4 neighbors bought new cars to save on gas. Is this a trend!

I have no intention of getting rid of my car...paid off and working great. I have a 2004 Ford Taurus and it's already at 80,000. We have had many Ford cars and have had all of them till close to 200,000 ( including a Ford Tempo that is still kicking at 197,000 on the original engine) Take care of your cars and where and how you drive and you will get great service out of any make car. our 21 year old kid in college just did buy a new Ford Focus....neat car with the sync system....gets 35 mpg.
My gas mileage is just fine I get 25mpg. I cut down on the speed I drive on highways and have found it an excellent fuel saver. I drive 25 miles to work one way and fill up every week and a half. I have also cut the number of places I go in a week by using what I have in the pantry. We cut out on eating out alot and go grocery shopping only once a week or stop at the store that's on the way home from work.
I remember the 70's and the hype back then too...everyone was running out to buy those Moped things. It wasn't long before they disappeared. I hate to sound skeptical about such an important issue..but I think we're being hosed with this gas hype..funny how the prices started skyrocketing even faster when it was announced we were getting a rebate check from the government to stimulate the economy.

Just a small point. Some people actually have to drive those "gas guzzeling beasts" for work or because they have a large family.

DH and I both have smaller cars but, if we want to go anywhere as a family we have to take our suburban. We have 6 children. Food has also gone up which means even more the more people you have. We are upper middle class and although we don't like to pay for the gas we can pay for the gas. I really feel for those that are hurting right now.

I didn't mention this in my original post but I referring to one of my (ex) co-workers that are single (heck, he didn't have a girlfriend), no children, and purchased a big SUV just to have it as a status symbol.... sorta like "Yea, I can pay out most of my paycheck on an SUV and you can't".... Well, fast forward to today and he no longer works for the same company (the same smart mouth that criticized me and DH got him fired), he has a new job that pays less, still no girlfriend or children, and a nice hefty car payment and a big gas bill to go with it. Now us on the other hand, we still drive "smaller, gas smart vehicles", DH and I both have gotten promotions, we have our own home (no more renting for us), and 1 DD. The point I was really trying to make is that some people may have had their priorities skewed. To us getting a firmer grounded hold on our lives was more important than have a flashy big SUV to show off. But, to each his own... we are content with the choices that we have made for our family and well, there it is.

Well, let's see...

The Honda Civic was the best selling car in the USA in May.

In June, the Toyota Corolla/Matrix topped the charts.

June 2007 was also the best sales month in US history for Honda.

I'll take that as a 'yes!!!'

Yes, this is true too. Some people really do need a large vehicle. You are clearly one such family. However, there are far, far more examples of people driving SUVs who really don't need the room. Count the number of people driving around solo in SUVs on the road each day. If you believe the stats, most of those people don't have six kids, most have about two kids.

I'm as guilty as any in this regard. We had two SUVs, no kids, but a couple of larger dogs who we cart around from time to time. We're down to just one SUV now having sold one of them (DH works from home) and will hang onto the one we have until it croaks. 125K miles on it, nothing wrong with it....so we won't ditch it.

However, when it dies, we will change with the times and get something smaller and much more fuel efficient.

How do you know the people driving around solo don't need the room? Do you expect them to leave the only vehicle they own at home when the kids are at school? How are they supposed to get around, walk everywhere? How are they supposed to transport the kids to school, doctor's appointments, etc? How are they supposed to do everyday errands like grocery shopping? You can't assume the person riding solo in a big vehicle does not need the room. Also, maybe they just like driving a larger vehicle for the safety issues. Your idea of "need the room" may be different from the person's idea who is driving the large SUV. It is really not a matter of who needs the room gets to drive the biggest vehicle.

Besides, it is nobody's business what kind of car or SUV anyone else drives. They are buying their own gas and making their own payments. They are the ones making the sacrifice.

We traded in our Yukon in April for a Pontiac G6. The Yukon was a 2001, was paid off and had nearly 200K miles. We were planning on a new car this year anyway since DS is 16 and will now be learning to drive. (couldn't imagine trying to teach him in Yukon or DH big truck) Filling the Yukon was around $140 the Pontiac $60. I do miss the hauling space and leather seats and was really looking forward to a nice GMC Acadia. sniff, sniff :guilty: but I do love the onstar, nice radio, sporty styling and sunroof. All in all I am quite satisfied with our purchase. Though if we weren't already planning this purchase I'd still be tooling around in the Yukon, high gas prices and all. Just paid off DH truck so still only 1 car payment.

Volkswagon.com

But I warn you.. it's a nightmare to find things on this site about this car. It keeps dumping you back to the regular Jetta you can buy now.

I think 60 was the highway and of course it's with perfect driving conditions. Since it's not here yet I wonder where they got thier info from. According to the offical info I have read the car has not yet gotten it's USA "MPG" rating?

CarolA,

This is the car we are waiting to see and test drive. We hope it is everything we think it will be ( maybe better).

I also heard it was going to get 60 miles per gallon and even though it uses diesel it seems as if this car will still cost less to run.

How do you know the people driving around solo don't need the room? Do you expect them to leave the only vehicle they own at home when the kids are at school? How are they supposed to get around, walk everywhere? How are they supposed to transport the kids to school, doctor's appointments, etc? How are they supposed to do everyday errands like grocery shopping? You can't assume the person riding solo in a big vehicle does not need the room. Also, maybe they just like driving a larger vehicle for the safety issues. Your idea of "need the room" may be different from the person's idea who is driving the large SUV. It is really not a matter of who needs the room gets to drive the biggest vehicle.

Besides, it is nobody's business what kind of car or SUV anyone else drives. They are buying their own gas and making their own payments. They are the ones making the sacrifice.

How did we all manage to get around in the 70s with smaller vehicles? People in Europe seem to get by okay without clogging their highways with Suburbans and Hummers. Seriously, we sprawled out into the suburbs, got away from mass transit, bet big on SUVs and huge trucks and now we're going to suffer some serious pain as a direct result of those choices we've made.

Like I said, I'm still driving my SUV. I'll keep driving it until it kicks the bucket because there's nothing wrong with it and I can afford the 4K or so that I'll spend in fuel at these prices over the course of a year. It's not affecting my budget so much that I really feel it. I would say that's not the case for most of the middle class though.....

I do enjoy the extra space that my SUV affords me, but I will most certainly buy something that is much more fuel efficient when we need to purchase our next car.

How did we all manage to get around in the 70s with smaller vehicles?

Our parents managed with smaller vehicles because they didn't use car seats/booster seats. I remember rolling around in the back of station wagons with my friends--thank goodness we were never in an accident.

If a family has more then 2 children relatively close in age, it's very hard to find a sedan that can accomodate it.

Kyhardy---Be sure you check out the new Chevy Traverse; it's the same vehicle as the Acadia, but it's much less expensive.

On an individual level I don't know, I don't judge, and I don't care.

On a population level, its statistically impossible that all those people driving around in SUVs have more than three kids. Its unlikely that they all require such large cars for hauling in order to make a living. Some do, which is why I don't judge on an individual level.

And why is it my business - as a small car driver, more SUVs mean the roads are more dangerous for me hauling my kids. Cars getting lower fuel efficiency mean more carbon into our environment and more use of the fuel that is a limited resource.

People told me I shouldn't care that other people were taking out mortgages they couldn't afford - and now my house is worth 20% less than it was last year because of it. Did I KNOW that ALL of those people couldn't afford their mortgage - certainly not, plenty of them could, and are still in their homes. But I knew, statistically, that we didn't have people making that much money to buy homes at what they were selling for.

CarolA,

This is the car we are waiting to see and test drive. We hope it is everything we think it will be ( maybe better).

I also heard it was going to get 60 miles per gallon and even though it uses diesel it seems as if this car will still cost less to run.

The price of diesel will come down once the summer olympics are over. China has been hording diesel for some time to guarantee enought for the olympics, but once they are over they will stop hording and more will be available world wide.

I am not sure what needs all this diesel fuel for at the olympics.

On an individual level I don't know, I don't judge, and I don't care.

On a population level, its statistically impossible that all those people driving around in SUVs have more than three kids. Its unlikely that they all require such large cars for hauling in order to make a living. Some do, which is why I don't judge on an individual level.

And why is it my business - as a small car driver, more SUVs mean the roads are more dangerous for me hauling my kids. Cars getting lower fuel efficiency mean more carbon into our environment and more use of the fuel that is a limited resource.

People told me I shouldn't care that other people were taking out mortgages they couldn't afford - and now my house is worth 20% less than it was last year because of it. Did I KNOW that ALL of those people couldn't afford their mortgage - certainly not, plenty of them could, and are still in their homes. But I knew, statistically, that we didn't have people making that much money to buy homes at what they were selling for.

That is exactly what you are doing, you are judging.

And, it is still none of your business. You choose to be a small car driver, so if you don't feel safe it is not the fault of the driver of the big SUV. If you want to feel safer hauling your kids around, then get a bigger car. Period. And, as for the carbon emissions, that is a myth also that more carbon makes you unsafe. This global warming myth is just a money-grab (think higher taxes!!) and people need to realize that we as humans should not be so arrogant as to think we can destroy the planet just because we drive cars and SUVs. When I was a teenager, global cooling was the big scare put out by all the environmental whackos. Yes, that was designed as a money-grab, too, but it never panned out. In 20 years we will all be embarrassed by what we let these nut job whacko environmentalists dictate what vehicles we drive and how we live our lives.

What has this mortgage crises got to do with the size of your vehicle?

In July/August of 2005, when gas prices hit $3/gallon for the first time, I owned a Honda Odyssy. It got 18 - 20 MPG and was costing me $150 - 200/month to fill up. At that point in time, I decided to trade it in. It was 2 years old and I traded it for a Toyota Prius. It now costs me $50/month in gas and I get on average 53 MPG.

I had a 5 year loan when I bought the Honda and when I traded for the Prius, just took out a 3 year loan and my payments only increased by $25/month. The Prius will be paid for early next year. I am so happy I made the decision to trade in at that time. Many people said I was jumping the gun and panicking too much. Now some of these same people can't unload their SUV's because the dealerships won't give them anything for them.

My cousin owns an Expedition that they bought a little over a year ago (brand new) and they went to trade it in last month. The dealer offered them $10,000. :scared1: Needless to say, they are keeping it.

Our parents managed with smaller vehicles because they didn't use car seats/booster seats. I remember rolling around in the back of station wagons with my friends--thank goodness we were never in an accident.

If a family has more then 2 children relatively close in age, it's very hard to find a sedan that can accomodate it.

Okay, good point, but most people in this country don't have more than two kids, so I think most could get by with smaller vehicles if they had to.

We just haven't had to think about it for awhile since gas has been so incredibly cheap.

I don't know, I just think that we've been building everything bigger....bigger houses, bigger autos, heck, *we're* bigger as Americans. I mean look as how fat we've gotten as a nation since the 1970s.

I don't think that what we're seeing now is a cyclical thing as far as downsizing in cars and likely in homes. I think it's a structural change. Are SUVs going away? No, I don't think so. But they'll be a little smaller, and much more expensive to operate than in the past.

The way I look at it, if folks are buying new, more efficient cars just to be green, then :thumbsup2 for you. Just be careful if $ is the main thing you're trying to save.

People also need to be aware that disposing of a car that isn't near end-of-life for a more efficient car isn't necesarily green. Not all car parts can be recycled and it's still wasteful to buy new cars. I am not saying that it's always right to keep a car forever, just that the choice isn't always clear-cut.

I think all of us here are smart enough to determine what is right for our situations.

Okay, good point, but most people in this country don't have more than two kids, so I think most could get by with smaller vehicles if they had to.

We just haven't had to think about it for awhile since gas has been so incredibly cheap.

I don't know, I just think that we've been building everything bigger....bigger houses, bigger autos, heck, *we're* bigger as Americans. I mean look as how fat we've gotten as a nation since the 1970s.

I don't think that what we're seeing now is a cyclical thing as far as downsizing in cars and likely in homes. I think it's a structural change. Are SUVs going away? No, I don't think so. But they'll be a little smaller, and much more expensive to operate than in the past.

Well, even if you have only two kids, kids have friends, and you end up carpooling...so BANG! You need a bigger car....why on earth do you think moms drive minivans???:lmao:

The folks I know who have SUVs either tow boats or campers, or they live in cold snowy weather where they need more of a truck than a car.

Ipast.

While small cars first came on the scene in the 70s, most people still had big boats.

I still remember my friend's Ford LTD...it was huge! Very fun to drive as a teen though...I had my dad's Ambassador, another big, fast V8

We have 4 paid for vehicles. :) However, we're trying to decide where to cut back.

I drive an 05 Audi A6 sedan. The kids (3) are all in their britax seats in the back. It's comfy, not squahsed, and the trunk is huge. This is my preferred car to drive. However it gets like 18-19 mpg city, and about 25 highway. Not horrible, but could be better.

DH drives an 04 accord coupe. Will not seat the entire family but he gets about 25 mpg city, so it's his to/from work car - but work is only 5 miles or less away.

DH has an 84 F150. Gets rotten gas mileage, but we're building on 6 acres right now, so we need the truck to haul tractor attachments, hay for the goats, etc. I wish we could get a nice extended cab/bed truck so it could be a family use vehicle if needed but they're long, spendy to buy & drive.

We have an 04 Expedition. It's a nice vehicle, lots of options, but I don't like driving it. We use it when we drive to Disney, or sometimes Costco or trips where we need to haul big stuff or bring people/family with us (seats up to 8 - and we already take up 5). Gas mileage is like 13 city.

Since they're all paid for, and DH likes the roomy expedition, we've considered trading in the expedition for a explorer or something that's about the same cost or cheaper but a bit better gas mileage. I'd like to sell it all together, but he wants a family vacation drive vehicle (which I think should get good g/m if we're driving far). DH thought about selling his car (accord) and driving his truck or SUV to work since its not far.

We can't decide what to do. We don't want to lose money, just get more effiecient vehicles for 5+ people. I don't want to get rid of my audi. The only thing I'd consider trading it for is the audi q7, but that's kind of an suv and the mile age wouldn't be any better. Any suggestions? We don't need 4 vehicles, and we do need the good gas mileage. I've actually taken the bus with the kids a few times this summer since it's free and a fun thing for us to do. I'm so cheap. :)

Oh, and my Dad just came down from Canada to get a good deal on a diesel excursion! It's just him that drives around alone. It made me ill. It cost him like $200 or more to fill it up. LOL. Serves him right.

If you sold the Expedition and the Accord Coupe in order to buy a 7-passenger SUV (for the '5+ passengers' need you mentioned), the Honda Pilot would have to be #1 on your list.

Then your DH would be able to drive either the Pilot or the F-150 to work.

You didn't mention where you live, so if there's a large reputable auto dealer nearby, you'd undoubtedly save several thousand dollars by buying a used Pilot or a similar-sized SUV.

We have 5 kids, so we are keeping our expedition. My explorer on the other hand is not needed at this point. Its paid for (95), but I drive 3,000 miles a month. At $4 a gallon, thats roughly $700 a month in gas.

I just bought a used toyota corolla which gets 35+mpg, which is $340 a month in gas. The payment is $200 a month for a totla of $540 a month.

I am saving $160 a month and I am driving a newer car. As for the explorer, I kept it since it was paid off and I'll use it during bad snow storms for the 4-wheel drive.

$160 a month is a nice chunk towards a disney trip ! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter