$310 electric bill

Our bill was around $300 this month but half of it went to charging our cars (DH has an all electric Bolt and I have a plug in hybrid Volvo). But given gas prices it’s a bargain to have that electric increase. We are also getting solar panels. We are contracted but waiting for our turn in the queue

Air conditioning is one of my "high maintenence" spare no expenses needs.
no kidding. After growing up in FL with a dad who begrudged every penny he had to pay to the greedy electric company and constant battles over the thermostat, I turn that sucker DOWN when I need to. I will eat rice and beans if necessary, but I'm gonna feel COOL doing it.

Our bill was around $300 this month but half of it went to charging our cars (DH has an all electric Bolt and I have a plug in hybrid Volvo). But given gas prices it’s a bargain to have that electric increase. We are also getting solar panels. We are contracted but waiting for our turn in the queue

How long is your wait for your panels? We had several months of waiting even 5 years ago. It's definitely a popular thing to do these days!!

I'm afraid to see what our bill will be for July, we've been running the air conditioners a lot this month.

Where is it cooler? We have had so many 90 degree days this summer! Way more than normal
Pacific Northwest (Oregon for me). It's been really cool so far, though it's supposed to be 90 today and tomorrow. Last year was horrific, with record highs in June.

no...sorry, just the thermostat, the tools in shop don't get used and the pool grotto is not run.
We have the low usage things, like lights, TV
so you have no a/c in the house for that period of time? I work and so now I don't even run the a/c until 4pm since no one is home but there is no way I am not running the a/c when I am at home.

Question for those who do the balanced/budget billing program:

Does your power company have override control over your thermostats? Our power company does when you choose this billing program. They can remotely control your thermostat/energy usage during "peak energy need times" as they wish. This is the reason I will never subscribe to this type of billing system. I will never let the power company dictate when I can run my AC and how low it can be set.

Our Electric Company doesn't have any control over our system. We did use to have a thing on our AC where they could turn it off for a few seconds remotely a few times a day - we never even noticed that they did it, but apparently across the board with everyone participating, it saved a ton of electricity. When we got our new unit though, we didn't have them come back out and put one on.

That’s about what our bill runs in summer, with central air and a pool that crank it up. It’s less outside of the summer except for Christmas season because of lights. I’m glad that some of you have it better. 👍🏻

Rookie numbers. My condo in Hawaii had a typical electric bill of $450 in June/July. When I was renting it out, one family managed to generate a $800 electric bill in March! The cheapest I ever saw was about $280 in January. One of the many reasons why I no longer own a condo in Hawaii. 🌈
And one of the many reasons why I no longer live in the US Virgin Islands. Electricity there is $.41/kWh. Our average monthly bill year round was $350-$400, with NO A/C !! The pool pump alone cost us $150/mo. We moved 8 years ago.

Can you imagine your bill being almost 4 times higher ? I still get giddy when I open my bill here in Western North Carolina. My upcoming bill for period ending yesterday is $98.51. 3 bedroom/2 bath house.

so you have no a/c in the house for that period of time? I work and so now I don't even run the a/c until 4pm since no one is home but there is no way I am not running the a/c when I am at home.
no...no AC from 3-6 pm weekdays.
It gets up to 82, so not so bad

When I lived in AZ with solar we would pre cool all day down to 68 and when peak times hit it went up to 77 and we had a demand limiter that helped us stay on target for our peak demand (demand based pricing with solar at that time) I give you credit for being able to just shut it off for 3 hours

NOT SO BAD??????

We keep our AC on 66.

If the house got up to 82 during the day it would never make it back to a comfortable 66 by bedtime.

I have told my kids that I would rather they go hungry than have to set the AC >66. They have agreed they would rather not eat than be warm.

We're about the same....$292, and in our case about 1/4 of that is from charging our Tesla Y. Overall the rate is up about 15% from the previous year. Our house is older...1600 square foot home built pre-1915, so we're not complaining about that bill.

NOT SO BAD??????

We keep our AC on 66.

If the house got up to 82 during the day it would never make it back to a comfortable 66 by bedtime.

I have told my kids that I would rather they go hungry than have to set the AC >66. They have agreed they would rather not eat than be warm.

To keep the AC at 66 in Arizona would probably break the air conditioner or be extremely expensive.

To keep the AC at 66 in Arizona would probably break the air conditioner or be extremely expensive.
It works that same way in GA. We only get about 7-10 years from the AC that serves the second floor.

But it is a priority.

I have had a PSE&G budget plan for the last 5 years and I like it, no guessing what my bill will be. This year I'm at $177 a month, stayed the same since the winter, I have paid over $150 so far, but with this heatwave and my AC on 75 degrees for most of the day, it's off at 11PM because we're fine sleeping with our ceiling fan since we get too cold with AC, so I may eat that $150 up. Our house is about 2,000 sq feet.

Big key is the indoor humidity. Right now, outside dew point is at 73º, quite high. Inside humidity is 46%, quite low. That low indoor humidity allows a higher temperature for us, usually 75-76º, and still be an extremely comfortable, almost chilly feeling.

NOT SO BAD??????

We keep our AC on 66.

Well if you go outside and it is 110, coming back in to 85 degrees feels pretty darn good. It is just 3 hours. Our AC is set at 77

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter