$5/day self-parking fee?

bjakmom

DIS Veteran
Is that right that the US hotels charge daily self-parking fee? Do they charge a parking fee if I valet park when I check in? Staying at RP in Aug and I'd rather tip the valet $5 or 10 than pay it at the desk - used to park cars myself when I was young!

They didn't charge us to self park at the HRH last summer although the rumor was that they were charging $5.00/day. I think that it even said that there was a charge on our check-in information...maybe they had enough people staying onsite complaining that they waive the charges? There is a charge to valet park.

We were just there 2 weeks ago at HRH and we were actually charged $10.00 per day for valet. We had self-parked, so they removed that charge, but put on the $5.00 per day self-park charge.

Thanks for the info - nevermind. . . I'll park it myself! Why is a hotel like this charging for parking in their parking lot (self, I mean)? ! I travel quite a bit and other than NYC I don't think I've ever been charged a daily rate to park out in the parking lot!

You know, when we were there last March, I don't recall a self-parking fee and I'm relatively sure there wasn't one on our bill at checkout unless they buried it underneath another surcharge.

I hope they aren't charging for parking in their own lot. Then again, if they said they wouldn't anymore, they'd probably just raise the price of all rooms by at least $5 a night.

:pinkbounc :pinkbounc

We were charged $6.00 per day in the self park lot in January.This is the first time after several trips we were actually charged.

Funny, I usually get very perturbed at things like that (parking fees at hotels). But we loved the hotel so much, it was so inexpensive and they did not charge for the third adult in the room that I just could not complain!

We are also staying at RP the end of August and I remembered reading here that it was $5 at the resort and $10 for valet parking. When I received my reservation in the mail, it tells you about the 6% state tax per room per night and 5% resort tax per night, but nothing about the $5 a day parking. If they are going to tack this fee on, than they should tell people at LEAST on the reservation form sent in the mail. Not being up front about it only makes people mad so not sure why they would do that. Well I made a note of it earlier after making our reservations not to forget to look at the charges when leaving. I've got to agree, $5 a day to park at the resort just stinks! They would be better off just adding it on to the price of the room and not showing it as a separate fee. I don't think you will see this at WDW, a fee for self parking!! What's next, drinking water charges? Oh yeah, that's probably part of the 11% taxs already on the room, lol.

RobinLyn :rolleyes:

I don't think you will see this at WDW, a fee for self parking

Don't count on Disney not doing this!! Remember, they just started charging their guests for valet parking.

I agree with the posters that said that HRH and PB would be better off just charging an additional $5 to their room rates.
Does not seem as tacky!

We were there for 2 nights last July and we were charged 2x$5 for self parking.

Re: to the parking charges, how do they charge the $5 fee ... to your hotel room bill or is there an attendant at the gate? Does self-parking allow you unlimited re-entries into the parking lot and is it another card (ie. magnetic parking pass) that you have to carry around?

I agree :( ... parking for resort guests should not be an additional charge.

From what I was told, it is added to your hotel bill at the end of your stay. I'm sure you can call and question this before you go. Someone here said they complained at the front desk when leaving and it was removed from their bill. I think US resorts need a better way of doing this or remove it all together! Does anyone know if you are informed at check-in about this $5 per day parking fee?

RobinLyn :(

We were just there and valet parked... it was $12 a day. Pretty steep I felt, but I wasn't there to bicker. I see everyone saying $5/$10 for self/valet... I'm thinking it may now be $6/$12.

BUZZ

fyi...When we stayed the end of November, they did not charge us for parking, although I was expecting it after reading about their charges here.

It was not on our last bill and was never billed at a later date...

Does anyone know if you are informed at check-in about this $5 per day parking fee?

Actually, we were told of the parking fee when we made the reservations. We were also told we would have to pay $25.00 extra per night for a third person, but they did not charge us for that :D .

Originally posted by beachbuzzard
We were just there and valet parked... it was $12 a day. Pretty steep I felt, but I wasn't there to bicker. I see everyone saying $5/$10 for self/valet... I'm thinking it may now be $6/$12.
BUZZ

It was $6.00 & $12.00 in January. The $6.00 per day self park was added right to our bill.

last yr in April I want to say it was 5 for self and 8 for valet. This yr it was 6 for self parking and we didn't valet park.

Hi I was just on the phone with universal reservations, and she said it was $6.00 to self park, but for me it is really almost $10.00 with our canadian dollar at l.62 per us. dollar. That kinda turns me off the resort, I know it shouldn't, but it did.

Deb.

Hmmm...you don't suppose those of us with Annual Passes that give us free parking in the garages could just park there for a few days do you?

Just kidding! I'm sure they'd tow my car after 1 night. :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter