4 Day Staycation (Resort Only) - AKL or Split Stay?

ct7878

Mouseketeer
Made a fairly last minute decision to do a quick staycation over July 4 holiday (we live about an hour away)- it will be myself, husband, 18 year old son and 18 month old baby. We go to the parks frequently and give the crowd level over July 4th, this will probably be a resort only stay to enjoy the downtime at the resort and have a few nice meals.

I have booked AKL for 4 nights, since I do feel like this resort offers a true “experience” - however, I was now wondering if it might be better to do a split stay- 2 nights AKL and 2 nights Beach Club. Never have done this before and not sure if with a baby it’s too much moving, given it’s such a short time… any experiences/thoughts on this, especially given the baby and the holiday weekend?

Let me preface this by saying I dislike split stays - but will do a 3/4 split in order to "try out" a new resort. I most dislike being homeless for a day, i.e. you need to check out by 11:00 AM but may not have your new room assignment until 3 or 4 PM or even later. With an 18 month old that could be an issue, especially for naps, unless your baby naps in the stroller. You can stay at the pool at AKL or use the pool at BC on moving day, but again you probably won't have a room to go to for some hours that day.

When it's 4 nights, I wouldn't do a split stay. Do all 4 nights at one resort. I don't think you would be able to use the most popular amenity at BCV - Stormalong Bay - but it is also close to a lot more food options.

Are you planning to cook in your resort?

We love split stays, and actually have a 3 night resort only split stay planned for Sept, but it’s just the two of us and we dont have a baby lol.

I think your plan sounds great, spend some time at AKL pool and trying all their food options then heading to BC where you also have YC and BW to visit. I would recommend breakfast at trattoria al forno if you do!

I do split stays just about every trip and would normally say go for it. However, since you aren't going to a park there is going to be a portion of the day that you do not have a room to take the baby to for a nap. You will have to be checked out of your room at AKL at 10, you could ask for an extended check out but even if you got it, that is only going to buy you a hour or two. There is a small chance the room at BC would be ready early, the earliest I've had a deluxe room be ready was around 1 or 2 so again, you will not have a room available. You can continue to hang at the pool at AKL and can go over to BC any time you want, you have access to both resorts for the full day on move day. There are plenty of air conditioned places to escape to at both resorts but again, you are going to be without your actual room for at least 3 to 4 hours most likely.

I would avoid a 2-night, 2-night split in any situation. You will be without a room for at least four hours and will have to pack and un-pack, which is inconvenient as it is, but with a baby, even more so. I would pick one resort and stick to it. Both AKL and BC are lovely, but if you have a car, you might even want to consider an off-site property to save some money.

I’d just stick to AKL. A 2:2 split stay would look like this:

1) Check In at 3/4pm
2) AKL
3) Homeless. Stuff is all packed up. No room to enjoy. No where to take baby.
4) BC
5) Check Out by 11am.

We did a 2/2 split stay… Copper Creek and BC right after Thanksgiving with a 4 and 6 year old. We love split stays and enjoy doing 2 resorts… we usually do 3/3, but this was a shorter trip and we wanted to try BC. We “sleep-in” on move day, check-out at 11, and then do a fun meal (character meal or Disney Springs). We’ve never had to wait till 4 for the new room, but I always plan our day with the expectation that we’ll be homeless till 4. I’m super organized and packing/re-packing does not stress me out… we have it down to a science! Does your 18 month old follow a strict schedule?

We’ve never had to wait till 4 for the new room, but I always plan our day with the expectation that we’ll be homeless till 4.

Lucky. Last time I was at BC our room wasn’t ready until 6:30pm. Not sure what happened or how we got lost in their system. Just reassurances it would be ready soon until someone actually looked into it.

Lucky. Last time I was at BC our room wasn’t ready until 6:30pm. Not sure what happened or how we got lost in their system. Just reassurances it would be ready soon until someone actually looked into it.
Uggg... I would be frustrated with 6:30pm. I'm sure it will happen to us at some point :( I feel like there was a thread about later than normal check-ins becoming more of the norm these days...

I love split stays, but not for such a short stay.
Pick one resort or the other and stay there for all 4 days.

AKL is an awesome resort to do a resort only stay. There is so much to do and look at at the hotel alone. Food options are great and more are a bus or uber ride away.
I wouldn't do a split stay for so short of a stay, especially with a baby. Too much hassle and being "homeless" until your second room is ready could be problematic with a little one.
I say unpack, get comfy and have a great time.

I would stay all 4 days at AKL. We stayed there 2 nights back in August 2019 after a beach trip (no park days for the family but I attended the DIS party at Pandora) and it was a huge success for my daughters. So much that we are doing our first split stay (Dolphin 6 nights/ AKL 2 nights) this summer so we can have a resort only day at AKL.

I dislike split stays...
Amen. The only splits I do are along the lines of... I book the week I want before flights are released, then when flights come out it's $500 cheaper to come in a day early or stay a day late, but the resort I initially booked isn't available that night.

If you don't plan to do any parks, I would choose an off-site hotel that has a pool/water park. Could probably stay the whole time in one location for a lot less $$$. Part of the reason Disney hotels cost more is proximity to their parks. If not using that feature, off-site would be my preference. Staying at two different hotels for a 4-night stay seems like a nuisance packing/unpacking and being without a room part of the time.

If you’re taking mid day breaks with a baby, I don’t see how you can be out of resort by 11 am and in another before 4 pm. It’s a long weekend and I wouldn’t risk mess ups with a small child.

Now if you stay on the monorail line you can actually view fireworks and ride the monorail, just a thought. We’ve stayed at AKL many times (thought of buying DVC) and there is just nothing else like it.

Depends on your baby. I just did a trip with my 18 month old and she naps in the middle of the day when you might not have a room. We ended up having to a do a split stay because I couldn’t get the full trip at one resort it was all sold out. Was a little stressful planning but ended up getting our room early so we didn’t have to worry about the nap. Before I had a baby I liked split stays you got to experience two different resorts.

Animal kingdom is a great resort for a resort stay. I’d highly recommend a savannah room it’s great hanging out on the balcony watching the animals all day

Made a fairly last minute decision to do a quick staycation over July 4 holiday (we live about an hour away)- it will be myself, husband, 18 year old son and 18 month old baby. We go to the parks frequently and give the crowd level over July 4th, this will probably be a resort only stay to enjoy the downtime at the resort and have a few nice meals.

I have booked AKL for 4 nights, since I do feel like this resort offers a true “experience” - however, I was now wondering if it might be better to do a split stay- 2 nights AKL and 2 nights Beach Club. Never have done this before and not sure if with a baby it’s too much moving, given it’s such a short time… any experiences/thoughts on this, especially given the baby and the holiday weekend?
I'm curious, what did you decide to do??? We have a split stay coming up later in July. We "bought" a 2 nt BCV reservation for my son's bday then added 3 nts elsewhere to it. Booked a stormalong bay cabana for the changeover day since we're not doing parks. We have the new resort studio rooms booked for the 3 other nights but my son is begging to stay at AKL instead. Our last staycation there was extremely relaxing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter