4 way DVC resort battle, which should win?

Specter

This is the way
My family is in the early planning stages of our next trip, most likely in March of 2025. I know that's still over a year away but because booking windows will open up soon it's time to get at least a little bit serious about this.

A little bit about us. DW, myself, and DD(who will be almost 6 when we expect to travel) are all seasoned Disney World travelers. Even DD has already been 3 times and she's not quite 5. We travel from out of state, by plane, and generally will use shuttles/busses/car services once we arrive rather than rent a car. We do typically spend our first, partial day checking out the resort and going to Disney Springs for a little bit of early souvenir shopping as well as dinner. We tend to stay for 7 or 8 nights so we do like having enough room to be comfortable for that length of stay, and we don't like doing laundry on vacation so we do appreciate a generous amount of storage. We also spend very little time at the resort itself beyond sleeping and a midday break so spas and pools aren't a big priority for us. We come from a warm state and my parents and DW's parents both have pools, as well as our neighborhood, so even DD gets her fill of swimming, no problem. Also, while Magic Kingdom has the most that DD can do, even on our last trip she was tall enough to ride Slinky and Seven Dwarves Mine Train, and she is now already tall enough for Thunder Mountain and excited to give it a go, so we will probably spend the most time in MK, but the other 3 won't be too far behind. So, with that said, despite being very familiar with Disney World we have never stayed DVC, but are very seriously considering renting points for the first time ever. It just seems like a great deal, especially when a moderate would cost more than a deluxe DVC rental, at least if the calculators on a few of the bigger sites (David's, DVC rental store) are to be believed.

We are currently considering 4 options that, based on calculators, seem like they would be the best fit for our family in terms of cost as well as features that we find attractive, but we wanted to solicit advise from people that have actually had experience with some or even all of them. They are:

Animal Kingdom - This was the last resort we stayed at in November 2022, but in a standard room. We loved the theming and got very lucky with where our room was located. It was on the first level above the lobby and at the very front of the building so it was very easy to get downstairs and out to the busses to get to the parks. We did find the drive a little bit long but nothing that was intolerable at all and the unique experience of the resort made up for any shortcoming there. But, I do know that the DVC rooms are sometimes further away from bus stops, so if we are talking about going from less than a five minute walk to get to our room to a 10+ minute hike, especially at the end of a long park day, that is something that we want to take into consideration. We also really enjoyed all of the dining options here.

Copper Creek - We have never stayed at WL, but we have visited the resort for meals before and enjoy the theming there, too.

Polynesian - DW and I stayed there for a few nights once as part of a split stay and really enjoyed it. We love the convenience of the monorail and the theming of the resort. The dining options here have been hit or miss for us over the years, nothing terrible but nothing we ever really feel in a rush to go back to(I am now prepared to get taken to task by the Dole Whip crowd). One of the concerns with this resort is walking around outside from the longhouse to the main house for transportation when the weather in Florida does what it inevitably does.

Riviera - This is another that we have never stayed at. I will say that based on a few reviews we've read/watched online, we are excited about the idea of this one but we have never even visited for a meal, unlike WL, so we truly have the least experience with this one. We like the idea of the skyliner and think DD would get a kick out of it. However, do the busses run to all 4 parks from Riviera or only to MK and AK since the skyliner services Epcot and HS? We do like that it is all interior in terms of getting from your room to the exit where you would then catch whatever transportation you were taking to the parks, and it doesn't seem quite as large/spread out.

Any information that anybody could offer with experience at these resorts, especially considering some of the travel preferences mentioned above, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and Happy New Year!

My vote is for Copper Creek or Boulder Ridge. It offers easy access to Magic Kingdom and also the monorail resorts for other dining options. The theming is incredible. I think the food there is very good as well. I love Geyser Point!

All of your choices are good but you’ve done AKL, Poly has shortcomings as you mentioned and the Riviera is not near your favorite park and the skyliner can go down during stormy weather.

No matter which you pick though, I think it’ll be great!

I don't think Riviera has theming that will interest a 6 year old - though she would probably like riding Skyliner - which you could just use to get between EP and HS one day. And hey - trying to snag breakfast at Topolino's is a good choice. I personally LOVE AKV - Kidani Village - but here I think it's the savanna view that makes this place shine - but there is limited dining options - so unless you are doing a grocery delivery - you may find food choices lacking for a longer stay. Not sure if you are aiming for a studio or a one bedroom - but the 2 baths in a 1 bedroom at Kidani is sweet - even for just 3 of you. Copper Creek and Poly both have their benefits/pitfalls....

I'd go either (1) where the adults really want to stay or (2) the cheapest that interests you. Now - since you will be renting points - where you can get a reservation is another HUGE factor. I've landed at SSR more than once simply due to availability and my want for a DVC rental.

Tough decisions!!! We are AKL DVC so we love it (both Kidani and Jambo). You cannot beat the savanna views and while transportation is only busses we have had good luck and quite like the "getting away" from it all the resort provides. I also think the pools are very nice.

That being said we were lucky to do a split stay at WL and Poly in October (4 nights WL/5 Poly).

WL was amazing (we did the BR side and loved the remodel). Busses were fine here as was the boat to MK. It is a lovely resort, really liked the quick service. While I was very excited about Geyser Point it was underwhelming. WL provides some of the same escape that the AKL does from the bustle of the crowds.

Poly is the resort I was most looking forward to (we did a one night stay in 2022 there). You cannot beat the location as you can walk to the monorail for Epcot and MK. That being said it is very very dark at night when walking around... the Longhouses are fairly separated and walking to the main areas is hampered by weather when it rains. Also the Poly if fairly overrun with guests coming to enjoy a respite from the parks, or to enjoy the bars/restaurants. Each of the lounges had long lines. It just felt very busy ALL the time.

No matter which you choose you cannot go wrong. Based on what you laid out I think you would enjoy WL. It is a new place to stay (since you have done AKL). There is the boat to MK, a princess meal, two lovely pools and a great quick service all contained in one building.

One last note to my very long text lol: we discovered Lyft this trip! For around $10-$12 we would use the rideshare to get to AK (and one time to Epcot from WL).

Good luck!!

I've stayed at 3 of the four resorts mentioned. I've only visited Riviera. My order:
1. Poly - Poly and WL are tied for my favorite WDW Resort themes. Poly is #1 because of multiple transportation options to MK and EP.
2. WL
3. AKL - I love the theme, but too far from the MK. MK is my favorite park, and the one park is inconvenient if you have a car since you have to park at TTC or take the bus from AKL.
4. Riviera - The theming is underwhelming compared to the prior three, and the proximity to EP and DHS doesn't matter to me since I always have a car

I would choose Copper Creek or Riviera for you because you haven't tried them. We have stayed at all of these resorts and for myself I would choose them in this order.
1. AKL- Beautiful resort. Rooms can be far and there is only bus transportation but the pools and food are excellent.
2. Riviera- Feels compact and newer. The food here is amazing at all locations. The pool is just okay. Love the skyliner but it is hit or miss with weather and the buses aren't great from here.
3. Copper Creek- Love this one. Boat to MK. Geyser Point has fantastic food and ambiance. The pool is just okay.
4. Polynesian- I have the same complaint. I don't love the longhouse setup. Monorail, great pool, decent food.

I too think CCV would be a good choice for y’all with Poly as second.

But I also want to recommend that you not base your cost estimate for DVC rental on the least expensive options at each resort. DVC owners are notoriously bargain hunters, and the lowest cost villas get booked up the fastest. So budget for the most expensive and be happy if you do get the less expensive. Fortunately, March isn’t quite as competitive as the fall and winter holiday seasons, but it is Spring Break for some.

Riviera has buses to hollywood and Epcot when the skyliner is down

the hotel is amazing,
‘the pool is pretty nice, but my kids say the slide is not fast enough,
‘the food is good
and torpolina has a great character breakfast

Animal kingdom is cool if you get a savanna view, other wise, you can walk a good long way to your room to see the parking lot.

WL is nice, the artist point is a good meal,

the poly does nothing for me, unless you want sushi or to ride the monorail …

AKL is a bus ride to everywhere

‘they are all nice just depends on what you want

the skyliner is pretty cool

I vote RIV then Copper Creek (not voting on Poly as I haven’t stayed Poly DVC). AKL/Kidani is just too much of a risk of a far away room for me for that long of a stay. RIV is my favorite hotel in all of Disney. Classy but not pretentious, nicely located, coffee shop, decent food options. Pools aren’t heavily themed but I loved being able to watch the Skyliner go by from them. Quiet pool always seems quiet though it’s hot tub can get busy, especially at night. The furthest away room doesn’t even feel far (I had it on my first stay there and my fam hates walking once we hit the hotel lol), it is just wonderfully laid out. Only Skyliner to EP & DHS, buses only run if there is inclement weather shutting down the Skyliner. No complaints about their buses, they seemed as ho-hum as other Disney hotels I’ve been at.

Last edited:
I vote RIV then Copper Creek (not voting on Poly as I haven’t stayed Poly DVC). AKL/Kidani is just too much of a risk of a far away room for me for that long of a stay. RIV is my favorite hotel in all of Disney. Classy but not pretentious, nicely located, coffee shop, decent food options. Pools aren’t heavily themed but I loved being able to watch the Skyliner go by from them. Quiet pool always seems quiet though it’s hot tub can get busy, especially at night. The furthest away room doesn’t even feel far (I had it on my first stay there and my fam hates walking once we hit the hotel lol), it is just wonderfully laid out. Only Skyliner to EP & DHS, buses only run if there is inclement weather shutting down the Skyliner. No complaints about their buses, they seemed as ho-hum as other Disney hotels I’ve been at.
I have done the 5 minute walk to lobby at kidani… it was worth it for the savanna view, I’m not sure I would do it other wise

We have rented DVC points for years now, and love doing so. One of the things that is important to us is being able to get around the resort without dealing with the weather. So we are not fans of Poly. We do love AKL, but since you have not stayed at either of our two favorite resorts, I would recommend WL or Riviera, with location giving WL a slight edge. They each offer a different kind of experience, both have very good dining options, both have alternate transportation options that are weather-dependent. Really, you can’t go wrong with either one. Have a great trip!

We have stayed at CC, Poly & AKL multiple times each.

If you've never stayed at CC, you should give it a try.

We like resorts that are under one roof, because of weather. I've spent too many times standing inside the door of a Poly Longhouse watching the rain pound down outside.

We stayed CC last Thanksgiving, it was I think our 6th WL stay, and we are staying AKL, Kidani in June for our 3rd stay at AKL.

We always take buses, don't mind them, and we don't see a big difference in transportation times in any of those resorts.

Animal Kingdom - This was the last resort we stayed at in November 2022, but in a standard room. We loved the theming and got very lucky with where our room was located. It was on the first level above the lobby and at the very front of the building so it was very easy to get downstairs and out to the busses to get to the parks. We did find the drive a little bit long but nothing that was intolerable at all and the unique experience of the resort made up for any shortcoming there. But, I do know that the DVC rooms are sometimes further away from bus stops, so if we are talking about going from less than a five minute walk to get to our room to a 10+ minute hike, especially at the end of a long park day, that is something that we want to take into consideration. We also really enjoyed all of the dining options here.
I'm not sure which you're talking about-Jambo or Kidani. At Jambo, all DVC rooms are on the fifth floor, and the location you describe says it's Kidani. But at Kidani, all the rooms are DVC rooms, so they can't be further away (unless I'm totally misunderstanding). Anyways, I've stayed at both Kidani and Jambo, as well as Poly, and would definitely choose AKV-Kidani.

I love the Poly - stayed on the hotel side in 2018 and the DVC side renting points in 2022. With that said - the new Poly tower will (apparently) be opening later this year. That can be either a pro or con based on how you look at it - pro is you could try to get a room in the tower which means you would have indoor hallways while still having access to all the great amenities the poly offers. The con is monorail is thought to be a lot more crowded by the time the tower opens due to the influx of guests.

Either way - all options sound so fun! My dream to stay at AKL or Wilderness Lodge!

I've stayed in all 4 in the DVC sides. I would suggest Boulder Ridge due to its recent refurb OR Riviera. We love all of the places you listed, but those Murphy beds are great compared to sofa beds. I know that also includes Poly.

The boat from WL to MK is fun and my kids love that experience too. Copper Creek is our home resort for DVC,

We loved Riviera's pools, food, and skyliner access. We were there this past August and had no issues with the Skyliner - that is purely chance. Full disclosure: Epcot is our favorite park.

My kids are 6 and 10.

Thank you everybody for the replies. Looking over them, DW and I have seen some things that we suspected confirmed, had a few surprises, and been reminded of a few things we already knew but had kind of forgotten over the years. We are definitely looking closely into everything and look forward to our trip, wherever we end up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter