48.6 at 48

superchime

DIS Veteran
There seem to be quite a few of us who are thinking about doing Dopey when we're 48, so I thought I'd start a thread where we could discuss training and encourage each other.

I'm 46 right now and just did my first half at marathon weekend, and I'm hooked! I'm thinking about doing the full in 2024, and then Dopey in 2025 when I'll be pretty close to 48.6 years old!

In the meantime I'm signed up for the Princess 10k and the Springtime Surprise challenge. Thinking about doing the Wine and Dine half as well.

There seem to be quite a few of us who are thinking about doing Dopey when we're 48, so I thought I'd start a thread where we could discuss training and encourage each other.

I'm 46 right now and just did my first half at marathon weekend, and I'm hooked! I'm thinking about doing the full in 2024, and then Dopey in 2025 when I'll be pretty close to 48.6 years old!

In the meantime I'm signed up for the Princess 10k and the Springtime Surprise challenge. Thinking about doing the Wine and Dine half as well.
r.e. bold --- AWESOME !! :cool1:

48 is way too young to run Dopey. I didn't start running until I was 50, I just finished my 4th Dopey at age 58. So I say to all you young 40-somethings, wait until you are a little more mature before running Dopey. It's already hard enough registering for Dopey without more competition from you kids.

48 is way too young to run Dopey. I didn't start running until I was 50, I just finished my 4th Dopey at age 58. So I say to all you young 40-somethings, wait until you are a little more mature before running Dopey. It's already hard enough registering for Dopey without more competition from you kids.
Agree completely. Started running at the young age of 52 in 2003. I did the inaugural Dopey in 2014. This week I considered signing up to do it again. Then I had a more lucid moment. I am going to leave to the younger foolish mortals.

I ran Dopey as my first marathon at 18...
giphy.gif

I'll turn 48 in March of 2025, so I might do this. I completed my first Dopey in 2019 and I wasn't happy with how the marathon went because I really didn't train hard enough. I tried again last year (2022) and pulled myself at mile 20 of the marathon (the heat really got to me). So I still want revenge and to have a Dopey experience where I'm happy-ish at the end instead of feeling dead. I was going to try 2024, but maybe I'll push it off a year...

Completely agree.

I did my first Dopey in the year I was turning 50 and then turned that mileage build up into a 50 miler later that spring.
I figured I had already done 48.6, why not just do it all in one day? Plus with only one early wake up call instead of four, it should be easier.

Seriously though, I love the idea of matching the mileage goal to our age for as long as we possibly can.

Pfff.. look at these people in their 50s talking about running their first marathon/Dopey. How about saving those spots for those that did their first marathon and first Dopey at the age of 62 like my mom in 2018. :rotfl2:

tumblr_0ed929abb0f4c1ee205d4471f8a393de_5a6f2790_500.gif

On a more serious note, you all have got this! All the power to you, and love the goals!

I love this thread! (I am one of the 48 for 48 on the other post.) I'll be 48 in 2025 and I'm eying that as my first Dopey. I think it will be my first marathon too. As much as I'd like to run a marathon prior to Dopey, my job is crazy, and I live in New England where 4-5 months of the year it can be tough to train outdoors, so it would be really hard to fit in marathon training and then Dopey training, even in a 2 year period. Right now I can barely manage training for HMs but I can't/won't give that up (Princess will be my 5th HM since Oct 2021).

Also love the "I started running later in life comments." I didn't start really running until age 45!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter