4 days in LA- itinerary support and LA area hotel

LeslieLou

DIS Veteran
Looking for advice as we celebrate my DS Hs grad with his brother who will be 16 and me/DH
Our 14 day roadtrip ending with 4 days in LA is coming together after I booked a 1 BR at the Grand Californian this am for 7/25-27 (departing sna early 7/27). The 2 nights prior are currently booked at the Ritz Marina Del Ray. Could switch this…but where…or stick?
On 7/23 we’re driving over in the am from Big Bear to Santa Monica pier and other tourist stops and Griffith observatory.
7/24 thinking of Malibu and hiking / beach (opinions? Just want to experience something outdoorsy)
7/25 thinking of VIP experience at Universal
7/26 thinking of 1 day at Disneyland - we can swing the vip experience but debating this hard. I don’t want to spend more than a day here though, I don’t think…I could be convinced otherwise. VIP experience or something like a fancy watch for my DS😭or save for our next adventure…
7/27 departing 7am flight

Opinions on Splurging for VIP?
Opinions on 1 day w/o?
Opinions on Ritz Marina Del Ray?
Opinions on Malibu as the outdoorsy stop?

Have you been to Disneyland and/or DCA before? What are your priorities? Do you want to check out what the parks are about to say that you've been there, or do you want to ride the rides and experience everything that Disney's California resorts have to offer?

Personally, I think two nights at GCH might be a waste of money. You are going to arrive late on 7/25, spend 7/26 in the parks and leave early on 7/27. Are you looking for a nice hotel or a convenient location? You can stay at a very nice non Disney hotel for less which will allow you to spend your money elsewhere.

It sounds like some of your questions have to do with other things to do in So Cal. Have you taken a look at this forum California and the West? @Nike4000 wrote a couple of really good reviews about both the Disneyland VIP experience and the USH VIP experience.

Last edited:
ave you been to Disneyland and/or DCA before? What are your priorities? Do you want to check out what the parks are about to say that you've been there, or do you want to ride the rides and experience everything that Disney's California resorts have to offer?

Personally, I think two nights at GCH might be a waste of money. You are going to arrive late on 7/25, spend 7/26 in the parks and leave early on 7/27. Are you looking for a nice hotel or a convenient location? You can stay at a very nice non Disney hotel for less which will allow you to spend your money elsewhere.
I have been to Disneyland (1 day broke away from part of a work trip) my kids have not but we’ve been to Disney World a lot.
My goal is to experience LA and also not miss a chance to experience Disneyland but we only have 4 days unless we change our schedule and drive straight through from the Grand Canyon to LA and skip big bear. We are driving Route 66 starting in St Louis with some liberties. Originally I was going to stop in Palm Springs/joshua tree but a SoCal local told me it’s not a great idea in summer and recommended Big Bear instead
We are DVC so the GC is “free” (I don’t have another plan to use our points currently and I’ve already rented some out). So let’s call that sunk.

I have teenagers so thought Universal would be a good choice. I don’t want to spend our whole time in LA in theme parks. My kids have been to the Northwest but not CA before. I could get another 1.5-2 days if we don’t stop in BB.

thank you for the direction on the other threads I will read. Appreciate opinions on skipping BB or adjusting my other LA area plans.

You should be spending at least two days at DLR and using early entry on both days… or all three days…. Maybe in the summer, Disney will have a deal again for single park tickets and hoppers
Thank you for your input and I didn’t realize there was a deal last year. Do you happen to know when it was released?

We are driving Route 66 starting in St Louis with some liberties. Originally I was going to stop in Palm Springs/joshua tree but a SoCal local told me it’s not a great idea in summer and recommended Big Bear instead
Sounds like fun! Personally, I would skip Big Bear as well. Los Angeles is much more than theme parks. There are some really cool museums (Academy of Motion Pictures, Automotive Museum, Grammy Museum, Tar Pits, LACMA, etc) and great beaches, water sports and hikes without having to re-route to Big Bear.

If your boys are Harry Potter fans, I would definitely recommend Universal. Lots of HP themed attractions, restaurants, etc.

One day at DLR/DCA will be tough to do it all. Two would be better.

We like Paradise Cove at Malibu. Many, many movie, commercials, and TV shows filmed there (Rockford Files).

Griffith Observatory is great, especially if you can stay until dark and see the nighttime view over the LA Basin.

Sounds like fun! Personally, I would skip Big Bear as well. Los Angeles is much more than theme parks. There are some really cool museums (Academy of Motion Pictures, Automotive Museum, Grammy Museum, Tar Pits, LACMA, etc) and great beaches, water sports and hikes without having to re-route to Big Bear.
I talked to my son and cancelled the 2 night Big Bear stay- now I have 6 nights to work with in the LA area. I was struggling to fit in everything of interest so this should help and appreciate your thoughts here.
If your boys are Harry Potter fans, I would definitely recommend Universal. Lots of HP themed attractions, restaurants, etc.

One day at DLR/DCA will be tough to do it all. Two would be better.

We like Paradise Cove at Malibu. Many, many movie, commercials, and TV shows filmed there (Rockford Files).

Griffith Observatory is great, especially if you can stay until dark and see the nighttime view over the LA Basin.
Thank you! Will make a note about Malibu and timing of our observatory visit

Now I’m thinking I can have 2 days for Disney, 1 day Universal and 2 days for other stuff plus an evening after 8 hr drive from the Grand Canyon. If we do Malibu one day, tourist traps another and add in a museum or two we are jam packed.

I need to figure out where to add 2 nights of hotel. Or change the Ritz and spend 4 somewhere else (I don’t want to pay for 4 nights there)
Right now 2 open nights, 2 Ritz Marina Del Ray and 2 GCV

In summer, 2021, we stayed at the Hollywood Roosevelt on Hollywood Boulevard.

https://www.thehollywoodroosevelt.com/

I have to confess, I'm a sucker for old, historic hotels, and this place is definitely that. It's been modernized and has all the amenities. And it's dead center Hollywood. We did a good bit of walking along the Walk of Fame and down to the Sunset Strip.

While we didn't participate, there is a very active night life in the area. Think Hollywood version of Bourbon Street.

When we visited Universal earlier this year, we stayed at Hilton Universal City. Walking distance to the park and killer views of the San Fernando Valley and Studio City.

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/buruchf-hilton-los-angeles-universal-city/

Have you been to universal in Orlando? If so you can easily skip universal studios Hollywood unless your boys are huge Mario fans. Before nintendoland it was a half day park for us, and hogsmeade is dissapointing compared to the experience of hogsmeade-diagon alley in Florida. We’ve been back in California for 18 months and my boys haven’t asked to go back to Universal once, even with nintendoland.

What are your LA priorities? You can easily do Griffith observatory and Santa Monica pier on your drive down from LA, assuming you don’t have park tickets that day.

Agree with others that I would do 2 park days in DL if possible, and you wouldn’t need the VIP tour if doing 2 and using G+ and setting realistic.

Otherwise I might suggest 2 days in La, 2 at an orange county beach and then end with your grand Californian stay. That way you can get 2 full Disney days in with an earlier start on the 25 at Dland (vs driving down from LA, I would not attempt that on a park day.)

If you still want to only do 1 Disney day and can spring for the VIP tour I can imagine it would be a very cool experience to remember. I personally am an experience vs things (watch, jewelry) person but you know your DS best.

Have a great trip!

I talked to my son and cancelled the 2 night Big Bear stay- now I have 6 nights to work with in the LA area. I was struggling to fit in everything of interest so this should help and appreciate your thoughts here.

Thank you! Will make a note about Malibu and timing of our observatory visit

Now I’m thinking I can have 2 days for Disney, 1 day Universal and 2 days for other stuff plus an evening after 8 hr drive from the Grand Canyon. If we do Malibu one day, tourist traps another and add in a museum or two we are jam packed.

I need to figure out where to add 2 nights of hotel. Or change the Ritz and spend 4 somewhere else (I don’t want to pay for 4 nights there)
Right now 2 open nights, 2 Ritz Marina Del Ray and 2 GCV
I’m probably the wrong person to be answering as we have never been to CA, but we have our first trip planned for this summer. We are also doing a two week trip celebrating our twin sons’ high school graduation.

In LA, we are staying at the Garland in North Hollywood. We are not planning on visiting Universal, but the Garland is close and they run a shuttle to/from Universal throughout the day. It gets good reviews on TripAdvisor and is reasonably price compared to some of the other LA hotels we looked into staying at. It might be something worth looking into.

Have a great trip!

I’m probably the wrong person to be answering as we have never been to CA, but we have our first trip planned for this summer. We are also doing a two week trip celebrating our twin sons’ high school graduation.

In LA, we are staying at the Garland in North Hollywood. We are not planning on visiting Universal, but the Garland is close and they run a shuttle to/from Universal throughout the day. It gets good reviews on TripAdvisor and is reasonably price compared to some of the other LA hotels we looked into staying at. It might be something worth looking into.

Have a great trip!
The Garland is one of my favourite hotels. Has such a a fun hollywood vibe, like you’re staying at some old Hollywood producers property or soemthing. Be sure to check out their resort amenities!

Looking for advice as we celebrate my DS Hs grad with his brother who will be 16 and me/DH
Our 14 day roadtrip ending with 4 days in LA is coming together after I booked a 1 BR at the Grand Californian this am for 7/25-27 (departing sna early 7/27). The 2 nights prior are currently booked at the Ritz Marina Del Ray. Could switch this…but where…or stick?
On 7/23 we’re driving over in the am from Big Bear to Santa Monica pier and other tourist stops and Griffith observatory.
7/24 thinking of Malibu and hiking / beach (opinions? Just want to experience something outdoorsy)
7/25 thinking of VIP experience at Universal
7/26 thinking of 1 day at Disneyland - we can swing the vip experience but debating this hard. I don’t want to spend more than a day here though, I don’t think…I could be convinced otherwise. VIP experience or something like a fancy watch for my DS😭or save for our next adventure…
7/27 departing 7am flight

Opinions on Splurging for VIP?
Opinions on 1 day w/o?
Opinions on Ritz Marina Del Ray?
Opinions on Malibu as the outdoorsy stop?
Not sure if anyone has given options or not (i'll go back and read thru after i post), but my opinion on the Marina Del Rey hotel would be to head further south. ;)
https://www.beach-house.com/hermosa-beach/

Also may depend where you're from, mountains, beaches, city, etc?

Last edited:
The Garland is one of my favourite hotels. Has such a a fun hollywood vibe, like you’re staying at some old Hollywood producers property or soemthing. Be sure to check out their resort amenities!

I’m so glad to hear this! It looks really nice! I’m a little worried it might be a little too far from some of the things we want to do, but everything seems so spread out that I’m not sure there is one good central location to stay. The price is right, so we are staying put.

I’m so glad to hear this! It looks really nice! I’m a little worried it might be a little too far from some of the things we want to do, but everything seems so spread out that I’m not sure there is one good central location to stay. The price is right, so we are staying put.
Everything in LA is far. ;) just pack your patience and think of it as all a part of the adventure!

Not sure if anyone has given options or not (i'll go back and read thru after i post), but my opinion on the Marina Del Rey hotel would be to head further south. ;)
https://www.beach-house.com/hermosa-beach/

Also may depend where you're from, mountains, beaches, city, etc?
Ohio has neither mountains nor beach but a lot of farm fields and some trees 😊 love the beach and my boys have only seen Atlantic/carribean or the wild beaches of the ONP.

I’ve spent a fair bit of time in Orange County for work but only get to venture to a beach for a quick dinner every once in awhile.
Just picked this because we intended to end at Santa Monica pier for our Route 66 end. I will check out your suggestion thank you!

Have a great trip!
I will look into the Garland! It crossed my radar early in planning and worth a relook with our plans change up. Thanks!

Agree with others that I would do 2 park days in DL if possible, and you wouldn’t need the VIP tour if doing 2 and using G+ and setting realistic.

Otherwise I might suggest 2 days in La, 2 at an orange county beach and then end with your grand Californian stay. That way you can get 2 full Disney days in with an earlier start on the 25 at Dland (vs driving down from LA, I would not attempt that on a park day.)
This is very helpful!

With the other responses I’m questioning doing universal at all- maybe just doing Warner bros studio tour instead and that enables us to do 2 days at DL and possibly include the vip for a day should I feel spendy in my planning

So. Many. Choices!

If you want to do hiking, Griffith Park (same parking lot as the Observatory) has some hiking paths that might work for you. You get some amazing views of the Hollywood sign and the city.
I would skip Universal and spend more time at Disneyland. If you have Harry Potter fans, the Warner Brother studio tour has some Harry Potter stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter