50% borrowing-are there still a lot of unused and extended points?

ML_LovesDisney

DIS Veteran
Hi all, I am trying to plan out my use of points over next use year. I know DVC has done this before with only being able to borrow 50%, so there may be no end in sight. BUT for those of you that had unused points and got your points extended, have you been able to use them and clear out some of your points from COVID years? I'm wondering if as that clears out, if they will go back to 100% borrowing. Wishful thinking!

I think it takes a while to clear out. People may have used all their "covid" year points, but that left them with an excess in this use year which they will be banking and trying to use next use year.

I do think that we may not see the change until mid 2022 or 2023.

There are still a lot of people who haven’t yet traveled or have banked more than normal because they had the extras.

I know it doesn't mean a thing, but I really like not seeing that 50% borrowing rule window pop up whenever I stalk the booking page :rolleyes1
I have heard they are being more flexible with it too, letting you borrow a little more than 50% if you call. I hope it goes away soon :flower1:

I have 86 'Covid' points to use up. It had been over 300, but we got some great visits in once the parks reopened and the crowds hadn't returned yet. Our long range plans are still good even with the 50% rule, but it does add a bit more stress to my planning. We ended up adding on 100 pts at BWV just to keep our vacation bookings moving along (and to get BWV at 11 mts). Maybe that is DVD's plan all along, restrict your borrowing so you have to buy more - Genius!

I think many will still have lots. We are from the UK and obviously was locked out of visiting the US for nearly two years. Member services kept extending a lot of points for those of us in Europe/etc that couldn't visit.

Maybe next year they will put it back to how it was. Though obviously originally when they started DVC it was also the 50%.

Our first trip as members is coming up April/May after being rescheduled about 5 times! Was supposed to be April 2020.

I think many will still have lots. We are from the UK and obviously was locked out of visiting the US for nearly two years. Member services kept extending a lot of points for those of us in Europe/etc that couldn't visit.

Maybe next year they will put it back to how it was. Though obviously originally when they started DVC it was also the 50%.

Our first trip as members is coming up April/May after being rescheduled about 5 times! Was supposed to be April 2020.

Oh geez! Thanks for responding, I was definitely wondering about international DVC members because they were locked out for so long. I hope your trip goes off without issue finally :cloud9:

Oh geez! Thanks for responding, I was definitely wondering about international DVC members because they were locked out for so long. I hope your trip goes off without issue finally :cloud9:

Thank you, yes fingers crossed. I shall be quarantining myself as best I can for the weeks before so that my entry test will come back negative.

For International travellers the points placed in holding are being issued again at the beginning of the members use year. They have a 3 month life span. These points can be used for new trips or to replace points used for trips already planned during this 3 month period. I would expect this reallocation of points to be completed by March 23.

I called this morning and I swear the MS rep told me I could borrow only 10% from my two contracts, but you all are saying it is 50%. If it's 50% then I should have been able to grab the room I wanted for a family friend the end of April for 5 weeknights. I can't find on the site where it specifies what the borrowing limitations are right now. Can someone post the link to where you find it? Thanks!

I called this morning and I swear the MS rep told me I could borrow only 10% from my two contracts, but you all are saying it is 50%. If it's 50% then I should have been able to grab the room I wanted for a family friend the end of April for 5 weeknights. I can't find on the site where it specifies what the borrowing limitations are right now. Can someone post the link to where you find it? Thanks!

it’s 50% of the total of each contract. If you already have trips booked with those points you would not necessarily have 50% left.

Or, if you have already borrowed it will reduce what is left to use.

For example, I have 300 SSR points so can borrow 150. I have scheduled trips with 200 in my next UY already. I have also borrowed 50.

So that leaves me only 50 left, which is below my 50%

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter