Disney cancel the reservation?

Is Disney still limiting borrowing for reservations to only 50%? I need an additional 13 points after the 50%. Will Disney cancel the reservation?
Yes the 50% rule is still in place. The system won't allow you to borrow more than 50% now (at first it did and then they would cancel reservations over the limit but that changed fairly quickly).

Can you buy one time use points from Disney to help make up the 13 points?

Yes as long as you are making a reservation within the 7-month window. Also, note DVC recently announced it was ending most of its covid modified rules effective end of day April 30. However, the one that is not going away at that time is the 50% borrowing rule.

How do you buy points from Disney?
Call Ms and you can purchase while making the reservation. It’s up to 24 per UY and are $19 a point.

They are non refundable and if you cancel the trip, the points will be returned to your account but will expire at the end of the UY of the canceled trip. They can not be banked or borrowed.

Call Ms and you can purchase while making the reservation. It’s up to 24 per UY and are $19 a point.

They are non refundable and if you cancel the trip, the points will be returned to your account but will expire at the end of the UY of the canceled trip. They can not be banked or borrowed.
I called today and was on hold for an hour and 45 minutes. By the time I talked to someone the room I wanted was already gone. So they put me on a wait list even though it was more than my 50%. I was going to buy points but she said it went through. I hope it doesn´t get cancelled.

I called today and was on hold for an hour and 45 minutes. By the time I talked to someone the room I wanted was already gone. So they put me on a wait list even though it was more than my 50%. I was going to buy points but she said it went through. I hope it doesn´t get cancelled.

A waitlist does not pull points unless it fills. If it requires more than 50% of your contract, the CM that processes it will most likely not fill it because you won’t have enough points.

Now, if you are saying it showed back up whole on the phone and the CM booked it for you borrowing more than 50% I’d say pixie dust but still be weary it could get caught and then canceled.

One option people do who need OTU points for a waitlist is to call, book a dummy reservation to buy them..one night close to the number you want...then once it’s booked, cancel it and the points are there for a waitlist. The only drawback with this strategy is that if the waitlist never fills, you have them...but if you have something else booked that was booked within the 7 month or less window, MS can reallocate those points into what you currently have to free up some of your own points to bank.

Yes the 50% rule is still in place. The system won't allow you to borrow more than 50% now (at first it did and then they would cancel reservations over the limit but that changed fairly quickly).

Yeah I am glad they are doing this now. And it even shows you how many points you can borrow under each contract to get to that 50%. Much better now.

Still hoping they drop this 50% though by the end of this year.

The email we got recently said the 50% would be going away "soon", so hopefully it won't be much longer. Maybe they're waiting until we're within 7 months of 2022 so everyone can book the entire 2021 before they lift it. Then again, that's probably overthinking it. :)

My waitlist came through today using over 50% of borrowed points (18 points over). 😳 I am worried it's going to get cancelled so I may call tomorrow and buy the points just in case. 🤔

My waitlist came through today using over 50% of borrowed points (18 points over). 😳 I am worried it's going to get cancelled so I may call tomorrow and buy the points just in case. 🤔

When this first started they did call before canceling. But maybe this is a good sign it will be ending sooner rather than later??

The fact that they did it is interesting and good for you!!

I'd do that, too.

The email we got recently said the 50% would be going away "soon", so hopefully it won't be much longer. Maybe they're waiting until we're within 7 months of 2022 so everyone can book the entire 2021 before they lift it. Then again, that's probably overthinking it. :)

Omg I didn't see this... I'd love to know which Email if you could remember? Thank you so much

It didn't actually say that the 50% borrowing rule would be going away soon....it said that some of the temporary adjustments that had been made would be going away soon.

It is vague the way it's worded (the word "some" sticks out), no doubt intentionally. However it does imply that's included.
Member Policy Updates
We would also like to share that some of the temporary adjustments made last year to certain Disney Vacation Club policies will be ending soon. We ask that you please visit the Member website for details about policies related to reservation cancelations, the borrowing and holding of points, exchange fees and more.

The borrowing restriction's main intent is to offset the extra flexibility, so one would hope that restoring the standard policies would carry over to this aspect. If I had to take a very (VERY) mildly educated guess, I'd say they'd lift it on 6/2/2021. That would effectively restore full borrowing for 2022, giving everyone a crack at the 7 month booking window for the entire year 2021 with the 50% restriction in place.

It is vague the way it's worded (the word "some" sticks out), no doubt intentionally. However it does imply that's included.

The borrowing restriction's main intent is to offset the extra flexibility, so one would hope that restoring the standard policies would carry over to this aspect. If I had to take a very (VERY) mildly educated guess, I'd say they'd lift it on 6/2/2021. That would effectively restore full borrowing for 2022, giving everyone a crack at the 7 month booking window for the entire year 2021 with the 50% restriction in place.

But the borrowing change going away is the return of borrowed points. They left the language about borrowing restriction the same.

So, I read it to mean soon was May 1st and what was changing then, I think we will see the borrowing restriction in place until at least 2022

It didn't actually say that the 50% borrowing rule would be going away soon....it said that some of the temporary adjustments that had been made would be going away soon.
General consensus seems to be that the email was primarily referring to holding and cancelation policies being reinstated. I agree that borrowing restriction sticks around for a bit.

When we bought into DVC, the ability to borrow was a huge factor for us. As of now, we don't have enough points to travel the way we like to and won't be able to as long as the 50% restriction stays in place. Another in a long list of my frustrations with DVC right now. We don't do a DVC trip every year so we need those borrowed points to book. If the restriction continues into the future (I saw somewhere that it might be staying) then we might be looking at getting rid of our contracts altogether.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter