4th July weekend? Crowds?

I guess I know the answer that it will be crowded but still wanted to confirm.

This will out first trip and really not sure which time to pick. If I pick dates in October’s it’s the Star Wars crowd any later would be holiday crowds and then looking into next year. If I pick summer is the school out vacation crowds.

I just want to make sure the little ones can have fun and we are not loosing it coz of crowds and hot weather. I think good weather should be most important right. If so which month would be best?

July is an EXCELLENT time to go to WDW this year because most (not all) but most people have postponed their trip so that they can be there when GE opens.

If you look at any random day in July you will find reservation availability for BOG, CRT, CG...even V&A! That just DOESN'T happen after 180 days out. I mean, they even added a passholder room discount to try and fill rooms! Again; this is not something that typically happens during summer break!

In my opinion this July will be the sweet spot with lower crowds than we have seen in a while.
:cutie:

Went for 8 days in 2016 before, through and after July 4th. It was awesome. Crowds were on the higher side, but manageable. Heat and humidity was bad, but you get used to it. But the MK fireworks on the 4th (and 3rd) - Absolutely phenomenal.

I am getting good rates for swan and dolphin, and thinking might as well go during summer maybe for like 3 nights but after July 4th as my kids are little and won't stay up that late and also may get scared and not like the loud fireworks and then if we like it come back in November for 5 nights. Is The week before or after thanksgiving better. Atleast for swan and dolphin I am not seeing any low rates, how do you guys find out if rates are low or high for disney resorts? and what are these BOG, CRT, CG...even V&A , sorry I am still learning the various acronyms.

July 3 is pretty rough, too, because they do the fireworks then. I've gone July 6-9 and it hasn't been bad.

You can't do an all day in the parks during the summer months unless you are willing to die. You'll need to hit an air conditioned space for at least a half hour every two hours or so. It's not so much the heat, but the heat with the humidity combined. You will be drenched the minute you go outside. Mornings are not better, they are even more humid. Even the evening, dark hours will be humid. You will need to keep hydrated all day long and that is water, not sodas, not alcoholic beverages. You need water. And you need to get your kids to drink water, too.

For new July Guests,The 15s are something you will encounter as well.

And the debut of SWGE will have zero effect on their numbers-they will all still come in July because that is Winter Break and they will be back in school when SWGE opens.

So,if many regular July Guests do postpone their trips until SWGE opens,the percentage of 15s to other Guests could even be higher than a normal July.

I guess I know the answer that it will be crowded but still wanted to confirm.

This will out first trip and really not sure which time to pick. If I pick dates in October’s it’s the Star Wars crowd any later would be holiday crowds and then looking into next year. If I pick summer is the school out vacation crowds.

I just want to make sure the little ones can have fun and we are not loosing it coz of crowds and hot weather. I think good weather should be most important right. If so which month would be best?
I'd take October or late July/Early Aug. over 4th of July in a heartbeat. I have been over 30 times to WDW and 4th of July was the one trip that made me say never again. You cannot move in the MK, there are tiered closings of the park as the crowds grow.

We were trying to find a bathroom the year we went and they directed us in one direction and we never did get to the bathroom because it was a huge crowd of madness. You literally could. not. move.

Last edited:

I'd take October or late July/Early Aug. over 4th of July in a heartbeat. I have been over 30 times to WDW and 4th of July was the one trip that made me say never again. You cannot move in the MK, there are tiered closings of the park as the crowds grow.

We were trying to find a bathroom the year we went and they directed us in one direction and we never did get to the bathroom because it was a huge crowd of madness. You literally could. not. move.
You have to be very brave to take on MK on July 4th, but rest of the week is very manageable in terms of crowds. We’ve visited that week twice and had great experiences.

You have to be very brave to take on MK on July 4th, but rest of the week is very manageable in terms of crowds. We’ve visited that week twice and had great experiences.

I’ll be there to enjoy the dessert party, fireworks, and my fast passes. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.

Thanks for the different perspective, I think people are split on this one, which is fine, as we all have different preferences. Based on what you guys have suggested, I think we will now consider going in November. Any particular week in November I should be looking at?

Last edited:
We always do MK on the 3rd and Epcot on the 4th. [/QUOTE said:
That's what we're doing this year for the first time - starting with the Keys to the Kingdom tour on the morning of the 3rd and hopefully ending with the Frozen dessert party on the 4th. I can't WAIT!

You guys are making it hard for us to decide. The low crowd is appealing but the hot weather I am not sure I will be able to tolerate. Specially with humidity and kids, I tend to lose patience and the heat make me lose it even faster.
If this is your first trip i would plan for better weather. There will always be crowds and it is thought that even if the crowds are lower they staff accordingly. So with that you will never travel to WDW when rides are all walk on. Crowds can be managed with a solid touring plan -- this means making good use of FP, utilizing rope drop, and having a system of what rides you are hitting and when. Having dining plans (not necessarily having to do TS meals, but organizing your time so that you are near your desired restaurant at the time you want to eat). Getting a touring plans subscription might be helpful (I use it even after multiple trips).

My family will be going in July but only because we also want to hit universal and I don't want my kids to miss school. I am nervous about the heat but i figure this will make us hit all the indoor/AC shows that we might normally skip. We have gone in April, November and December. The most perfect weather we have experienced was in April - warm days, but no humidity. Warm enough to hit the pools whereas in Nov and Dec it usually isn't great pool weather.

If this is your first trip i would plan for better weather. There will always be crowds and it is thought that even if the crowds are lower they staff accordingly. So with that you will never travel to WDW when rides are all walk on. Crowds can be managed with a solid touring plan -- this means making good use of FP, utilizing rope drop, and having a system of what rides you are hitting and when. Having dining plans (not necessarily having to do TS meals, but organizing your time so that you are near your desired restaurant at the time you want to eat). Getting a touring plans subscription might be helpful (I use it even after multiple trips).

My family will be going in July but only because we also want to hit universal and I don't want my kids to miss school. I am nervous about the heat but i figure this will make us hit all the indoor/AC shows that we might normally skip. We have gone in April, November and December. The most perfect weather we have experienced was in April - warm days, but no humidity. Warm enough to hit the pools whereas in Nov and Dec it usually isn't great pool weather.

So are you saying, in November we wont be able to use the pool at all?

So are you saying, in November we wont be able to use the pool at all?

That will depend. Weather then can be quite variable. One year we were there for Thanksgiving, it was in the mid-80s. Another year it was in the low 70s (at the high) if I remember. So you may or may not be able to use the pool.

FYI, many here like to make touring "plans", but don't feel like it's a must. It's not. If you want to make one, fantastic. However, you can still have a fun and "productive" day without a firm touring plan. We make almost zero plans.

Everyone seems to be talking about MK on the 3 & 4 of July. Are the other parks relatively quieter these days? Is there anywhere else you can go to see the fireworks from Magic Kingdom? Do any of the other parks do special fireworks for the 4th? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter