4 days in LA- itinerary support and LA area hotel

With the other responses I’m questioning doing universal at all- maybe just doing Warner bros studio tour instead and that enables us to do 2 days at DL and possibly include the vip for a day should I feel spendy in my planning
As I was working my way down the page I was thinking I should suggest the WB tour and skipping Universal but someone beat me to it.

I’m starting to debate renting a house in Newport or Laguna on the beach for the 2nights between something like the Garland and GCV 🤔

We are also doing a two week trip celebrating our twin sons’ high school graduation.
Congratulations! 😊
All my son’s decisions are made and it was a very stressful front half of the year. I hope your sons’ have a great back half of their senior year!

Ohio has neither mountains nor beach but a lot of farm fields and some trees 😊 love the beach and my boys have only seen Atlantic/Caribbean or the wild beaches of the ONP.

I’ve spent a fair bit of time in Orange County for work but only get to venture to a beach for a quick dinner every once in awhile.
Just picked this because we intended to end at Santa Monica pier for our Route 66 end. I will check out your suggestion thank you!
South Bay (Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo) is much nicer than Santa Monica/Venice, but maybe not as much touristy stuff to see. It will have a similar feel to Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach, etc.

This is very helpful!

With the other responses I’m questioning doing universal at all- maybe just doing Warner bros studio tour instead and that enables us to do 2 days at DL and possibly include the vip for a day should I feel spendy in my planning

So. Many. Choices!
WB Studio tour is great, & Universal has a Studio tour as well in case you want to do both!!
WB Studio tour, 3hrs (F.R.I.E.N.D.S, Back to the Future, Dukes of Hazzard, etc)
Universal Studios tour, 1hr (Jaws, Psycho, Transformers, etc)

I’ve totally revamped my hotel reservations today and started to rough out my associated itinerary with the input you all have given me. Much appreciated!

Currently scheduled
Day 1 Drive over from Grand Canyon - Santa Monica Pier and other tourist spots
2 nights Garland (family suite- such a bonus as my kids won’t share a bed and it was hard to find rooms with 3 sleeping surfaces!)
Warner Bros tour/museums tbd probably Petersen Auto as my family are gearheads/touristy spots
Malibu
2 nights Airbnb Newport Beach
If we have touristy stuff still on our list we’ll do that the day we check in here
Relax on the full day we have- I think I would like to visit Laguna also
2 nights GCV 1BR (DVC)
2 days Disneyland

That looks like a good trip.

Joshua Tree is OK, but it's a day trip. Summer is hot (we've been there during the summer). Big Bear is OK too, but not much to do there. So good thing you got rid of the two :)

I’ve totally revamped my hotel reservations today and started to rough out my associated itinerary with the input you all have given me. Much appreciated!

Currently scheduled
Day 1 Drive over from Grand Canyon - Santa Monica Pier and other tourist spots
2 nights Garland (family suite- such a bonus as my kids won’t share a bed and it was hard to find rooms with 3 sleeping surfaces!)
Warner Bros tour/museums tbd probably Petersen Auto as my family are gearheads/touristy spots
Malibu
2 nights Airbnb Newport Beach
If we have touristy stuff still on our list we’ll do that the day we check in here
Relax on the full day we have- I think I would like to visit Laguna also
2 nights GCV 1BR (DVC)
2 days Disneyland
You'll get a good overview of the LA Southland with this itinerary. And you'll get a good idea of where you want to visit on your NEXT trip to Southern Cali.

I strongly, strongly urge driving the Pacific Coast Highway south from Malibu/Venice Beach around Rancho Palos Verdes and down to Newport. Beautiful hills on one side and a killer view of Santa Catalina Island and the Pacific Ocean out the other window.

I strongly, strongly urge driving the Pacific Coast Highway south from Malibu/Venice Beach around Rancho Palos Verdes and down to Newport. Beautiful hills on one side and a killer view of Santa Catalina Island and the Pacific Ocean out the other window.
great suggestion! My DH and I drove the PCH from San Fran to San Louis Obispo when he got back from Afghanistan and it was gorgeous. It will be nice to introduce my kiddos to it and I’m a sucker for scenic views. This might affect what we do on each day too so will keep that in mind as I organize activities

This, if you have the time is nice… It can get a little tricky thru the port of LA, but just keep the ocean on your right and you’ll be fine.

great suggestion! My DH and I drove the PCH from San Fran to San Louis Obispo when he got back from Afghanistan and it was gorgeous. It will be nice to introduce my kiddos to it and I’m a sucker for scenic views. This might affect what we do on each day too so will keep that in mind as I organize activities
Respectfully, I disagree with the suggestion to follow the route suggested above. Malibu and going north is coastal and beautiful. However, the non-freeway drive between Santa Monica and closer to Long Beach and then Huntington is mostly inland and you will not experience what you'd expect driving the 1/PCH. Even going through the fun South Bay cities (which your teens would likely enjoy if your itinerary were different), you primarily won't see the ocean while driving. And while the Palos Verdes/Rolling Hills area is lovely, it's not really worth a separate stop unless you're already in the South Bay.

Given your limited time, I would just enjoy the beach and ocean during your Malibu and/or Newport stops. And while I understand the wish to stop in Santa Monica and see the famous pier, etc. I'd also advise that Third Street Promenade is no longer the same, bustling area it once was. It's nowhere near deserted, but many retailers have left, and they're still trying to revive the area. So you may find your time in Santa Monica is shorter than expected.

A small correction so that anyone planning a trip to California will be sure to find the route they intend: the PCH only goes from Ventura County to Orange County. The route you describe is on the Cabrillo Highway. They're both named sections of California State Highway 1. I don't know how folks along the Central Coast refer to it (Cabrillo or Highway 1), but from at least Santa Cruz County to San Francisco, people call it Highway 1.

https://dot.ca.gov/-/media/dot-medi...-names/web-2020-named-freeways-final-a11y.pdf

If you like nice hotels, check out Terranea.
This looks amazing! Saving for the future 😊
I mapped from the garland to the observatory and to studios and it looks fairly centrally located. It’s nice all those activities you listed are in such close proximity so we spend less time driving (though being from the Midwest I don’t blink an eye at driving 2+ hrs for an activity)
Also… in case you don’t have enough things to do already
I do like to assess every option before choosing what to offer to my family to pick from. Thanks! ETA I’m going to check out flightdeck1. I have a son who is flight obsessed and wants to fly for the AF. I haven’t seen something that looks like that before
Given your limited time, I would just enjoy the beach and ocean during your Malibu and/or Newport stops. And while I understand the wish to stop in Santa Monica and see the famous pier, etc. I'd also advise that Third Street Promenade is no longer the same, bustling area it once was
Appreciate your knowledge! Hopefully that means we have time for extra stops
The route you describe is on the Cabrillo Highway. They're both named sections of California State Highway 1.
Appreciate the correction. I knew the northern highway was called hwy1 and also assumed it was called pch- I learned something!

Last edited:
Somewhere in this post I’m pretty sure my tag changed from Mouseketeer to Dis Veteran! That only took 12 years ish 🤣😬🎉
Eta: I must not be very observant- its DIS Veteran on the entire thread 🤦🏼‍♀️ nothing to see here 🤣

Last edited:
This is very helpful!

So. Many. Choices!
Have you been to universal Orlando? If so definitely skip. Even if not I think the studio tour would be more enjoyable and unique. Have a great trip!

Edit: just read your most recent post and your itinerary looks great! Lots of options and flexibility which with teens is key! Enjoy the Garland, the family suite worked great for us. Yay vaca!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter