4 Nights in Aulani, want a trip of around 7 Nights total, what would you do?

DnA2010

Rope Drop!
Hi there,

I would like to plan a trip for 2 families for around 7 nights to the island, we can do 4 nights at Aulani, how would you plan this? Couple nights in Waikiki first, then Aulani? Night at a cheap airport hotel, the 4 at Aulani, then a couple somewhere else? North Shore? Help please :)

Either sounds fun. We have been doing 2-3 nights in Waikiki first since our kids really enjoy the waves at the beach. I love having tons of restaurants and things to do close to us. However, I would love to stay at the North Shore on day! Unfortunately, Turtle Bay has been too expensive for me. I’m not really interested in the other options since I like being right on the beach.

At Waikiki we stayed at an Embassy Suites last year. It was fine and just a few minutes from the beach. This year we are staying at the Outrigger right on the beach. We ate at Dukes last year and fell in love with the beautiful views and walking right onto the beach. The Royal Hawaiian and Moana Surfrider are right there too. The Sheraton is there too beach there is no beach right in front, just want so u have to head over in front of Royal Hawaiian.

I would say Waikiki sucks and it isn't Hawaii it is just like any expensive beach city. I would avoid it, do Aulani or the north shore or both

My pick is Waikiki or North Shore, then Aulani. I've never done split stays in Oahu. I've only stayed at Aulani for the whole week. If I had to do a split stay on any Disney trip, my rule is to start with non-Disney and end with Disney. Anytime I've begun with Disney on past California or Florida trips and ended with non-Disney, the non-Disney portion is a letdown. I've visited North Shore and Waikiki, and I know I would be a letdown if I ended with either destination, especially Waikiki.

Hi there,

I would like to plan a trip for 2 families for around 7 nights to the island, we can do 4 nights at Aulani, how would you plan this? Couple nights in Waikiki first, then Aulani? Night at a cheap airport hotel, the 4 at Aulani, then a couple somewhere else? North Shore? Help please :)
We've done Waikiki for a couple of nights before our Aulani stays. Waikiki is basically a city that happens to be on a beautiful beach. With all that beauty is the usual hustle and bustle of a city.

As far as a "cheap airpot hotel" goes, there is no such thing. Well, at least not one you'd enjoy staying at. Spend that extra night at Aulani (preferred) or Waikiki.

I would say Waikiki sucks and it isn't Hawaii it is just like any expensive beach city. I would avoid it, do Aulani or the north shore or both
Hate to disagree, but did you know Hawaii is an actual, honest to goodness, US State? 😉 And Waikiki is probably more representative of the island of Oahu than the Ko Olina area is?

As much as Main Street in Disneyland is a great place to visit, and represents Walt’s ideal vision of any town USA, Aulani represents Hawaii in the same way. Not that it’s bad to love the idyllic representation of what Hawaii is, but you really don’t get a feel for the real, modern island of Oahu at Aulani.

Waikiki has its good sides and it’s not so good sides. But if you want to see and do things like the locals do, staying at a hotel in Waikiki puts you at a great location for hanging out and enjoying local life. Instead of driving from the North Shore for a hurried trip to hike a crater (Daimond Head or Koko Head) and back, take it easy with a 10 minute drive from Waikiki, leaving plenty of time to wander to the local farmers market after your hike. Or head up Kapahulu for restaurants that cater to the locals for some yummy katsu, shave ice, Malasadas, poke, pipikaula, kahlua pork…. We’ll you get the idea.

I totally get that some people want to visit the Hawaii of their dreams (and various Elvis Presley movies), but you miss out on a lot if you’re not open to anything but the image.

I would recommend a split stay - do 3/4 days in Waikiki first, and then spend the second part of the trip at Aulani. If you can get enough of your “want to see” things out of the way early, you can then relax at the resort, and use the facilities that you’re paying so much extra for. And you can do some stuff in the North Shore (beaches, shopping) when you want, without feeling like you’re missing out by leaving (or staying) at the resort.

Last edited:
I would recommend a split stay - do 3/4 days in Waikiki first, and then spend the second part of the trip at Aulani. If you can get enough of your “want to see” things out of the way early, you can then relax at the resort, and use the facilities that you’re paying so much extra for. And you can do some stuff in the North Shore (beaches, shopping) when you want, without feeling like you’re missing out by leaving (or staying) at the resort.

I've been doing a bit of research and I think this is exactly what we should do- do the "sightseeing" first and then really be able to enjoy Aulani once we get there. I don't think we are going to want to leave the resort much to "do stuff" considering it will have beaches, pools, snorkeling, kids club etc right there.
A budget friendly rental in Waikiki makes doing a few things around the island make more sense I think.

Thank you all for your valuable thoughts!

I've been doing a bit of research and I think this is exactly what we should do- do the "sightseeing" first and then really be able to enjoy Aulani once we get there. I don't think we are going to want to leave the resort much to "do stuff" considering it will have beaches, pools, snorkeling, kids club etc right there.
A budget friendly rental in Waikiki makes doing a few things around the island make more sense I think.

Thank you all for your valuable thoughts!
There are quite a few moderately priced hotels in Waikiki. As long as you don’t need to be on the beach, or near the best beach (the Hilton Hawaiian Villiage), there are lots of hotels which are 1-2 blocks from the beach, quite nice, and fairly inexpensive (comparatively). We usually stay with family, or at the Hyatt when my sister (an employee) gets us a room, but we’ve had good experiences with the following - either occasional stays, or through friends who have stayed:
  • Embassy Suites
  • Waikiki Beachcomber
  • Surfjack
  • Vive
One thing to watch for when you’re comparing rates - parking fees (if you’re renting a car) and resort fees. If the hotel charges them, they’re usually close in cost, but some don’t charge one or the other fees, which can be a big savings.

There are lots of posts in this section which detail things to do. If there are any specific interests, please do post them and I’m sure you’ll get lots of tips. I’m happy to help if you’re looking for more of a local feel viewpoint - it’s been a lifetime (literally) since I would have been considered a tourist to Oahu - except maybe for Aulani! 😁

No matter what you decide to do, I strongly recommend putting Aulani at the END of your Oahu visit.

I definitely agree with putting most of the sightseeing and your must dos in the first half of your split stay whether it be Waikiki or North Shore. 4 days at Aulani will go by very quick so it will be nice to stay on site as much as you can.

We are doing 3 nights in Waikiki and I am trying to do everything we want to do in our full days there. (Will hang out at the beach arrival day) I’m thinking one day doing everything we want on the east coast and the 2nd day head to Pearl Harbor(we missed the battleship last trip) and maybe a hike.

Once we get to Aulani we will probably only head out one day to head to the Dole plantation and then North Shore for the day. We can easily fill 4-5 days at Aulani hopping between the pools and beach.

Hi there,

We did a night in Waikiki, 6 in Aulani and 2 nights in the North Shore at the Courtyard. Got to see the whole island.

There are quite a few moderately priced hotels in Waikiki. As long as you don’t need to be on the beach, or near the best beach (the Hilton Hawaiian Villiage), there are lots of hotels which are 1-2 blocks from the beach, quite nice, and fairly inexpensive (comparatively). We usually stay with family, or at the Hyatt when my sister (an employee) gets us a room, but we’ve had good experiences with the following - either occasional stays, or through friends who have stayed:
  • Embassy Suites
  • Waikiki Beachcomber
  • Surfjack
  • Vive
One thing to watch for when you’re comparing rates - parking fees (if you’re renting a car) and resort fees. If the hotel charges them, they’re usually close in cost, but some don’t charge one or the other fees, which can be a big savings.

There are lots of posts in this section which detail things to do. If there are any specific interests, please do post them and I’m sure you’ll get lots of tips. I’m happy to help if you’re looking for more of a local feel viewpoint - it’s been a lifetime (literally) since I would have been considered a tourist to Oahu - except maybe for Aulani!

Thank you so much for putting some much thought/info here, I will look up all those hotels, and also thanks for noting the parking, we probably need 2 cars as we are a group of 8
No matter what you decide to do, I strongly recommend putting Aulani at the END of your Oahu visit.
Done!! We are booked for 7 nights total, Aulani at the end!
I definitely agree with putting most of the sightseeing and your must dos in the first half of your split stay whether it be Waikiki or North Shore. 4 days at Aulani will go by very quick so it will be nice to stay on site as much as you can.
Done :) We are going to do our 4 nights at Aulani 2nd :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter