• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Isn't "have a magical day" the standard response for dealing with annoying guests like that?

That's the rumor but it is really about the way the CM says it. Have a magical day is actually what CMs are suppose to say at MK when saying good bye to guests. Epcot we had something stupid like enjoy your day of discovery hahaha. NO ONE used it unless they were the types that had to do everything by the books.

I just checked to see if my guess for the population of the US was correct- I was off by 18 million. And I have a bachelor's degree! Oh well.

Well, I'm going to use lack of any college degree as my excuse, but was off - short - by 60 million. Even worse, I was almost four million short on my state's population. Probably wouldn't be bad if I were in California or New York, but I underestimated Massachusetts by more than 50%. I got my city! Well, within 1,000. But I'm positive on the population in my apartment :D

Wow, OP, you sure got attacked! Not that I agree with what you did, (I don't) but seems like people are making it out to be far more than it was. I /see people being so outright rude to CM's that this would just be an irritation to me, not deserve all the 'negatives' you've received.
One or two stumping trivia questions, no big deal. Bombarding anyone with questions you think they should know the answers to plus having all those answers, and still referring to the encounter 16 years later? Impressing almost nobody.
I thought it was odd. I've always known a ballpark population for Canada. And yes 10 million doesn't seem much to an American. It's a 1/3 of our population. I assumed that the CMs in the countries would be able to answer some basic questions about their country. Guess I was wrong.
Seriously? California has a larger population? On the other hand, Canada IS the largest country :)

Last edited:

Whether there is or there isn't the OP shouldn't feel good about making someone feel bad.

I am a bit surprised though that there isn't something; not a quiz exactly but something. I remember the first time I went to Disney as an adult and the bus driver was just full of Disney trivia (and I believe he was right on most of it, wouldn't have said anything if he wasn't). With that, and what we were told at Universal, I just assumed that they are expected to know a certain amount. Oh well, doesn't really matter a hill of beans, just find it curious.

I think most CMs are Disney fans so will have a fair bit of knowledge; they're certainly not working there for the fantastic pay or benefits! Although there are always some exceptions - one of my sister's roommates has gone to Magic Kingdom for Traditions (their orientation) and to watch Wishes once before going home straight after and that is all the park time she's had in the 1.5 months they've been there! She's an odd one though, to say the least!

Before starting work all CMs are given a presentation that includes a brief history of the company, but I believe focuses more on company values, etc. Some may learn more trivia, etc. as part of training for their role. For example, character performers will know everything there is to know about their 'friends'! That may be the case with bus drivers; I don't know. I also don't know if Disney would suggest a CM brush up on their knowledge of Disney movies if it were affecting their job, e.g. if they were working at BOG without having seen Beauty and the Beast so were unable to keep character with the guests.

I can definitely see that Universal would want to make sure that all their employees in WWOHP are very familiar with the Harry Potter universe; it's far more detailed than any Disney universe (simply by being 7 books/8 movies and designed for an older audience) and I think the fans would be pickier about details too!

My dd is on the DCP, started in Sept. She had, maybe, 6 hrs of 'training' in all things Disney as part of her Traditions class. It used to be done over days, now it's hours. So, no, no trivia is talked about. Many of the DCP kids have never even been to WDW, so they have no idea what you're even talking about when you get into Disney trivia. My dd has been going to WDW since she was 5....could probably give park tours! So, she knows a fair amount of trivia...but I'm pretty sure there is also a lot that she doesn't know.
She has had her fair share of 'those' guests. She smiles, then wonders (to herself) what that person's deal was...what the heck were they trying to prove. Then, she goes back to her apt, and laughs about the nimrods she had to deal with that day!!
Some people just like to feel that they know a lot. Those that truly do, tend to keep it to themselves unless asked.

I think most CMs are Disney fans so will have a fair bit of knowledge; they're certainly not working there for the fantastic pay or benefits! Although there are always some exceptions - one of my sister's roommates has gone to Magic Kingdom for Traditions (their orientation) and to watch Wishes once before going home straight after and that is all the park time she's had in the 1.5 months they've been there! She's an odd one though, to say the least!

Before starting work all CMs are given a presentation that includes a brief history of the company, but I believe focuses more on company values, etc. Some may learn more trivia, etc. as part of training for their role. For example, character performers will know everything there is to know about their 'friends'! That may be the case with bus drivers; I don't know. I also don't know if Disney would suggest a CM brush up on their knowledge of Disney movies if it were affecting their job, e.g. if they were working at BOG without having seen Beauty and the Beast so were unable to keep character with the guests.

I can definitely see that Universal would want to make sure that all their employees in WWOHP are very familiar with the Harry Potter universe; it's far more detailed than any Disney universe (simply by being 7 books/8 movies and designed for an older audience) and I think the fans would be pickier about details too!

Lol. You have a point! If a poor employee said the wrong twin lost his ear or gave the wrong answer about why Peter Pettigrew did or didn't show up on the map, they would be run out! I feel for them having to know all that since some answers come from the books, some from movies and some from the website.

I have never asked anyone a question like that at any park so honestly just thought Universal got the idea from Disney.

How can you all be so brutal to me? It was an enjoyable experience, and there was even a little magic spread around that day. Frankly, I'm getting tired of so many negative responses to posts I make. All I'm doing is trying to make conversation with recollections about past trips. I don't need this type of aggravation.

You know I am betting that CM went home and told their friends about the, ummm person, they met in the park that day.

If your fondest memories are of humiliating people - REALLY?!?!?

Lol. You have a point! If a poor employee said the wrong twin lost his ear or gave the wrong answer about why Peter Pettigrew did or didn't show up on the map, they would be run out! I feel for them having to know all that since some answers come from the books, some from movies and some from the website.

I have never asked anyone a question like that at any park so honestly just thought Universal got the idea from Disney.

I don't think everyone who works at HP needs to have a vast knowledge of HP. The guys at Dragon Challenge could just say no clue we were off in blah blah blah working with the Dragons at the time or whatever. At both parks they are just suppose to say I don't know in theme that is all.

Of course I don't know anyone who goes around even in HP quizzing the TMs and CMs on the knowledge of their area. You can be in theme with out really knowing all the nitty gritty details. I feel sorry for anyone who thinks they need to make the TMs and CMs jobs even harder by demanding they know everything about their movie or area.

I don't think everyone who works at HP needs to have a vast knowledge of HP. The guys at Dragon Challenge could just say no clue we were off in blah blah blah working with the Dragons at the time or whatever. At both parks they are just suppose to say I don't know in theme that is all.

Of course I don't know anyone who goes around even in HP quizzing the TMs and CMs on the knowledge of their area. You can be in theme with out really knowing all the nitty gritty details. I feel sorry for anyone who thinks they need to make the TMs and CMs jobs even harder by demanding they know everything about their movie or area.

Hell, I've read all the books (a few of them multiple times) and seen all the movies, and I still get some of the trivia wrong. It's just kind of rude to try to do that to someone doing their job. They certainly can't tell you that you are bugging them.

And I'm sorry, OP (if you are still reading this), but that wasn't something positive. I'm sure if that CM ever thought of you, those thoughts weren't about how you made them feel down in the dumps. More likely, they thought about the doofus who was a bit of a "mean girl".

I don't know anyone who would do that either. The lady at the resort was talking to dd about college and she told her that she would love to come down and work a summer in Universal and the conversation went to the Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade. She said that they were quizzed to make sure they could answer any question for their area--Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley and about HP. She said to make it seem as though you really are in Diagon Alley, it would only make sense for them to know everything there is to know about their most famous wizard! I do know they are very into character in each section. But we didn't try any of them.

I thought what she said was interesting and makes sense that for it to be as themed as it is, they would want the people there to be knowledgeable about all things HP. She did say that most of the ones working there came as huge HP fans so they knew it all anyway. Taking the ages of most of them, I am pretty sure all of them are part of the fandom that has rehashed every scene from all 7 books and 8 movies a dozen times.

She also said she herself was questioned about things about Universal and the movies/cartoons/books/shows represented in the parks.

During the Harry Potter Celebration I was commenting to the lady selling me my Butterbeer that they would make a ton of $$ if they sold it at the concession stand near the stage - so much more convenient. She mentioned that it wouldn't be good to sell it out the in Muggle World. I thought that was a great answer, staying in character during the conversation. It wasn't necessarily knowing trivia, just knowing how it all works. It was a good lesson for this Muggle! ;) Keeps the magic going. Like when they tell me Mickey is leaving to get a piece of cheese when I know darn when he's (she's!) not. LOL

Seriously? California has a larger population? On the other hand, Canada IS the largest country :)

Canada's pop just surpassed 35 million. Depending when this was, yes, being off by 10 million is like 1/3 of our population.

I don't remember any conversations where I upstaged a cast member, though there were possibly times when I could have.
I do remember the time where a young cast member and I at the Hollywood Studios carried on a conversation about quantum physics. It was a short conversation, of course ! :)

Very true. I think it's just a matter of knowing enough that you can keep in character. For example, my sister works Fantasyland merch and her main costume looks a lot like Rapunzel's dress. If people 'tell them that their dresses look like Rapunzel's they're meant to say something like, 'thanks, she actually made them when she was locked in the tower!'. I could Disney therefore having an issue if they said 'who's Rapunzel?'. They are also encouraged to develop a character for themselves - she has decided that she is Merryweather's apprentice (so beware if she pixie dusts you - your shirt may wind up a different colour!) and a friend who was asked if he was meant to be Prince Charming declared that no, he was his jealous cousin.

Very true. I think it's just a matter of knowing enough that you can keep in character. For example, my sister works Fantasyland merch and her main costume looks a lot like Rapunzel's dress. If people 'tell them that their dresses look like Rapunzel's they're meant to say something like, 'thanks, she actually made them when she was locked in the tower!'. I could Disney therefore having an issue if they said 'who's Rapunzel?'. They are also encouraged to develop a character for themselves - she has decided that she is Merryweather's apprentice (so beware if she pixie dusts you - your shirt may wind up a different colour!) and a friend who was asked if he was meant to be Prince Charming declared that no, he was his jealous cousin.

Those little spontaneous moments are fun and make Disney seem magical, even for adults -- let alone how something like that can spark a child's imagination. Lots of CMs work long hours dealing with lots of people, many not very pleasant people at that, often in very hot conditions for not a lot of pay. I'm sure it doesn't add to the magic dealing with guests who think it's fun to try to "upstage" them and cause them to end their shift and head home "down in the dumps".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter