5 people in a room? - Deluxe Family Oceanview w/ Verandah

I wouldn't do it for a cruise that long for two reasons.
1. Storage would be really tight with 5 people. We find there are enough drawers for 3 people, maybe 4 if you use lots of hangers.
2. On our recent cruise, we were 2 adults and 4 kids in connecting rooms. One kid got a stomach bug almost immediately after boarding. Luckily it was a 24-hr thing, but we were so glad to be able to spread out and not get anyone else infected.

I’ve shared a normal verandah with my parents for 4 nights a couple of times. Mostly to save on cost (and that did save.)

For four nights it was okay, for anything longer your MIL will want their own space. There won’t be enough bathrooms or storage space for everyone in that room, especially on a 10 night cruise.

Get two inside rooms instead, it’s normally a similar cost.

I'm not sure that I would count on using the spa showers without a scheduled treatment or pass. There are only a few (3 maybe?) shower stalls in the locker rooms and when I was chatting with one of the spa workers, she said that they were cracking down on people coming in and using them without paying for spa services. I know that with the Rainforest Room Pass, you give the front desk your key card and they give you a wristband. If you try to bypass the front desk without checking in, you might get stopped.
I have used the showers regularly on most of my cruises. I never experienced a crowding issue. 90% if the time I was the only person in there. And on both the Magic class and Dream class you walk past the spa reception to go to the gym. I always understood that the locker rooms were for gym users, too.

I don’t doubt that the CM told you this. But I question whether this is really official policy. I really don’t think that many people go out if their way to go up to the spa to take a shower.

Friends did a 14 night panama (3A, 1 teen) with a verandah. It worked as dad was happy to hop up to the spa to use the free showers there. Just another option to make it work with limited funds.

I have used the showers regularly on most of my cruises. I never experienced a crowding issue. 90% if the time I was the only person in there. And on both the Magic class and Dream class you walk past the spa reception to go to the gym. I always understood that the locker rooms were for gym users, too.

I don’t doubt that the CM told you this. But I question whether this is really official policy. I really don’t think that many people go out if their way to go up to the spa to take a shower.
Your experience may vary. Just passing on what the spa employee told me in case people want to temper their expectations.

How high maintenance is your mother? It will be tight and if she’s picky about her bed, inflexible about her routine, and will want a lot of separate space to put her stuff then it will work but be very stressful. (I could never do this with my mother or mother in law because they have become extremely high maintenance about everything as they’ve gotten older.). If she’s very go with the flow you should be fine. We’ve stayed in 5-person rooms with 2 adults and 3 kids and it was fine but even then it can be hard moving around the room when the beds are all down. The Murphy beds are fairly comfortable.

I've stayed with four in the Family Staterooms and I wouldn't add another person to that room unless it was a child...as in, my own child. DCL makes the best of the space, but imagine living in your bedroom for a week with five people, it's just cramped. Not to mention the what our biggest issue was...one bathroom, and I'm not talking about the shower part.

Maybe check into the price of an inside stateroom close by?

Have you checked to make sure there is a room available? I would go to the website and crunch both scenarios. The room for 5 vs two inside cabins. This isn’t for the 10 night southern Caribbean cruise for this summer is it?

We are considering booking a cruise on the Fantasy (it's been 5 years already since our last time!) We are a family of 4 (2A, 2C) but since my father's passing, my mom has moved in with us and we like to have her come along on our vacation. The 5 of us did a Med cruise last year on RC Wonder of the Seas and had connecting rooms and it was a wonderful set up with ample room for all. We're looking at the 10-day cruise and with connecting rooms the cost of Disney is too high for us to just cruise. I'm wondering if we would be ok all staying in one room, the Deluxe Family Oceanview. I know it'll be tight, but is it reasonably feasible? My children can share a bed if necessary, they're not big teenagers yet.
If you are looking at the 10-day southern Caribbean in July then you should get two guaranteed verandah rooms. They may not be connecting, which could be your deal breaker, but it will save you $3,000 and the rooms could still be close by.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter